Addition of USB driver crashes Win XP

As the Subject says, I am in need of some help in a big way. Thank you in advance for any assistance offered.

This is on an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop, WinXP Service pack 3. Formatted the HD, did a full re-install, fully updated and it's been running like a top, until...

... got a wireless mouse, and it wouldn't function. Checked in the Device Manager and noticed the USB drivers had the big yellow question mark of death.

Though I've never seen it work, I clicked "install driver" just to see what would happen, and gave it permission to search the web. Well, it found a driver! Then it installed it.

From the moment this happened the computer locks up. It locked up during the install of the driver, and now it won't load windows.

I have run all boot options - all Safe Modes, Last Working - and I never get much past entering the password to log in. Even when I select Restore, after several seconds the system locks up. I never get to the Restore interface. Basically I after about 20 seconds every grinds to a halt.

I have tried to run repair from DOS, but it asks for an admin password and there is no admin password. When I put in the user password it says that's wrong, and when I just hit enter I get a C:\windows prompt.

This is one of those rare instances when I know exactly what caused the problem, but I have no idea how to fix this.

So. I am unable to get into the system to remove this USB driver, and if anyone can offer me a solution I would be VERY grateful.

You should search Acers support for the chipset driver for your model laptop and save it to a flash drive. Reformat and install XP fresh. Check the device manager and see if any yellow exclamation points exist, then install the chipset driver you saved before you try to correct any missing drivers

Back