Acer laptop possibly dead?

learninmypc

While I'm waiting to see if the owner had any cd's or dvd's for it, I boot it up & it says
Intel UNDI , PXE-2.1 (build 083)
Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: (Of which I'm not going to list unless necessary)
Realtek PCIe GBE Family ControllerSeries v2.59 (01/13/14)
PE-E61 : Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
No bootable device-- insert boot disk and press any key

The above is white print on black background. I did try booting it into safemode but no go.

Sounds like the hard drive is gone.. Due to the message. No bootable device- insert boot disk.

That is the first thing I thought as he handed it to me showing that. Oddly enough, I googled "no bootable device" & the video I saw showed a guy undoing screw on the back of the laptop & then he wiped the brass contacts of some thing retried it & still nothing so he did something else that I couldn't see & it booted up. Weird, I know. I still haven't heard back from the owner but I am guessing it is dead. Thank you :)

Sorry to hear that. But most case when you get that error. It is the hard drive.
I'd still like to know how to open it up to see how accessible the harddrive might be in case he wants me to replace it & re install the harddive/OS. But like previous ones, if it proves too difficult, I'll let him have a shop do it. They screw it up, they pay, I screw it up,Oh oh.

Most laptops I have messed with, Have easy access to the hard drive. On the back side their is a little square panel with four screws. Underneath it is the hard drive. Some times the hard drive then has a bracket to remove. After that you can disconnect them.Just remember after you replace the hard drive. To make sure he has a recovery disk.

Yes, I tried & its obviously factory sealed because I couldn't "easily" budge the screws.
I'm expecting him to stop by this afternoon/evening & I'll talk to him then. I might continue to try.

Top one is the rear side of laptop & you can see on the right side is what I think might be the battery or who knows what. It don't open, I've tried to.

I think he said this laptop is a couple years old. Which is why I'm hesitant in case it "might" be covered on a warranty, possibly extended? Hmmm. :)

Check with him on the warranty. If that is the battery. You will have to take the back side off to get to it. He maybe better off taking it to a shop. There are so many small parts that can get broken. If you are not familar with the laptop.

Yes, newer laptops are cheaper because they have fewer parts. The removal of the top cover will expose all the parts like hard drive and memory.You have to remove all the bottom screws. The battery should still be removable from the bottom but it this model it may be inside

Yes, newer laptops are cheaper because they have fewer parts. The removal of the top cover will expose all the parts like hard drive and memory.You have to remove all the bottom screws. The battery should still be removable from the bottom but it this model it may be inside
Ok, but since it is not my decision I will have to wait to talk to the individual that ownes it.

The individual that brought the Acer laptop to me has taken it with him & I told him the harddrive has crashed & to see if it is still under warranty & if so, have Acer take care of it.

Back