Acer to launch 3D notebook in October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Acer is reportedly planning to launch a new notebook equipped with a 3D display by the end of October this year. According to a recent DigiTimes report, the system is being co-developed with Taiwanese ODM Wistron, and will apparently come with software that supports three dimensional videos or can otherwise convert those in 2D – how that will work, exactly, isn't specified.

This 15.6-inch notebook will come with Windows 7 preinstalled and currently requires those awkward-looking stereoscopic glasses to enable the 3D effect. However, Acer says it's working on a glasses-free 3D display. Apparently the company is hoping capitalize on a recent surge in movies and TV shows filmed in 3D, including animated movies such as Monsters vs. Aliens, and action flicks like Journey to the Center of the Earth.

It doesn’t sound like the notebook will take games to the next dimension just yet, though, so in general it seems they are targeting a very limited audience here. Similar products have failed in the past; we’ll just have to wait and see what Acer can offer this time around.

Permalink to story.

Sheesh...not a day goes by without a new product announcement by Acer. That company has had some sort of crazy growth over the last 3-4 years.

Agreed. I'm impressed with Acer's innovative growth.

I'm not, however, impressed with age-old 3d technology that requires 3d glasses to view. I WILL be impressed by a glasses-free 3d display. Holograms/holographic images? That'd be pretty sweet.

''Acer says it's working on a glasses-free 3D display'' It can't be far off if their already working on a no glasses display. ''Holograms/holographic images?'' That would be sweet but I think its a long way before Star Wars like tech.

I believe it will use polarized glasses similar to what RealD 3-D theaters use. The effect should be fairly compelling and 3-D gaming should be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back