Advice on Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to upgrade my computer Ram. I am running a system that is a few years old. My mother board is a Intel Corporation D845EPT2 with pentium 4 CPU 1.80 ghz. I have two slots for memory Max capacity is 3072 mb. Each module max is 1024 mb. I know it will only take ddr memory i wanted to add 512mb to what i already have which is. 512mb DDR (PC 3200) speed 200 mhz. I purchased 512mb ddr (PC2700) 333mhz/266mhz. But the system will not run it. I am asking if you could suggest a reason for this and maybe what i can do to add at least 1gb of ram. Thanks in advance

Its for general use mostly internet and word processing. I play a few games on it and that is the main reason i want to upgrade the ram.

Generally the two modules should be a "kit", identical to each other. Lotsa times a machine with asymmetric configurations will run just fine, but yours doesn't seem to be of that persuasion.

The machine I'm on now has 2 PC3200 256MB and 1 PC3200 512MB plus 1 PC2700, and is humming along just fine. It's even running in dual channel, albeit at the lower PC2700 speed. This is in an Intel 915GAG board, 4 slots max 4GB dual channel DDR

RAM voltage and timing have a profound effect on a machine's ability to "mix and match DIMMs, perhaps more so than speed.
Before you go flying into your case again read our little guide; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html see if it helps explain things better.

At this point I'm thinking that you might need to buy another PC400 512 MB to match the first one exactly or, spring for a 1 Gig DIMM and install it in slot one.

It'd be nice if you could borrow memory to try before you buy more, but if you do that, make sure you follow anti-static precautions explicitly, so you don't fry a friends modules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back