Added ram not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terribly common problem I know. Sys specs = Presario SR2050NX with an ECS RC410-M mobo. 2GB RAM max(2x1). I added a 1gb stick of Corsair (VS1GB533D2). Its the correct ram. I have switched the slots, tried the sticks individually, set the BOOT.ini for no MAXMEM parameters, even reset bios and my graphics card has its own 512mb of memory. Added ram is not being read in os or bios. Everest does read it in the "overclock" tab, but nothing else... I am stuck.

i know. maybe i was confusing in my original post, but its a 2 sticks of 1gb ram each. i added the second stick recently. comp wont read that both sticks together.

yes, i have tried the new stick individually and it works just fine. here are the sticks:

DIMM1: Corsair VS1GB533D2 1 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (4.0-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

DIMM2: Samsung M3 78T2953CZ3-CD5 1 GB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM (5.0-4-4-11 @ 266 MHz) (4.0-4-4-11 @ 266 MHz) (3.0-3-3-8 @ 200 MHz)

the new stick is the corsair. it is in the first slot(closest to the cpu) maybe i need to set the memory timings? as it seems as there is a match @ 266MHz. my mobo sucks though and i havent been able to find any such options in my bios. i have the latest bios update...

This is probably not it but the Corsair RAM uses 1.8V. Could they be mismatched in the voltage they require? I don't know what voltage the Samsung uses though. Just a thought.

modules have gotten so cheap now its a good ideaa to buy a matching pair to avoid incompatability issues (yes, I thought the days of paired memory were over too). but Ive run into this issue before where the spec are close or identical but the modules do not cooperate with one another when used at the same time....it was an hp.

Whoa! Relax bro!

I'm an *****. I've just personally had two instances where I had to use matching sticks of RAM in order to get system stable.

And I by no means used technical applications to do so. "Trial and Error" is pretty much how I roll. lol

Joining this forum is my first foray into performing computer mods with forethought. Up until now I've just been wingin' it, and very lucky. And it didn't hurt that some smart and very nice people along the way KNEW how to figure out what I was saying/trying to do!

Don't stress, somebody that ACTUALLY knows how to help you will be along with ideas and/or suggestions to remedy the trouble!

TS to the rescue!

Or buy another Corsair and sell the Samsung on craig's?

That's actually what I did last time, except it was Crucial. And I liked the idea of having new-matched-good brand RAM.

oh, its ok man. im not stressin so much. just trying to be funny. i forget tonality just doesnt get through the internet very well :)

actually, buying a second corsair is not a bad idea at all. much less headache and zero potential destruction to my pc! woohoo!

i am very open to other solutions, but atm, that sounds like the smart thing to do.

Yeah, buying EXACTLY what ya need is the smarter way usually.

I now have shoebox full of RAM from all the various pc's I've burned through over the years. Or picked up at flea markets and yard sales, but didn't fit.

Anybody need some 64Mb PC100? I'll pay you $1ea. to take it! lol

Seriously, just before Christmas I put an ad on craig's saying FREE RAM!!

I even gift wrapped it, with a bow and all.

Hell, I even went around delivering some of it on Christmas Eve. It was cool. People were CONFUSED! lol

"Who is this whack-o giving away Christmas RAM?"

Why should somebody that has a 12 year-old pc have to suffer any more with buying a tiny pinch more memory? Seems .... almost cruel.

But when I get a new mobo and need DDR2, the DDR is still worth some dough! Around here anyways. I sold my 512Mb sticks of PC2700 in 20 mins. after posting it. ($10ea.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back