After reformat internet slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

Well I'm pretty stumped as I have never experienced this problem before.

Usually I receive 4-5MB internet as I am pretty far from my local exchange.
I decided that it would be a great idea to format my Dell XP M1710 laptop today as I've never had to reformat since I got it over 3 years ago. A few sound card issues and Windows services failing to start prompted the reformat.

Reformat from the Windows XP Home CD went smoothly.
System drivers such as LAN chipset etc have been installed and aren't showing any problems in device manager.

The XP installation is currently at SP2, so although the windows updates are trying to run, it will take weeks to get all the updates for SP3 at the speeds I'm experiencing.

I came to connect to the internet which also went just fine but after some speed tests and testing downloads from a reliable server the maximum speed I am able to achieve is between 8-18kb/s!!!!

Obviously I am used to 300-400kb/s.

Nothing has been changed in my router setup other than a reboot and power off for 30 minutes to see if the router had thrown a wobberly. I have tried connecting wirelessly and ethernet connection and receive the same speeds.

The statistics of my router admin panel state that I have a downspeed of just over 4256 kbp/s with an upspeed of: 800 kbp/s.

No errors and a solid connection to the back of my router.

So the problem seems to lay between the router and my PC.

Has anyone any s****tions?

Many thanks in advance!

Well the router at least is getting the old speeds from you ISP. You've probably checked if there are any speed limiting options at your router's admin panel. At first you should of course shut down all firewalls and anti-virus software to see if it's one of them. Might also be interesting to have your firewall log all blocked packets. Also check if there's correct drivers installed for your ethernet cards, this is probably not the case though because you tried both wireless and wired connection. If you can then try to connect with some other computer to narrow it down to computer or router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back