Adding a SATA hard drive to a PC with two existing IDE drives?

Hi all

A friend of mine recently had his computer stop working and he has a lot of photos on his hard drive (SATA) that he wants saved. I took the drive in hopes of plugging it into my computer and then copying his pictures over and burning them to a disc.

My computer has Windows XP SP3, a Gigabyte nForce4 Sli mobo, two IDE hard drives and two external USB hard drives. Before starting I installed the updated mobo drives from the Gigabyte website and then I used a cable from my original mobo box with a four pin connector on one end and the plug for the SATA drive on the other. Then I used to cable labeled as SATA and then plugged it into the color coded connector on the mobo.

I rebooted and Windows recognized new hardware and said it needed to install new software (drivers I assume). It installed software and exited without errors but XP doesnt list the drive. I also dont see it under disk management.

I did go into the BIOS and everything labeled SATA is set as enabled. I am not sure what else I need to be looking at in the BIOS however. My mobo also has a manual that has setup information regarding SATA RAID (RAID 5) Function. I'll be honest and say I dont know what the heck that is and the manual looks difficult for a user like me. A couple of people told me that it should be plug and play with XP so I really wasnt expecting many problems with this.

I would really appreciated any help on this as to what I should be checking.

Thanks

If the drive is physically fine the drive should work fine plugged into the motherboard. Does the motherboard have RAID and standard SATA connectors? It may be that with the drive connected to the RAID connector that you need to do some type of configuration prior to having the drive seen in Windows.

Another option if you still can't get it to work would be to use one of the SATA > USB docking units like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153071

Back