Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez breaks records with Among Us Twitch stream

Pete Flint

Why it matters: AOC reached the third-highest Twitch streaming viewership record yesterday in an attempt to "get out the vote" ahead of the election in two weeks. The younger generation in the U.S. has notoriously low voter turnout, and Ocasio-Cortez aimed to lower that deficit by reaching out on their home turf.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC), the Representative of New York's 14th congressional district, is infamous for her "social media game." Many politicians lack to know-how or instinct the gather a following on Instagram or Twitter, while she has found much success connecting with America's younger generation.

AOC broke records yesterday in an Among Us stream, gathering 439,000 viewers at its peak - in her Twitch debut, no less. This was the third-highest viewership for an individual gamer, following Drake who has the most concurrent views with 600,000, playing Fortnight.

For those new to the game, Among Us is a game of deduction where players work together to repair a spaceship while one, the imposter, must kill their comrades without being caught.

While some viewers found this to be a simple play for the young vote, the stream received a resoundingly positive response on social media. Politicians reaching out to their constituents through media that relates to people on the ground is nothing new.

For the majority of the stream, Ocasio-Cortez was learning the rules, having fun with other streamers, and freaking out when given the role of "Imposter."

She used the time wisely, though, asking one UK gamer what he thought of the single-payer healthcare system, as well as taking jabs at Mike Pence and the Trump administration.

A trope from the older generation remains that a good politician is one "you can have a beer with." Perhaps what AOC displayed last night is that youth in America want one that will build the Death Star in Minecraft with you, or who can hold their own in Overwatch. It's doubtful that this is the last Twitch stream we see from a politician in the near future, but we'll see if they can bolster crowds like Ocasio-Cortez.

Permalink to story.

Why is a tech site posting such blatantly obvious promotion of political content?
Because ever since Techspotters (on both sides) keep clogging up every thread that's even remotely semi-political (anything about Tesla / regulation / alternative energy / COVID, etc) with personal tribal diatribes, Techspot have realised there's more money in TechSpot become PoliticsSpot. Examples from this month:-

10th Oct:-
- "Twitter puts warning on Trump tweet claiming he's immune to Covid-19" = 43 comments
- "The Best Gaming Monitors" = 23 comments

7th Oct:-
- "Billionaires' combined wealth has reached a record $10.2 trillion, thanks to Covid-19" = 70 comments
- "Steam's Autumn Game Festival arrives with hundreds of new game demos" = 3 comments

6th Oct:-
- "The UK aims to power each home with wind energy by 2030" = 42 comments
- "SK Hynix launches first DDR5 DRAM modules" = 10 comments

"PoliticsSpot. It's what TechSpot readers want"...

Last edited:
Why is a tech site posting such blatantly obvious promotion of political content?

Yeah, it's funny sites think readers are peasants who could be easily persuaded when politicians do something relatable.

In earlier years it was military parades, now it's playing video games.

P.S. TechSpot is even good - Ars had the worst coverage.

Does it feel like political promotion content to you? I read the article and it feels fairly balanced reporting with little in the way of 'angle' and self aware enough to highlight the reasons why it happened. This site has reported many times on notable streams from various celebrities or online personalities.

That just sounds upleasant to watch. Outside of politicians playing video games - I mean jesus can we geet any breat from politics being shoven into our escapism?

Listening to her in public is like listening to a female Trump, half baked ideas with no concept of consequences strung along partial sentences crammed together into semi-coherent speech. A whole stream with that voice "how do you do fellow lower class democrats"? Bleh.

That just sounds upleasant to watch. Outside of politicians playing video games - I mean jesus can we geet any breat from politics being shoven into our escapism?

I guess, you don't have to watch it? I rarely if ever watch Twitch in general, never really got the concept of them or letsplays, even my favourite YouTube channel I find the VOD of the streams really dull.

I clicked on that original post's Twitter profile and got IQ reduced. Common-sense is lost nowadays. Or these accounts must be fake and centrally controlled.

The only website I go to, to read articles that don't have anything about politics and they post about the biggest POS inside our government AOC.... Great job TechSpot. stick to your roots...

I guess it would be more impressive if the number didn't have so many trolls (from either side) propping it up lol

Among Us is definitely her game - she's got plenty of experience stabbing people in the back. Joe Biden is next on the list if they can manage to vote enough graveyards and prisons.

Because ever since Techspotters (on both sides) keep clogging up every thread that's even remotely semi-political (anything about Tesla / regulation / alternative energy / COVID, etc) with personal tribal diatribes, Techspot have realised there's more money in TechSpot become PoliticsSpot. Examples from this month:-

10th Oct:-
- "Twitter puts warning on Trump tweet claiming he's immune to Covid-19" = 43 comments
- "The Best Gaming Monitors" = 23 comments

7th Oct:-
- "Billionaires' combined wealth has reached a record $10.2 trillion, thanks to Covid-19" = 70 comments
- "Steam's Autumn Game Festival arrives with hundreds of new game demos" = 3 comments

6th Oct:-
- "The UK aims to power each home with wind energy by 2030" = 42 comments
- "SK Hynix launches first DDR5 DRAM modules" = 10 comments

"PoliticsSpot. It's what TechSpot readers want"...
KEKW who knew that gaming monitors could be politically controversial and trump is always in the news so why does it matter that TECHspot is covering a story in the world of tech.

She's an *****, she wasn't even a good waitress but *****s in new York voted for her, now their district just like omar's is the butt of jokes, I just wish she'd stay out of Texas she has no business coming here but she keeps making trips.
I wouldn't want to catch the conservative coronavirus by going to states like Texas and Florida.

AOC playing video games full time would be better for America! Next to Maxine Watters, she has the lowest IQ of any democrat.

No deleted comments here :) - sometimes when just killing time I click on Reddit ( I'm not subbed - but it can be good for info ) - I saw this was trending on PCmaster race - or whatever it was called - most comments were deleted and comments turned off . I don't know much about her - but I know she triggers lots of Trumpers - some of the comments are weird criticizing her as just a person working in a bar ( isn't America about getting ahead ) . Other comments are just horrible - like she is too uppity and needs things done to put in her place . Surely which team you are on - she is a success story - you know the whole American dream MAGA and all that .
As for the tech angle angle - well tech is just a tool to achieve things - and it shows to us who do not use Twitch how interactive it can be - ie not just passive watching , asking for donations from your parents credit card .
I know little about it - I don't know if they do celebratory playoffs - if not sure someone here could take the idea and make squillions

Back