Acer launches their first 4K notebook with high-end hardware

Scorpus

Staff member

Just a few years ago you'd be lucky to find a half-affordable laptop that packed a 1080p display. Nowadays it's all about 4K, with Acer the latest company to join in on the action by releasing a 4K variant of their Aspire V Nitro Black Edition notebook.

The new Aspire V Nitro Black Edition comes with a 15.6" Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) display, which features an impressive pixel density of 282 PPI. To power all 8.2 million pixels, Acer includes an Intel Core i7-4710HQ quad-core CPU and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 860M, alongside 16 GB of DDR3 memory and a combination of a 256 GB SSD with a 1 TB hard drive.

The graphics card that Acer has gone with isn't the most powerful going around, but it should be enough for some occasional gaming. You just might need to turn down the graphics settings, especially if you plan on playing at the display's native resolution.

With Acer choosing to focus on performance in the 4K version of the Aspire V Nitro, it comes at the expense of portability. The machine weighs in at 2.4 kg and is 23.9mm thin, and battery life from the three-cell battery is rated at only "up to 4 hours".

The Aspire V Nitro Black Edition will be available through the usual retail channels this month, and will set you back $1,500.

Permalink to story.

That 3 cell battery might be less than they're estimating. They should have gone with 6 cell battery to really get that 4 hrs estimate. 4K pushing now with ACER. They make some excellent computer gear. But to keep the cost under 2K they use a moderate 4K tech in the top end laptop.

High end ? an outdated gpu and the other hardware isnt really high end. nope, acer keep failing :p

High end ? an outdated gpu and the other hardware isnt really high end. nope, acer keep failing :p
For a company that's 'failing' they are sure showing good profit and doing pretty well for themselves. If that's your idea of failure then success to you must be most other peoples impression of failure.

I bet its a 30Hz screen? I reckon it is an understatement about turning down graphics yes you have to play it all on low settings @ 30hz to get a "playable framerate".

For a company that's 'failing' they are sure showing good profit and doing pretty well for themselves. If that's your idea of failure then success to you must be most other peoples impression of failure.
have u ever owned acer products ? yeah they sell good, but they also break and fail good. would be fun to find the firm who have most repairs on their systems :) acer would be high on that list ;)

have u ever owned acer products ? yeah they sell good, but they also break and fail good. would be fun to find the firm who have most repairs on their systems :) acer would be high on that list ;)
That sounds like an opinion not fact...Acer products have been fine throughout the years with a few hiccups here and there just like every other company in the realm of laptops.

4k on a GTX 860m...I do not see that going over to well...

That sounds like an opinion not fact...Acer products have been fine throughout the years with a few hiccups here and there just like every other company in the realm of laptops.

4k on a GTX 860m...I do not see that going over to well...
it still dont make it high end. if u are power and gamer user, u will know what high end is.

Can't even see the 2k display. Most seniors at the ymca I talk to can't either, which is why seniors don't do computers.

Yep I do. In fact I have a cheapo Acer Aspire laptop at the moment which is about 2 years old and I've never had any trouble with it. It'll easily last another 2 years.

I have an acer 8930G which I have been using for many years great laptop with a 18.1 inch screen, blueray and true 5.1 surround (yes it physically have 5 speakers and a sub) though it doesnt work very well unless you are 1inch tall and stood on the keyboard :D

Back