Adding a second wireless router

Please bear with me on this as I might not know all of the proper terms.

I currently share internet service with my neighbor. Their DSL modem goes into a wireless router (which provides wireless access for their house, but the signal does not reach my house). Their router also has a network cable connected to it which feeds my computer directly (100+ feet away). Up until now that cable just went directly into the back of my computer. I now have a second desktop that I need to plug in and would also like to be able to connect to this network wirelessly.

What type of equipment do I need to add and with what settings?

Thanks in advance for your help on this matter.

it looks like this
Code:
isp==his modem/router----cable.2.you---yourNewRouter
You can get any wifi router of your choice; the trick is how it's cabled.

1. connect the new router via cable to your system, but do not connect it to the real router yet
  2. you use your browser to configure the WiFi settings you want
    Set the default router address as your Browser URL; supply the default user/password for your router
  3. DISABLE the DHCP service (you will let your neighbor's router set that for you)
  4. set a unique SSID for you (but not your name or address)
  5. leave encryption off for now and enable the wifi radio
  6. and be sure to set a new admin password
  7. save the configuration
Now disconnect the router from your system.
Take the cable to the Internet connection and plug it into any of the LAN slots - - leave the WAN slot empty.

Enable your WiFi adaptor and connect to your SSID setting above and connect.
Once you've made the connection, you can go back and enable encryption {WPA2 or WPA, but not WEP} - -
do that ONLY from a wired connection to the new router.

Of couse you can also attach three more wired devices to your new router too :)

I have done this with a wired router, and I don't quite understand step 2 above.
For my set up, I would have said, "Assign a fixed IP address outside the DHCP range of router # 1."
You know more about this than I do, so what am I missing?

>> Step 2

?? I'm certain you meant step 3

Using static IP address - - if you know the range of the DHCP in router#1, but then
the whole IP section must be manually entered, Gateway, Subnet mask.

Personally, I opt for the easiest path possible - - allow router#1 to control/config everything attached. This avoids typos & inaccuracies.

No, step 2.
Especially to avoid having duplicate IPs.
Again, I defer to your greater knowledge, but I see the possibility of problems with your method.

Back