Activision reportedly committed to three more Call of Duty games for PlayStation

jsilva

Why it matters: After the acquisition of Activision Blizzard by Microsoft, many questioned the future of the CoD franchise on the PlayStation platform, fearing that Microsoft would make it an exclusive. However, a new report claims there's no reason to worry about that, as Sony consoles will receive at least three more entries in the franchise.

The Call of Duty series debuted almost 20 years ago on PC, Xbox and PlayStation platforms. These three became the pillars on which CoD has laid its foundation. With Microsoft's acquisition of Activision Blizzard, the series may lose one of them, but it won't be as soon as you might think.

Before Microsoft announced the acquisition, the publisher had already signed a deal ensuring Sony consoles would receive at least three more CoD games. These would include a new entry developed by Infinity Ward (presumably Modern Warfare's 2019 sequel) and another one from Treyarch, the developer responsible for the CoD: Black Ops titles. In addition, Warzone 2 would also be released for the PlayStation platform.

The three-game CoD deal with Sony could well be the same that the company mentioned when responding to the acquisition of Activision Blizzard, which ensures that the new Call of Duty games are multiplatform. Phil Spencer, CEO of Microsoft Gaming, also confirmed it would honor all agreements after acquiring the publisher, including those made with Sony.

Considering PlayStation gamers will have two more CoD main titles, players should be covered until late 2023, assuming the yearly CoD release continues. Warzone 2 should launch somewhere between the two main series entries, probably soon after the supposed Modern Warfare's sequel.

Once the three CoD games are out, Sony will probably have to renegotiate, or Spencer can just make the FPS series a PC and Xbox exclusive, which would likely cause more harm than good. In any case, Microsoft will undoubtedly take advantage of owning the IP. Like they did with Bethesda, the tech giant will probably ensure that future CoD entries are timed exclusives or have more content for Microsoft platforms.

Ensuring the launch of new CoD titles on the PlayStation platform would surely help Sony recover the $20 billion they lost in stock value after the Redmond-based company announced it would buy Activision Blizzard.

Permalink to story.

Boring...

They really need to change the Call of Duty EVERYTHING at this point. It's just more boring retreads.

Boring...

They really need to change the Call of Duty EVERYTHING at this point. It's just more boring retreads.

Except Warzone. It's awesome. The market needs more BR games. Battlefield 2042 should have had a a BR at the center of it. No one cares about mp fps anymore.

I don't think this matters as much: Deal probably doesn't mentions things like MS getting a timed exclusive or an intentionally extended "beta testing" exclusive to Xbox and PC and then for any additional content in the form of DLC or microtransactions which are probably not explicitly in the contract or not with a simultaneous launch terms, list goes on.

Even just Microsoft basically giving it away for free with the xbox game pass and then barring Playstation from doing anything other than full price will probably work in MS favor. Honestly PS5 owners and Playstation fans in general need to temper their expectations if they're really into CoD they should consider switching in the near future, as in before a new gen of consoles comes out.

Except Warzone. It's awesome. The market needs more BR games. Battlefield 2042 should have had a a BR at the center of it. No one cares about mp fps anymore.
I can't tell if you're being serious, sarcastic or just one of the best trolls I've ever seen.

Ensuring the launch of new CoD titles on the PlayStation platform would surely help Sony recover the $20 billion they lost in stock value after the Redmond-based company announced it would buy Activision Blizzard.
Again with this BS?

Both Sony and MS are down in stock value in the last month by -11.25% and -13.80% respectively and they both have a 5 year growth of + 257% and +353%.

So what exactly did they lose? They can gain that back in a few months... It's stock market, it's supposed to fluctuate.

In business I don't think any of this matters. As MS have the right to change any deal since they own the company now. Activision can say what it wants but MS now have the final say. Would they do anything, not likely but they have the legal right to.

BR era has peaked a long time ago.
BR is far from peaked. If that was the case Pubg numbers wouldn't have climbed. Free to play for BR is the key.
Fortnite, Pubg and Warzone aren't going anywhere any time soon. Then you have Escape from Tarkov, Valorant, Super People. There is even more room to grow for these games, possible sequels and for other games to come into the BR genre.
The only people who complain about BR are those who don't like it, never played one or aren't good at them.

BR is far from peaked. If that was the case Pubg numbers wouldn't have climbed. Free to play for BR is the key.
Fortnite, Pubg and Warzone aren't going anywhere any time soon. Then you have Escape from Tarkov, Valorant, Super People. There is even more room to grow for these games, possible sequels and for other games to come into the BR genre.
The only people who complain about BR are those who don't like it, never played one or aren't good at them.
This guy gets it. Once you're BR obsessed there really isn't anything like it

I can't tell if you're being serious, sarcastic or just one of the best trolls I've ever seen.
Dead serious. Look at the player drop off for the following new MP fps games: Halo, already declining. Bf2042, already dead. Vanguard, already dead. Meanwhile, Apex is having huge success, Warzone is still popular, Fortnite is still popular.

Dead serious. Look at the player drop off for the following new MP fps games: Halo, already declining. Bf2042, already dead. Vanguard, already dead. Meanwhile, Apex is having huge success, Warzone is still popular, Fortnite is still popular.
I was never able to get into battle royal games but maybe I'm just getting old

I was never able to get into battle royal games but maybe I'm just getting old
I'm 40 years old and still getting better. My Warzone KD is up to 3.5 this season which is wild. I play a LOT though. No kids.

Back