Adobe releases Flash Player 10.1 for Android 2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Apple iPhone users may have received iOS 4 yesterday, but today Android fans have something to cheer about too as well: Adobe has released the final version of Flash Player 10.1 for Google's mobile operating system. Those with smartphones running Android 2.2 (codenamed "Froyo") will be able to download the ubiquitous plug-in from Google's Android Marketplace, and over the coming months Flash 10.1 will spread to many other mobile operating systems.

In its announcement Adobe specifically mentioned Palm's WebOS, Symbian, MeeGo, Blackberry, LiMo and even Windows Phone -- though it didn't offer a specific release date for those platforms. The company supplied the necessary code to partners hoping that they'll make it available via over-the-air downloads or pre-installed on future smartphones.

Flash 10.1 includes a number of features specially designed for mobile users, including accelerometer support to automatically adjust Flash content to landscape or portrait mode, optimized power consumption to extend battery life, multi-touch compatibility, "smart rendering" so content that's not on the screen won't use up resources, and the ability to pause if the user switches to another application. Adobe also says it has worked with hardware and software makers to optimize for specific platforms.

Permalink to story.

Guest said:
I heard it also support android 2.1.... is that true?

Not from my Android 2.1 device. When I browse Adobe's website with it, it said that I don't meet the requirements. When I click to learn those requirements, it says "Google Nexus One" as the only requirement.

I didnt even know froyo was available yet, other than to the rooters that find it before its officially launched.

It's very unfortunate because I just received my froyo update today and flash is still yet unavailable. When are we gonna get it!!!!

I got my android 2.2 update about a week and 4 days after they started rolling it out to original droid users. I do not have my flash player yet though. It is not in the android market like this article says. So I am still frustrated.

If you have a Sense version of 2.2 the flash app is built in to the OS and not available in the market.
You can install the upgrade by installing the apk which is available on the net.

Got 2.2 on Sat on my Droid, OTA. Friend of mine living here still doesn't have his though. Flash still doesn't appear in the marketplace for me though.

Tempted to just install the 10.1 beta that is floating around. Tired of waiting on Adobe.

Just root your phone. Its better than Verizon's crap. I've had flash player for 2 months. Not to mention all the better apps you can get that are only for rooted phones, like setcpu so you can overclock your phones processor.

Lol...I have a Droid and the update to 2.2, but no Flash Player. Adobe says it will be available LATER this summer...ummm...isn't it the end of August. Looking at online comments and reviews, most say that browsing is severely slowed by Flash Player (duh, isn't that one of the reasons Apple argued against it ?) and that it's pretty buggy. And honestly, the 2.2 update is worthless to me; if only Verizon had the i....oh wishful thinking for apps that weren't so buggy and ran smoothly.

I don't think summer is unfortunately over until September 22. I guess they got another month.
Figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back