Acer unveils 32-inch 4K IPS monitor with G-Sync support

Scorpus

Staff member

Acer has announced a new addition to their Predator line of gaming monitors: a 32-inch model with a 3840 x 2160 IPS LCD panel, packing a great range of gamer-friendly features including support for Nvidia's G-Sync variable refresh technology.

To start with, the XB321HK's 4K panel packs a pixel density of 138 ppi, which is impressive for a desktop monitor. Acer also claims this display has 100% sRGB coverage, and 4ms response times despite its use of IPS technology. While G-Sync is included, the panel's refresh rate tops out at 60 Hz like most 4K displays.

There's a pretty typical array of features on the monitor itself, including DisplayPort 1.2, HDMI, and a four-port USB 3.0 hub. The stand is both height and tilt adjustable, and there are two built-in 2W speakers with DTS audio that probably aren't all that amazing.

On the software front, the XB321HK is equipped with customizable display profiles that gamers can easily switch between without having to use the on-screen menu. There are also options to adjust black levels for better in-game visibility, and EyeProtect technology for glare reduction and blue-light filtering.

The XB321HK's feature set means this monitor won't be cheap; Acer is retailing it for $1,299, which puts it in the same price range as their popular Predator X34 ultrawide display. It's available now in North America through your favorite retailers, including Newegg and Amazon.

Permalink to story.

While G-Sync is included, the panel's refresh rate tops out at 60 Hz like most 4K displays
So, this is the first G-sync monitor where G-sync doesn't actually work? :)

I've just jizzed in my pants, multiple times... The price is bit steep but I guess you are getting what you pay for (aesthetics are nice, tech is pretty good +gsync).

Why do manufacturers waste their time putting puny, crappy sounding speakers in monitors? It's not as though any self respecting gamer who buys this product will ever use them. Rather just include a 2.5 mm headphone jack (with a 600 Ohm impedance chip).

While G-Sync is included, the panel's refresh rate tops out at 60 Hz like most 4K displays

Ehm... variable refresh rate kicks in below the top refresh rate, it isn't about 144 Hz. With variable refresh rate (G-Sync or Freesync): 40 FPS, 40 Hz; without: 40 FPS, 60 Hz.

Ehm... variable refresh rate kicks in below the top refresh rate, it isn't about 144 Hz. With variable refresh rate (G-Sync or Freesync): 40 FPS, 40 Hz; without: 40 FPS, 60 Hz.

And from my own experience, that makes quite a difference in perceived smoothness, not to mention that on a 4K display, you may not be able to hit a solid 60 FPS all the time, so G-sync will be there as a backup to keep the frame drop look less noticeable.

32" is a bit too small for a 4K I think... I'm thinking 40" is ideal for a computer display that will be 50-100cm from your face.

Too bad they used a kiddie stand and logo design. I like 40" for 4k personally and it HAS to look sophisticated and understated, not like a cartoon. I like the Phillips offering so far.

Anyone know if it's 10 bit or 16 bit color?

32" is a bit too small for a 4K I think... I'm thinking 40" is ideal for a computer display that will be 50-100cm from your face.

Why? As far as I'm concerned, high pixel density is better because you can sit closer and not notice any image imperfections while you can still move back and see the same clarity at several feet away.

Not worth it IMO. IPS doesn't have a high enough refresh rate to be a gaming monitor. The size is nice, but I was hoping for more ultrawides. Games usually make people look side to side, not up and down. I'd hope more and more monitors adopt the wider resolutions.

Why? As far as I'm concerned, high pixel density is better because you can sit closer and not notice any image imperfections while you can still move back and see the same clarity at several feet away.
My issue is that the pixel density is so high that a lot of people won't be able to see the detail at normal viewing distance. That is why the display needs to be larger. Typical viewing distance is far enough for a lot of people that the extra pixels are pointless. Just seems wasteful. It is even more of a joke having 4K displays on phones. No one is going to use their phone with it two inches or 6 cm from their eyes unless they are using it in a VR headset.

Back