Activision is trolling cheaters for research purposes, and it's glorious

Jimmy2x

Staff
TL;DR: Cheating has been a plague for honest Modern Warfare and Warzone players ever since the games were initially released. Activision's Ricochet anti-cheat engine has slowly chipped away at the issue, however its efforts have often been met with criticism, workarounds, and even ridicule from cheat makers themselves. Now it appears Activision is turning the tables on cheaters in the Season 3 update, and hackers aren't happy about it.

Activision announced its Season 3 Ricochet anti-cheat updates this week, and from the looks of it they're turning up the heat on MW and Warzone hackers. The post outlines several new approaches to the Call of Duty developer's anti-cheat approach, all designed to identify and discourage foul play on the virtual battlefield while allowing the team to gather additional information about the exploits being used.

Replay Investigation

Thanks to the new update, Activision and Ricochet team members will be able to capture, store, and review any gameplay data as part of the new investigation process. The replays allow analysts to identify cheating behavior in both Modern Warfare II and Warzone 2.0. According to Ricochet team, the feature has already helped with investigations into suspicious accounts, resulting in permanent bans across all Call of Duty titles.

Damage Shield

Like the name implies, damage shield provides honest players with a protective barrier against attacks from identified cheaters. The cheater's weapons will register hits but do no damage, while the honest player's weapon remains unaffected, allowing them to dispatch the cheater and earn a kill.

Cloaking

Unlike damage shield, cloaking relies on obfuscation rather than damage mitigation. The anti-hack makes the non-cheating player invisible to the cheating player, giving them every advantage they need to stay alive.

Disarm

Another straightforward mitigation, disarm, identifies a nefarious player and removes their weapon, making them unable to fight back against their armed but honest opponent.

The new update has also started addressing another thorn in the side of players looking for an honest game. Third-party tools such as the Cronus Zen and XIM Apex adapter have long given both console and PC players an unfair advantage, allowing them to modify their control inputs and leverage various aim, tracking, and movement exploits to achieve unmatched accuracy and speed.

News of the crackdown arrived via Activision's blog as well as through a well-known CoD-based Twitter account, CharlieIntel. Any identified 3rd party tool user will receive an on-screen warning indicating that further use will result in suspension, bans, etc.

The changes mark several more countermeasures in the war against cheaters and cheat developers. Activision feels confident that the new measures, in combination in-game reporting from affected players, will help to extend permanent bans and ensure a better over all experience for Season 3 players.

Permalink to story.

This is good news, but I would be genuinely interested in the actual sensitivity and specificity of the employed cheat detection. Because if they have maybe a high sensitivity of >90%, but a low specificity of maybe 50%, then you will just get rid of most of the newbie cheaters, leaving the most annoying and succesfull alone, all while screwing over an equivalent amount of honest players.

Or this will have the opposite/null effect and encourage certain people to cheat so that they can see the pseudo-fun interactions that happen as a result.
Or better yet, get people clicks and views on their content channels with great titles like "I cheated. The results were HILARIOUS" and "You'll NEVER believe what happened when I got caught cheating". Insert a thumbnail of the streamers face looking surprised. Done.

I am getting kicked from DMZ when I kill too many players. I don't know if the report player option is abused or what is the deal. I guess when you wipe two three man teams, people get butthurt.

I am getting kicked from DMZ when I kill too many players. I don't know if the report player option is abused or what is the deal. I guess when you wipe two three man teams, people get butthurt.
Mass reporting isn't immediate. Can take days or even longer. Certain streamers may get a player banned but outside of that I've never seen a player banned live.

I've had 8 and 9 kill games. I've only heard of 10 plus kill games getting player kicked but as far as I know that's just a game glitch n doesn't mean anything else.

It's not just COD. Cheaters have been a plague for every MMORPG that I've ever seen. Star Wars Galaxies had them, WoW was rife with them, etc.

I stopped playing MMORPGs years ago and never went back because of cheaters. As great as this is, cheaters will always exist and I don't think that anything will ever get me to play PvP again because of this fact.

It's because most people aren't that good without cheating. If you're honestly that good, maybe you should consider turning pro.

It's not just COD. Cheaters have been a plague for every MMORPG that I've ever seen. Star Wars Galaxies had them, WoW was rife with them, etc.

I stopped playing MMORPGs years ago and never went back because of cheaters. As great as this is, cheaters will always exist and I don't think that anything will ever get me to play PvP again because of this fact.
Cheating has been around for a long time. Offline/single player cheats existed way before online. Once online became a thing, cheating came right alongside with it.

CoDs issue is that they tried something new instead of paying for something tried n tested. It has mainly failed cause the tech is so new. In time it may be great but players suffer why that happens. Also it takes years for software to be really good.

If AI anti cheat ever becomes a thing, cheating will finally take a backseat. Cheating will finally be controlled, likely never stopped but much better controlled than it ever has been.

Mass reporting isn't immediate. Can take days or even longer. Certain streamers may get a player banned but outside of that I've never seen a player banned live.

I've had 8 and 9 kill games. I've only heard of 10 plus kill games getting player kicked but as far as I know that's just a game glitch n doesn't mean anything else.
It's 100% immediate. It has happened to myself and a buddy of mine that gets similar kills in DMZ. There is definitely some sort of trigger (pun not intended) after wiping too many players. It's not coincidental and it doesn't happen often, but it does indeed happen.

It's because most people aren't that good without cheating. If you're honestly that good, maybe you should consider turning pro.
Most people are just absolutely terrible players. Plenty of people are good without cheating. My FPS friends group is small and they also routinely do as well as I do.

Most people are just absolutely terrible players.
Well, if you're really good, that is how others would appear so yeah, I get that.
Plenty of people are good without cheating.
The problem is that you never really know, eh?
My FPS friends group is small and they also routinely do as well as I do.
I believe you. Exchanging information among experts makes you all better so that friends group would be golden for you. (y) (Y)

It's 100% immediate. It has happened to myself and a buddy of mine that gets similar kills in DMZ. There is definitely some sort of trigger (pun not intended) after wiping too many players. It's not coincidental and it doesn't happen often, but it does indeed happen.
It's not immediate unless you have someone on the inside looking at the time. Which as I said usually only happens for streamers. All the reporting I've done over 3 years no cheater has ever been banned live or while playing in the same server.
So, yes it's possible just isn't likely, more so for the avg player.

Mass reporting was not and is not meant for a immediate ban response. It simply flags the account for review. Once in the review process account is shadow banned until further notice. Could be a few hrs or days. Typically last 2 weeks. However, if you know the right people it won't last more than a few hours.

Back