Robotics startup develops shoe accessory that increases your walking speed to a run

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
TL;DR: Shift Robotics has developed a set of shoe accessories called "Mookwalkers." It is a 21st-century take on the early 20th-century strap-on skate. Unlike their early or even modern predecessors, Moonwalkers use sensors, AI software, and two 300-watt motors to control braking and acceleration, so all the user has to do is walk. The skates can boost normal walking speed by up to 250 percent.

The way Moonwalkers work is simple. Sensors in each skate measure the user's gait. Built-in AI algorithms calculate the walker's speed and acceleration and fluidly adjust motor speed automatically, so the change doesn't create a shift in balance. All the user has to do to control speed is to walk faster or slower to accelerate or decelerate.

Each Mookwalker has 10 polyurethane wheels. Electric motors on each skate power eight of the wheels for up to six miles on a single charge (about an hour). An unpowered pair is attached to a hinged toe so users can walk naturally — heel-to-toe — allowing the front part to bend on the backstep. The hinge also acts as a toggle switch for safely walking up or down stairs.

When stopped, lifting the heel tells the software to lock the wheels. The user can then move forward without the motors engaging. The a similar gesture reengages the wheels when reaching the top (or bottom) of the stairs. This feature could also be helpful in high congestion situations, although Shift claims slowing your gait should slow the motors enough to be safe when walking near others.

"Our AI has instantaneous response times, so they are super agile, and you can seamlessly move about crowds," the FAQs read.

Moonwalkers do come with certain limitations. They only have a maximum speed of 7 mph, not ideal for running or moving faster, even when going downhill. Despite their "agility," they still need time to slow to a stop — about three feet from top speed — so users need to plan ahead and begin slowing their gait earlier than walking.

Shift was formed by a team of Carnegie Mellon robotics engineers who spun off their research into a private company. The group started a Kickstarter campaign hoping to raise $90,000 for an initial production run. As of publication, the project has raised more than double its goal — $186,875.

The high-tech skates aren't cheap, either. "Early birds" can score a pair with a $999 donation ($799 and $899 packages sold out). Shift is looking to charge about $1,400 in the retail market. Kickstarter supporters can expect their Moonwalkers to ship next March.

Permalink to story.

I'm about to invent a device that can effortlessly ignite flammable material. Still didn't come up with a good name. Maybe flamestarter. Or firelighter. We'll see. I think it will be a huge success.

Because electric scooters and alike weren't enough in creating havoc on pedestrian passages, let everybody else start breaking their heads into each other.

The number of accidents on sidewalks will grow exponentially.

I'm about to invent a device that can effortlessly ignite flammable material. Still didn't come up with a good name. Maybe flamestarter. Or firelighter. We'll see. I think it will be a huge success.

help.png

Last edited:
This is literally awesome and I would love to replace my commute with one of these, but I'm not sure they should be worth $1400 on the market. They should be $500 or less when comparing it to the price, range, speed, and amount of material of an electric bike.

These are definitely $500 cool but I'll pass at $1200+.

There are limited situations where I need to walk quickly for distances not long enough to grab a scooter or motorcycle or lyft or car.

I haven't met the pair of skates yet that didn't leave me flat on me 'R'se. Surprise me Shift Robotics, my poor balance is your worst nightmare.

Ugh they're not meant to work in the rain at an IP54 rating (splash-resistant). I mean no one wants to walk in the rain, but sometimes you have to.

These are honestly super cool. I would jog everywhere if that wasn't considered alarming. I just wanna go FAST man

After reading the article I was imagining very slow skates, but after watching the video I think it's a cool idea. Not cool or useful enough for $1500.

I actually quite like personal mobility items but these look a little too much like toys. I have motorbikes but I'm not wildly keen on all the gear you need to wear just to make a short run. I have cars but most of the time if I want to get somewhere I just end up stuck in traffic and then spend forever searching for parking. Public transport is fine but I'm not good with other people and Covid doesn't help. Walking is OK if you have the time but at the moment I use an electric unicycle for most of my inner city journeys - it's just a wheel containing a powerful motor and a large battery. It sounds a bit silly but it easily does 30mph, has a range of 60 miles and I don't need to park it as it just comes into stores with me. It also costs about 20p to recharge which made me smile when fuel prices reached £8/gallon here in the UK. It also cost about the same as these skates. Only downside is they're illegal in the UK and it's not the safest form of transport out there. Hey ho.

I don't know how to skate but if the computer works as they say, I could give them a try. As a concept, it looks great and very useful to cover longer distances with the same effort.

Because electric scooters and alike weren't enough in creating havoc on pedestrian passages, let everybody else start breaking their heads into each other.

The number of accidents on sidewalks will grow exponentially.

help.png
If you're fearful of this, it's almost 100% that your city/suburb/town has too many car lanes and narrow sidewalks. The problem here is the city planning.

Cute, but just to put on my Mr Cynical hat (and ignoring the price):
* What happens when you trying to go up stairs?
* What happens when you fall over?
* What happens in really busy pedestrian areas, like New York or central London?

I love people inventing things, but inventions have to solve problems.
Humans walk at a "normal" speed of about 3mph. Do we NEED to walk twice as fast?

Leave earlier, plan your route, chill. Rushing all the time is how you get stressed.

Maybe they should call these shoes "Stress builders" :)

Cute, but just to put on my Mr Cynical hat (and ignoring the price):
* What happens when you trying to go up stairs?
* What happens when you fall over?
* What happens in really busy pedestrian areas, like New York or central London?

I love people inventing things, but inventions have to solve problems.
Humans walk at a "normal" speed of about 3mph. Do we NEED to walk twice as fast?

Leave earlier, plan your route, chill. Rushing all the time is how you get stressed.

Maybe they should call these shoes "Stress builders" :)
The computer adapts to you. So, in front of the stairs, the computer will brake the device permitting you to go upstairs comfortably. Check:
and this too:
https://www.indiatimes.com/trending...oes-increase-walking-speed-by-250-583293.html

Last edited:
This is like Jetsons-level tech but there's just one problem. On the Jetsons, the people are mis-represented because with the amount of exercise that they get, they should all be shaped like Cosmo Spacely:
hanna_barbera_pics_50__cosmo_g__spacely_by_raquaelle_dexpd6b-fullview.jpg

Back