Airbnb host's racist comment results in $5000 fine, forced enrollment on Asian-American...

midian182

Staff member

An Airbnb host who canceled a guest’s booking and made a racist comment has been fined $5000 and forced to attend a course on Asian-American studies. The California Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) came to an agreement with the online hospitality service to dish out the punishment.

Tami Barker, who owns a mountain cabin in Big Bear, California, was set to rent the property to Asian-American law student Dyne Suh last February. But the pair had an argument over Suh's guests in the lead-up to the booking, and despite driving through a snowstorm to reach the cabin, Barker canceled minutes before they arrived for a skiing weekend.

“I wouldn’t rent it to u if u were the last person on earth,” she told Suh, via the Airbnb app. “One word says it all. Asian.”

When told she would be reported to Airbnb for her racist remarks, Barker replied with: "Go ahead. It's why we have Trump," adding: "I will not allow this country to be told what to do by foreigners."

Speaking about the incident, Suh – a US citizen who has lived in the country for over 23 years – said: "No matter how well I treat others, it doesn’t matter. If you’re Asian, you’re less than human. People can treat you like trash.”

Months earlier, the DFEH came to an agreement with Airbnb that allows the agency to examine complaints of discrimination, something that has long plagued the rental platform. This is the first time it has been used to punish a host.

In addition to the fine and the college-level course enrollment, Barker must personally apologize to Suh, participate in a community education panel, volunteer with a civil rights organization, and report rental data to DFEH for four years. She has also been banned from Airbnb for life.

Permalink to story.

No external link? I saw this reported on The Guardian yesterday. I hate to be a citation nazi but Techspot has been playing fast and loose with this for some time now (and that's just since I've been paying attention).

Unless this was done through investigative journalism by Techspot, you are just ripping other news sites off.

Something about this whole thing has really smelled from the beginning. It just reads like typical CNN creative writing. However, even if its all been reported honestly and accurately, the takeaway that should *terrify* every American is the fact that a private business owner is being told who they have to provide service to, being forced to LITERALLY attend a re-education camp, be part of a prison work gang and support a state-endorsed political organization. California is now officially a fascist regime that has more in common with the former USSR or Third Reich than the current USA. If the federal government doesn't step in and overrule this mind-boggling outrage it will be a clear signal that CA is a lost cause and that sane people need to abandon the state as quickly as possible. Literally EVERY punishment the court and Airbnb "negotiated" for Barker is 100% unconstitutional.

Something about this whole thing has really smelled from the beginning. It just reads like typical CNN creative writing. However, even if its all been reported honestly and accurately, the takeaway that should *terrify* every American is the fact that a private business owner is being told who they have to provide service to, being forced to LITERALLY attend a re-education camp, be part of a prison work gang and support a state-endorsed political organization. California is now officially a fascist regime that has more in common with the former USSR or Third Reich than the current USA. If the federal government doesn't step in and overrule this mind-boggling outrage it will be a clear signal that CA is a lost cause and that sane people need to abandon the state as quickly as possible. Literally EVERY punishment the court and Airbnb "negotiated" for Barker is 100% unconstitutional.

So it's okay to hang "Whites Only" signs outside your restaurant now? -_-

I have no idea where you're coming from but I do know it's not what is taught in constitutional or administrative law courses. What happened was discrimination. That the owner was stupid enough to be caught discriminating is what's funnier/more disturbing.

Racial discrimination in housing is still very prevalent. However, the Supreme Court has made it essentially impossible to catch someone unless they say "No Asians allowed" or something similarly *****ic.

"But the pair had an argument over Suh's guests in the lead-up to the booking"

I think this story fails miserably by not following up on this. Not condoning it, but did Suh do something to trigger Baker's outburst? If so, what was it.

Story when a "Trump supporter" says something uncouth: Trump supporter says something uncouth!

Story when an Obama/Hillary supporter says something uncouth: Man/woman says something uncouth!

Don't think this goes unnoticed.

Edit:

In addition to the fine and the college-level course enrollment, Barker must personally apologize to Suh, participate in a community education panel, volunteer with a civil rights organization, and report rental data to DFEH for four years. She has also been banned from Airbnb for life.

Welcome to the land of free speech and property rights.

I think this story fails miserably by not following up on this. Not condoning it, but did Suh do something to trigger Baker's outburst? If so, what was it.

This has already been litigated. The other side had their chance to say why they made the racist remark. They ended up paying $5k as a result.

The article is not misleading. It's just making a factual assertion.

As for DavisLane: The discriminatory racist was the one who brought Trump into it. It's not part of the title or a major part of the story. It doesn't go unnoticed that you wish to downplay racism.

Yeah blame Trump for your problem with Asians Ms. Tami Barker. You can also include the Russians.

But why is the title of the video includes Trump. As if he has direct involvement here. If I change it to "Hillary Supporter Cancels Asian Woman's Airbnb Stay", will this article still be posted here?

"This has already been litigated. The other side had their chance to say why they made the racist remark. They ended up paying $5k as a result.

The article is not misleading. It's just making a factual assertion."

Who said the article was misleading? I said it failed miserably (in not providing the background).

So, since you apparently know so much about this case, please tell us what the argument about Suh's guests was.

I think you should take an American Government course to understand that a business cannot discriminate based on a person's race. There are many major Supreme Court cases based on this that set precedent.

It's highly against the law. It's major basic knowledge that every politician, right or left or anyone aspiring to be a politician would be completely aware of.

Start with this case https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Atlanta_Motel,_Inc._v._United_States

These types of laws developed over hundreds of years.

You should also read about the commerce clause https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerce_Clause

Story when a "Trump supporter" says something uncouth: Trump supporter says something uncouth!

Story when an Obama/Hillary supporter says something uncouth: Man/woman says something uncouth!

Don't think this goes unnoticed.

Edit:

Welcome to the land of free speech and property rights.

It's a good thing Airbnb also has the right to refuse service to discriminating hosts. I wouldn't choose to use a service knowing that such behavior was condoned. Even if racism wasn't the issue here, Airbnb clearly should fine this lady for last second cancellations.

It's a good thing Airbnb also has the right to refuse service to discriminating hosts.

It's good that Airbnb can discriminate against its clients for discriminating against its clients.

That's okay. I understand the level of consistency in these matters is on par with shoddily mixed concrete.

That was also not my point.

As for DavisLane: The discriminatory racist was the one who brought Trump into it. It's not part of the title or a major part of the story. It doesn't go unnoticed that you wish to downplay racism.

I don't downplay racism, Kapital. I don't care about it to begin with.

The number of actual, bonafide racists (in the proper sense of the term) that are still around causing trouble for people is insignificant. The number of businesses and violent mobs who will punish and/or physically harm people for disagreeing with them (modern useage of the term 'racist'), are pervasive.

You keep being outraged over boogeymen and small fries. Leave the big fish to the grownups.

The number of actual, bonafide racists (in the proper sense of the term) that are still around causing trouble for people is insignificant. The number of businesses and violent mobs who will punish and/or physically harm people for disagreeing with them (modern useage of the term 'racist'), are pervasive.
the irony of those who say they are inclusive, fair, etc, but seem to be filled with hate, resort to violence should you disagree with their view

Funny how the most important part of the story is missing, all for the purpose of virtue signalling. You people make me sick.

Only option now is to transfer the property to a relative's name, apply with airbnb, and making sure hillary's face is printed on the new owner's shirt if ever she or he would argue with a renter. And wait for midian182 to collaborate with CNN.

Funny how the most important part of the story is missing, all for the purpose of virtue signalling. You people make me sick.
I don't really see any missing information, instead of adding a cryptic comment why not give the missing information?

If you have known about this whole situation. You'd know that Dyne Suh had booked the place under 1 person. (if I remember correctly it might of been 2). Then 10 minutes before showing up called and said she wanted to increase the number of people to 5 or 6 again I don't remember the exact numbers, while only wanting to pay an additional 10 bucks. Basically trying to hold the owner hostage saying either rent to me at my price or risk not making any money on the weekend by not informing the owner sooner. This of course pissed off the owner and caused them to flipped out. The Asian remake although uncalled for is understandable to a degree especially when you understand the value many Asian cultures place on money over almost anything else except family. Of course this side isn't shown just that some probable white person is racist. I feel for this owner as Dyne Suh is playing this up and frankly was abusing the system to try and get this cheaper.

I don't really see any missing information, instead of adding a cryptic comment why not give the missing information?

I'd be curious to see the missing information as well. Upon futher investiagation, I've noticed a curious discrepancy in most of the media coverage.

An excerpt from the LA Times:

"If you think 4 people and 2 dogs ate getting a room fir $50 a night on big bear mountain during the busiest weekend of the year.... You are insanely high," the host texted her, according to Suh's screenshots of the exchange. The host, identified as "Tami" in the images, also called Suh "a con artist" and canceled the reservation.

Suh said she was shocked, then protested, telling the host that she had screenshots of their earlier messages showing she had agreed to the reservation changes.

I've looked at all of the mainstream reporting. Nobody, not one of them, is showing screenshots of the original deal, and the only thing viewable on Suh's Facebook page is the "cancellation."

Add this to the fact that said victim is a critical race theorist...

This story gets fishier the deeper you dig.

If you have known about this whole situation. You'd know that Dyne Suh had booked the place under 1 person. (if I remember correctly it might of been 2). Then 10 minutes before showing up called and said she wanted to increase the number of people to 5 or 6 again I don't remember the exact numbers, while only wanting to pay an additional 10 bucks. Basically trying to hold the owner hostage saying either rent to me at my price or risk not making any money on the weekend by not informing the owner sooner. This of course pissed off the owner and caused them to flipped out. The Asian remake although uncalled for is understandable to a degree especially when you understand the value many Asian cultures place on money over almost anything else except family. Of course this side isn't shown just that some probable white person is racist. I feel for this owner as Dyne Suh is playing this up and frankly was abusing the system to try and get this cheaper.

The facts that are reported directly contradict your story. You don't even assert that you know what happened (re-read your post -- it sounds like you just telephoned that in).

So it's clear: She rented the house for 2 (with her fiance). This cost $250 a night. This was booked a month in advance. She later asked if it was okay to add an extra two friends and a dog. The owner agreed as long as it was $50 additional a night. This has all been supported by screenshots.

It was not until minutes before meeting the owner that the owner rescinded the contract citing her as Asian being the reason. Once again, affirmed through screenshots.

This was later confirmed mutually through an Airbnb and a California administrative agency (where the owner had due process in both cases). The landlord was found guilty of contractual breach and discriminatory practices.

Where is your evidence to confront any of this? Where are your citations? Please, add them --- and at the very least be specific when you're saying others are wrong (not 'if I remember correctly...").

Another thing: The renter clearly has a personal headshot as her avatar. You mean to tell me, the host did not realize the person depicted in said avatar was Asian until the very last minute, then decided, "no Asians allowed?"

This has all been supported by screenshots.

Link to them.

Back