Acer's replacement CEO resigns before taking office, founder returns to lead company

Shawn Knight

Staff member

acer ceo acer ceo

There’s quite the management shakeup currently unfolding at troubled PC maker Acer. Just over two weeks ago, longtime CEO JT Wang decided to resign following record losses. He was scheduled to be replaced by company president Jim Wong on January 1 but now, Wong has also resigned.

In a statement on the matter, Acer said the CEO position is being eliminated completely. We are told that former CEO duties will now fall on the chairman or president which is expected to boost the company’s decision making efficiency. In the interim, founder Stan Shih will temporarily return to take over leadership duties until a permanent replacement is named while Wang and Wong will remain with Acer as advisors.

Acer is just one of many PC makers that are feeling the financial effects of declining PC sales worldwide. They’ve traditionally sold products directly to consumers but like others, the increasing popularity of smartphones and tablets will necessitate a change in their business model. Earlier this month, the company revealed they have formed a special committee tasked with revising their strategy led by Shih.

Analysts speculate that part of that new strategy must involve building premium consumer PCs, expanding into new geographic markets or jumping into the enterprise sector. I’d personally like to see Acer dedicate more efforts to their tablet business or perhaps become more serious about their smartphone division as other PC traditionalists like Lenovo are now doing.

Permalink to story.

Im sorry but acer doesnt advertise or make groundbreaking products. IMO their niche lies in CHEAP but solid products and they arent doing that better than all the other companies, for tablets AND for PCs. mostly just tablets.

What if they are in more trouble than we know and Jim had a look at the papers?? Dell just went private maybe someone will come and buy them. The market is due for consolidation... the PC has matured as devices are the new growth market.

Well, personally I wouldnt mind if Acer just fell off the face of the planet completely. As a computer repair tech, I got a lot of their products in for repair because Acer insists on using cheap parts. I don't even know why the general public would order their stuff when they can just save a little more and buy a more reliable brand that wont break down as often.

Keeps you employed doesn't it? I've been for nearly 15 years, now I'm at Staples, as a general rule of thumb, if you don't want cheap, don't buy cheap, all brands have their low-end units, of course there are some exceptions, but it's always good to do a little research when buying a PC. Now I have one Macbook Air and will buy another in the next year, expensive yes, but much less problems, heck just avoid Windows updates alone is worth it, and if you want WIndows, bootcamp works great.
Well, personally I wouldnt mind if Acer just fell off the face of the planet completely. As a computer repair tech, I got a lot of their products in for repair because Acer insists on using cheap parts. I don't even know why the general public would order their stuff when they can just save a little more and buy a more reliable brand that wont break down as often.

Back