Air compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whiffen

Just wondering is there anything I can get for around 100$ or less that can compress air into cans?

I would like to get some compressed air but they can be 10$ a can so I figure in the long run just getting something able to compress the air will save me some cash in the long run.

Or has anyone found a different way to quickly clean the dust off? I'm used to just going in there with a micro cloth and rubbing alcohol but its just not very speedy :)

Same manufacture, better unit, cheaper price :grinthumb
Mind you, just have a look in your local area shops first ;)

Be very, very careful with compressed air from home-installed containers. There is a reason why the kind you buy has difluoroethane gas or other antistatic compounds.

Pure compressed air, home made, can way too often cause serious static electricity problems. Way to dangerous. We have seen a lot of dead motherboards and graphics cards that were destroyed by user compressed air.
As usual, there will be people on this forum that will protest I am full of prunes, but we have seen it way too often... Especially bad in low humidity climates like Utah, Colorado, Wyoming, New Mexico, Nevada, and California... but we have seen it in Washington, DC, Virginia and Long Island, as well.

Unless you have a way of obtaining the preventatives and installing them safely, it will get you or a customers board sooner or quicker.

In high humidity environments an air compressor can accumulate liquid (water) at the bottom of its tank too, so if you are using a home refilled can like the one I linked be sure to never turn it upside down while spraying.

Thanks everyone, home hardware is very close by and I will check it out tomorrow. I think I'll try to find the pancake one but if I can't find one that small the other one seams fine to me :)

I think the pancake one looks funny (I suppose that doesn't matter, just cosmetic)

Doesnt matter Kim, I just bought it:p My keyboard gets dusty after 6 months and not changing filters, almost impossible to clean out on a g15 unless taking out the keys or having some compressed air.

I found the pancake one. I have to say something about it though XD

The hose is made from an odd, hardish plastic. I thought it would be like a softer plastic that moves fluidly.

Second problem with it is that its loud. VERY LOUD. I plugged it in and turned it on in my room and thought someone just started jack hammering behind me :S

The pump itself is alright, I didn't have enough time to really test it yet because I didn't want to wake up everyone in my house XD

Another thing I noticed is that I thought there would be a switch on the end of the hose so you can easily press and release some air.

Apparently, unless I missed something. As soon as the hose is put into the pump it just constantly sprays out the air :/

Think I'm going to return it tomorrow if, after playing around with it a bit more, I find its to loud and inconvenient :p

Do you own one or know of one you'd recommend?

I'm mostly looking for a quiet operating one with a long and softer tube. I know I can buy tubes separate if I have to ^^

I could spend a little more if its necessary but I don't exactly feel like dishing out 200$ so I can blow some air at some dust :p

At this point I think blowing on it would be more cost efficient and quiet XD

DAMN MY SALIVA >:O

Of course its going to be loud, its an air compressor. The only quiet ones are hand and foot pumps, like for bicycles.

You just need an air nozzel for it, then its trigger press, they should be inexpensive. Get the quick connect/disconnect setup so then you can use all sorts of stuff with it: Tire inflator, air nozzel, impact wrench, grinders, various other air tools.

Wanting to buy air compressor to keep my comps guts clean

i was looking around at air compressors to keep my computers insides nice and dust free. does anybody have a model they use that they find affective and at a reasonable price. what size would i need? any info would be appreciated thank you

As long as you use a decent filter right at the blow gun nozzle, pretty much any air compressor can be used for this purpose. This of course excepts the ridiculous $9.95 emergency tire inflater nonsense. Generally something with a tank, is preferable.
You might consider googling , "Harbor Freight and Salvage". They're a primary importer of Chinese tools of all types. Their prices are so low, for quite decent quality merchandise. This is a mail order business, but they also have quite a few retail outlets, maybe there's one near you. Oh, don't buy anything that's not on sale.

Home page; http://www.harborfreight.com/

Page 1 (of 7) air compressors at harbor freight: http://search.harborfreight.com/cpi...e=1&lastPage=7&isNext=&isPrevious=&category=&

Stolen from my other post. I still think this is the ideal solution, I saw a pic in one of the links while I was looking that had a tiny air compressor base unit for it. That or the hand pump would be awesome.

Or you could get one of these: http://www.instaoffice.com/reair-refillable-spray-duster.rearr6000.0.7.htm

You will need a compressor to fill it, some links had a hand pump with it, and I saw one with a small base unit compressor for it, but finding any available is difficult. I bet there are competitors to this somewhere, I didn't google that hard for it.

I have an electric 5 HP compressor with a 20 gallon tank that I use to run air tools (impact wrenches, air ratchets, air hammers, etc.). On weekends I repair cars and trucks as a hobby. The compressor should have an air pressure regulator so you can adjust the amount of air being applied. Also, the end of the hose should have a 1/4" pipe thread to which you attach an air fitting so you can quickly attach and release accessories like blow guns, tire inflators or air tools. You have to install the appropriate corresponding air fitting to each air tool as well. There are several different styles of air fittings. They all work the same but you need to use the same style for the hose and the accessories so they will be compatible.

My compressor uses oil which has to be changed periodically. Many newer compressors are oiless. The problem with oiless is they are much louder than oil versions. Also, compressors are mainly for outdoor use so inside it will be very loud.

If you are only getting a compressor to blow dust out of your computer from time to time, you might consider buying an air tank instead, like this:
PTW-W10005.jpg
This is just an example. It doesn't have to be this large. The advantage is you fill it up at a service station, take it home and quietly use the air up from time to time. I mean, how often do you need to blow the dust out of the PC?

I mean, how often do you need to blow the dust out of the PC?
Every day
True they are all different computers :D

You would not purchase a $100 compressor for one computer!

Edit

Threads merged, and moved to General Hardware forum

If you are only getting a compressor to blow dust out of your computer from time to time, you might consider buying an air tank instead, like this:
PTW-W10005.jpg
This is just an example. It doesn't have to be this large. The advantage is you fill it up at a service station, take it home and quietly use the air up from time to time. I mean, how often do you need to blow the dust out of the PC?

haha well i got a radeon vid card i even took the fan off and put on a heatsink but unless i have the side of my comp taken off and a house fan blowing to keep it cool the gpu will overheat so im cleaning mine out almost weekly. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Reconditioned-Porter-Cable-C2002R-Oil-Free-Compressor/dp/B00125LFMY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1237423671&sr=1-2[/ame] i think this is what i am gonna get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back