Acer founder: Microsoft's move into tablet market is just temporary

Jos

Staff

Reports indicate Microsoft didn’t give its long list of OEM partners much of a heads up before announcing its foray into full hardware production with the Surface tablet earlier this week. But even though this means the likes of Dell, Acer, Asus, HP and others will have to go into direct competition with Microsoft, perhaps they shouldn’t be too worried. At least according Acer co-founder Stan Shih, who claims the move is temporary, with Microsoft using a branded product to lead the way for other manufacturers before stepping back.

Speaking to Taipei-based Digitimes, the executive assured that Microsoft "has no real intention to sell own-brand tablet PCs" because it wouldn’t bring as much profit as simply licensing its software products. Shih claims the software giant is just looking to boost adoption of Windows 8 tablets and help expand market demand for the product line, but “once the purpose is realized Microsoft will not offer more models.”

We’re not sure if he has actual knowledge of Microsoft’s plans or if that’s just wishful thinking. Microsoft seems to have put a lot of effort into designing the Surface and went out of its way to keep it secret until the last minute to avoid upsetting their partners — why would this be an issue if they are pulling out eventually?

That said, it wouldn’t be a completely unheard of move in the industry. Google, for example, has done the same in the past with their Nexus family of smartphones and is expected to release a tablet soon. In their case however, they always partner with an OEM to design and produce the hardware.

Permalink to story.

how about the tablet OS market? the one that they are thinking passes as a desktop OS? I hope to god thats temporary.

Microsoft is tired of 3rd parties putting out shoddy hardware that cheapens Windows' image. They are in a unique place since righting the ship with Windows 7 and hopefully have learned from Apple that you need to tightly control the hardware to ensure a good experience.

That said, I think it's completely possible that Microsoft will continue to offer their own tablet, but at a premium, while setting minimum specifications for 3rd parties like they did with Windows Phone 7. A little Googling will reveal that "ensuring a minimum acceptable experience" was the reason for requiring 3rd party phone makers to adopt minimum hardware specifications for Windows Phone 7 before being certified to make and sell a WP7 device.

I'm not a MS fanboy (W7 desktop, Macbook Air, Android phone, PS3 + Xbox 360 gaming system) but I am genuinely excited about these new tablets. I've used Windows 8 on a lowly Acer Iconia (AMD C-50 1.0GHz CPU, 2GB RAM) and it flies. I can't get used to W8 navigation quite yet without touch, but with a touch enabled device, W8 is very well designed.

Now to see how much further (and how well) Microsoft can integrate the various devices; Windows 8 tablets/desktops, Windows 8 phones, and the XBox 360.

So either Mr Softee is competing with partners or the surface is a temporary loss leader. Neither option bodes well for surface sales. Why buy the 1st model if (a) there's going to be better ones from OEMs and surface goes the way of palm/HP or (b) there's going to be better ones from Mr Softee.

This is going to sell for $800 or more. Android or iOS will be a better deal...

I think whether this will end up a temporary move or not will depend on how well it sells.

So either Mr Softee is competing with partners or the surface is a temporary loss leader. Neither option bodes well for surface sales. Why buy the 1st model if (a) there's going to be better ones from OEMs and surface goes the way of palm/HP or (b) there's going to be better ones from Mr Softee.

I think Mr. Guestee here is forgetting one little thing. this is a fully fledged OS for the $800 tablet not a stripped down mobile OS. The biggest thing to remember here is that this is "the new wave of laptops" this is to be your mobile workstation, not your glorified e-reader that your 6 year old games on.

Quite an impressive piece of hardware in my opinion and I see the OEM's doing what they always do. Make a piece of crap dummy clone, and then the one you actually want is going to be $1600. then everyone will question why M$ is cheaper and they answer screaming in your face is that M$ isnt trying to make money off the hardware, but sell you the software so the premium is going to be much less (in theory of course =])

So not that M$ will be cheaper, but for the quality to price ratio they will most likely be the best bet for a while

And Apple replaces their products every year, Intel does the same for their chips, coincidentally so does AMD and Nvidea. Actually, I think we could just go out on a limb and say that this is the case for the tech industry as a whole.

Idunno though, what do you think? Am I off my rockers?

I think he's absolutely right. "PC" hardware manufacturers need a good hard kick in the butt. They simply weren't delivering the goods necessary to compete with the iProducts. So Microsoft took the mantle and ran with it. I expect them to limit production and/or keep prices high so as to not threaten their hardware partners. Probably license the design out ad-hoc on favorable terms, etc.

Let's face it' Windows has it's problems, and the hardware ecosystem (ignoring the benefits) is a huge problem.

Microsoft created the tablet and presented in 2002 and world was like "eh".

Apple created the iPad about 8 years later and gives one hell of a presentation and the world falls all over itself.

Microsoft decides to try to get back into the tablet arena and everyone says they are copying Apple.

Microsoft wouldn't have put the effort into developing the unique features of the Surface devices if they were just feinting at the tablet hardware market. Google Nexus phones were never even remotely as distinguished in their features as Surface is.

Acer can't be blamed for hoping that competing with Surface tablets is a bad dream that they will wake up from. The message of Surface is that low quality tablets won't cut it for Win8. Acer has to adapt or stay out.

I'm wondering if Microsoft is likely to become a supplier of keyboard covers to others in the tablet business.

Back