Advice to new computer users

bazz2004

There's an interesting thread started by somebody who had an alleged call from Microsoft and is now unable to log on.

It would be very useful if new computer owners could go to a major section where the dangers are clearly outlined. It's so easy to get scammed even if you have been using a computer for some time. Sending emails for example is pretty basic but there are lots of con artists phishing and scamming away.

It isn't a suggestion that we frighten folks away from using Windows 10 as a lot of posters love to do. Rather it is that the forum gives some guidance about what to do when for example a screen appears saying that Windows has been locked to prevent damage to your computer or that you have been infected with a virus and all your data is about to be erased.

I am starting to formulate a template for this - please feel free to offer general (nothing too detailed or involved) suggestions for this. My current main categories of things to do and not do involve antivirus, emails, clicking on links, and backups. Also, please try to avoid including your personal beliefs vs general good PC practices. All of us have tools we love but that's not what I'm trying to build here. I want to make something that can stand the test of time and as we know most software has a life expectancy.

Back