Adidas shows first 'smart' running shoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
From Slashdot news: The New York Times is reporting on a new shoe from Adidas that contains a ~10KHz chip capable of changing the shoe's characteristics to meet the runner's need. From the article: 'Adidas executives say the shoe is no gadget-dependent gimmick... Each second, a sensor in the heel can take up to 20,000 readings and the embedded electronic brain can make 10,000 calculations, directing a tiny electric motor to change the shoe. The goal is to make the shoe adjust to changing conditions and the runner's particular style while in use. The shoes will have push-button controls, light-emitting diodes to display settings and an instruction manual on a CD-ROM that will advise wearers on, among other things, how to change the battery after every 100 hours of use.'

Interesting. Hope those LEDs though aren't on the side. I don't want any part of a shoe that lights up and flashes like you see on toddlers.

Yeah I saw these on T.V today I heard they are going to be like $200 though, I cant afford to spend that kinda jack these days

200$ shoes! Why would anybody bother? If you were going to be in a competition, they would probably be illegal, so runners wouldn't want them....they seem pretty pointless(except as a novelty for some rich person).

i pay $20 for boots that protect my feet just as well as those. why would you want a computer in your shoe for $200?

Would you have to reboot your boots?

Do the shoes with the Microsoft OS make you crash when you run?

Do the shoes with the Linux OS make you walk like a penguin?

Originally posted by SNGX1275
I don't want any part of a shoe that lights up and flashes like you see on toddlers.

Reminds me of company called LA Gear producing those shoes few years ago. The LED gets pretty annoying. Glad I don't see these in the streets anymore.

Yeh LA Gear had some ones that lit up, but that was when they were on their downfall anyway, but now little kids have lights in theirs but they are a different brand of shoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back