Acer Aspire One keyboard "Fn" problem

Found one of those "Surely OP will deliver" threads buried in the Build A PC forum here, from back in January of 2009(!) and it was a classic case of not only OP failing to deliver, but also of the whole thread (4 posts total, not much, right?) having been locked, on top of that.

Some poor schlub "dladysvmp" was having an issue with the aforementioned Aspire One netbook in the form of "whenever I use my laptop keyboard the Fn function is "on" for the numeric keypad (the one usually on the right side of a normal keyboard)" and a kind user "kimsland" provided help in the form of a dual answer "Try holding down the function key and hitting the numlock or scroll lock key" to which OP replied with a cryptic "this actually worked!" to which "kimsland" very reasonably responded to with "which one worked?" to which OP did a disappearing act, never to be heard from again.

Locked thread, so I could not jump in there, so I have to do this instead (I just created this account to put this here because there's a bit of a twist to the tale).

To deal with the Fn numlock function being unwantedly on (Press the 'K' key on the keyboard, get a '2' as a result) by default, holding down the Fn key and "hitting" the NumLk key (which is also the F11 key, just to make things even less clear, eh?) will turn will turn the numlock function off and all will be well.

Except that.

Except that if you simply hold down Fn and give NumLk a quick tap, it WILL NOT WORK.

After much time, wasted effort, and annoyance, I discovered that you must hold down NumLk for a full second, maybe less, maybe more, might depend on your machine's own personal quirks, I dunno, in order for things to "take" and for the damnable numlock function to be properly shut off, for good and for real.

And now I'm merrily on my way, installing Linux Lite 3.8 on to my little Aspire One, to allow it to become a dedicated controller for a music system, for which purpose it is well-endowed with plenty of horsepower and functionality.

But holy goodgollamighty was it ever a first-order ordeal to figure out how to disable that miserable numlock function!

Until I learned the trick of holding the keystroke down just a hair longer than you might otherwise expect to when being told to "tap" or "hit" something.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Back