Acer to use Nvidia's Ion 2 graphics chip in upcoming Pineview systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Anonymous sources from PC makers told DigiTimes that Acer has placed an order for Nvidia's Ion 2 chipsets. Ion 2 is compatible with Intel's upcoming Pineview Atom processors, and Acer will inevitably use the graphics chip in some of its revamped low-powered systems -- such as the AspireRevo nettop or Aspire One netbook.

The next-generation Atom CPUs are expected to arrive on January 11 and will feature a system-on-chip (SOC) design with an integrated single-channel DDR2 memory controller and graphics core. Because of that, the sources suggest Nvidia's Ion 2 chip will act more like a discrete GPU in systems sporting a Pineview processor.

The sources also noted that Nvidia is still on track to release a chipset for VIA's processors. Nvidia has declined to comment, saying it doesn't respond to market hearsay.

Permalink to story.

I see all that Acer has done over the last few years but still cannot get over their old craptasticness and I think that is what is holding alot of people back as well...

Puiu said:
I'm amazed at how much acer has grown in the last few years. From underdog to topdog in such a short time?
They weren't really underdog, I'd say they where more silent. Its just when they started developing netbooks things started to change.

The whole idea of new tech designed for low-powered systems means even if you don't believe it, to be more efficient in power terms, so yes, it might be very smart.

It seems like a good idea to improve the performance netbooks have, they would probably be able to run something more than Internet explorer and word, but I wonder if they would affect battery life

BlackIrish said:
A netbook with two graphic cores - now that's smart for the battery life :p

They are being forced to do this by Intel who isn't providing a processor/chipset without the graphics core. Maybe Asus got a chance to benchmark the graphics core and decided it wasn't powerfull enough, or they may be pushing the GPU accelerated Flash (i know Nvidia and ATI are supporting this, havn't heard about Intel yet though).

wow i hope this makes gaming better on the spire one
though i can play spore fine on it though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back