You can now reserve a pair of 3D printed shoes from Adidas for $333

midian182

Staff member

Even though the technology has been around for a while, 3D printing is still finding its way into new areas. We’ve already seen it used in industries such as medicine, vehicles, and architecture, and last year, Adidas announced its concept 3D printed running shoes: Futurecraft 3D. Now, the sports firm has revealed it will be selling 3D-printed shoes for the first time.

Adidas unveiled the “3D Runner” shoes back in August when it presented them to a select number of top athletes at the Rio Olympics. They will be available in limited quantities at launch, so getting hold of a pair won’t be easy. Plus, they cost $333, which will doubtlessly put a few people off.

The 3D Runner can be reserved today using the Adidas Confirmed app. You can pick them up on December 15, but only from locations in London, Tokyo, and New York. Big Apple residents can collect theirs from Adidas NYC, the firm’s new flagship store on 5th Avenue.

Adidas says that 3D printing really does bring design advantages to the shoes, and isn’t a feature used solely as a marketing ploy.  

The shoe features an engineered 3D web structure with dense zones in high force areas and less dense zones in the low force areas, allowing for the optimum level of performance. The 3D Runner also features a 3D printed heel counter, which is integrated into the midsole and avoids the typical process of gluing or stitching. Benefits include greater elasticity, compliancy and support.

While the price may be high, expect the exclusivity of the 3D Runners to make them a sought-after item. Don’t be surprised to see more sports firms follow in Adidas’ footsteps and start using the technology in their products.

Permalink to story.

Yes, lets charge a ridiculous amount for something that cost the company even less to produce! (Sure, buying the printers and developing the platform would have been a high initial cost, but not that would require that high of a price for what appear to be $40 to $60 pair of shoes.) I guess they'd probably charge around $150 for something like that on Zappos. lol

Edit: doh, its "exclusivity" makes it so they can price it however they want and people will buy it. ITS A PAIR OF SHOES!

My boss collects the air jordans, and sometimes he sells them for more than they are worth on ebay. I just dont see any other reason for buying shoes like this, unless you are going to make a buck off it yourself. I think it's just the silliest thing. TBH

To me this deFEETs the purpose of the concept of what I would expect. That being, custom fit AND affordable shoes. The only way they could convince me to buy shoes at that price is if they are going to last 20+ years.

Adidas is my sportswear brand of choice, I've worn their products since the 70's and were even my sponsor in the 80's and I still wear their products today, but if they think I'd be prepared to blow $333 for a pair of 3D printed 'experimental' running shoes, they've got another think coming.

To me this deFEETs the purpose of the concept of what I would expect. That being, custom fit AND affordable shoes. The only way they could convince me to buy shoes at that price is if they are going to last 20+ years.

But you know they wont, right? lol Most shoes last me maybe a 2 to 3 years I think. This shoe looks thin, and would probably last a year with its intended use. It might last forever behind a Plexiglas protector though. lmao

Back