Acrosis question

Status
Not open for further replies.
OS XP sp2
Hi, this is my first posting on this site.
I have made an image backup using Acrosis 11 on an external hd, my question is that if I want to make small changes and not bother using the Acrosis programme can I just erase, add and move files around from the backup files just as I can files in general on my pc? Hope this is clear? Thanks. Gillian

Acronis backup files are placed in a permanent spot on the HardDrive (physical HardDrive that is)
Also you can not move the Acronis data to another folder in Windows without making Acronis backup proceedure corrupt

You should really run Acronis and then remove the backup data from using the program itself (ie not just delete in Windows)

Also, you can make incremental backups using Acronis (which is pretty good)
But if you don't want it anymore just use Add/Remove Programs and remove it

Thank you for your reply kimsland. The backup data is not in Windows but on an external hard drive. There are 7 backup archives as a result of my backing up the whole system. I can explore these archives, so my question is can I, for example, take a photo out of one of these archives and place in into another archive? Or move the files around within the archive? Hope this is clear once again. Thanks.
Gillian

Oh

no you can't

You must use the Acronis program to do that, else you may receive corruption in the restore (if required)

Also I meant using Windows ( not in Windows)

Thanks again kimsland for your reply. I also wrote to Acronis with my question and following is their reply:

"..we would like to tell you that, your backup archive spitted in to seven files because your external hard drive has FAT32 file system and FAT 32 file system do not support files larger than 4gb. If you want to create a single file then you need to convert the output drive into NTFS file system.

Yes, we can copy data from one archive and paste it to another only in one case after mounting both archives in read-write mode using Mount image option of your Acronis True Image Home and assigning them different drive names."

I hope this can be of interest to someone.

Gillian

Yes, we can copy data from one archive and paste it to another only in one case after mounting both archives in read-write mode using Mount image option of your Acronis True Image Home and assigning them different drive names."

Hi gil_dano

And thanks for that information. Never knew that fact myself about moving files between Archives (will have to try it out)

And some info i will pass along regarding the Acronis response...

If your backup disk was formatted with NTFS rather then FAT32 Acronis could build one large backup archive. HOWEVER, I (personally) select the Acronis backup option to split my backup archive into multiple files each no larger than DVD size so i also have the option of easily burning my backup archive onto multiple DVDs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back