Adobe Reader X help

Hi,

I got a new computer about 3 months ago and have never had any problems with my adobe, but all of a sudden everytime I try to open any email attachment or pdf file that was not on the computer prior to about 3 days ago, it comes up with the following message:

Adobe Reader could not open '(file name)' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn't correctly decoded.)

This happens on every single attchment or file that I am trying to download or open. I have tried checking for any updates and installing them but still it comes up wih the same problem, any suggestions? My computer uses Windows 7 professional.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Assuming you have Adobe reader 9, one thing you can try is to open it, go into 'Help', then to 'Repair Adobe Reader installation'.
If that doesn't make any difference, ( but good chance it will), you can choose the next item down in the Help drop-down menu; 'Check for updates'.
You say the pc is only 3 months old, so maybe you had a 3 month trial version of Adobe acrobat reader installed, and it's just run out?

Try uninstalling it through Programs and Features in the Control Panel and reinstalling it from scratch. If that isn't successful, try uninstalling Adobe X and installing Adobe 9 and see if that helps.

thank you for the advice, I had to unistall it completely and reinstall from the beginning but it now works great,.

Thank you for taking the time to help

Back