Algae may be Microsoft's newest weapon in the fight against its own carbon footprint

Jimmy2x

Staff
Why it matters: Microsoft builds anywhere from 50 to 100 new data centers around the world each year to support cloud-based technologies and services. Each center contributes to an enormous and constantly growing carbon footprint, one that the software giant previously pledged to eliminate by the year 2030. It may sound like a tall order, but the tech titan may have a fighting chance thanks to some new little green friends.

Back in 2020, Microsoft announced its commitment to achieving a "carbon-negative" operating status by 2030. The company updated the world on their carbon elimination efforts in 2021, having funded the elimination of more than a billion tons of carbon dioxide from the environment. Despite the removal, the company found that some of their emissions targets, namely scope 3 emissions, were still on the rise.

Scope 3 emissions, which are emissions a company is indirectly responsible for but not produced directly by, are extremely hard to control. Microsoft has enlisted the help of Running Tide, an ocean health restoration company specializing in carbon cycle conversion, to help offset the impact of these emissions and move closer to their carbon-negative goal.

Running Tide's solution is based on moving carbon from what is know as the fast carbon cycle to the slow carbon cycle. The fast cycle, which keeps carbon circulating between our oceans and atmosphere, is completed in a handful of years, allowing the carbon level circulating in our atmosphere to remain high. The slow cycle can take hundreds to millions of years to complete, keeping the carbon trapped in the cycle and out of our atmosphere for much longer periods.

Running Tide attempts to convert the carbon cycle by deploying specialized carbon buoys comprised of limestone and forest matter hundreds of miles from the shore. These algae-seeded buoys are then left to dissolve, helping to preserve the ocean's alkalinity as the buoy breaks down. The seeded algae begins to grow, removing CO2 from the atmosphere via photosynthesis.

The buoys eventually degrade enough to lose buoyancy and sink to the ocean floor. Once deep enough, the carbon is then held down by the enormous water pressure of the ocean, buried under ocean sediment, or consumed by aquatic life. According to Running Tide, this conversion activity and the immense pressure of the ocean above keeps the carbon trapped and out of atmospheric circulation for hundreds, and sometimes millions, of years.

The proposed solution sounds good in theory, but the technology is young and currently undergoing further testing. In an interview with TechCrunch, Running Tide's Jordan Breighner stated the company has only removed less than 1,000 tons of carbon in test and research deployments, and has a larger goal of removing more than 12,000 tons of carbon on behalf of Microsoft over the next two years.

Permalink to story.

Didn't read beyond the article but it seems like if they are doing this near shore it may work, but I am not totally sold on it being trapped there. It won't work at all once you pass the carbonate compensation depth (4300-5000 meters depending on the ocean), as the carbonates produced by the algae will dissolve and then be moved around by ocean currents.

So, when you say......

"Running Tide's Jordan Breighner stated the company has only removed less than 1,000 tons of carbon in test and research deployments"

Does that mean it has removed less than 1 ounce of carbon, or more than 1 ounce?

and does it take 300 million years to remove the carbon that Microsoft adds in a single day?

The lack of details is astounding!
Yup, it sounds like a Microsoft gimmick for sure

Last edited:
This is the same as saying that we should remove cars from the road, and heaters from home. Very smart and original
Thank You

I knew you'd understand

Surviving our entire existence without the cloud was working fine without polluting the planet

Now, only a few years into the cloud is destroying the entire planet

I knew you'd get it

Smart
Very Smart

Get rid of Bill Gates
Get rid of Microsoft
and get rid of the cloud

We never needed it and never will

Oil production in reverse - suppose the good thing here is sea is full of nutrients.
I know some tests already conducted pouring iron dust into oceans for phytoplankton and algae - iron is necessary for photosynthesis.

planting trees etc on land - there are some good fast growthing options - but the pont iis the cost of nutrients and the sequestering

I've lived next to the sea my entire life. I can remember red tides hitting every year, sometimes two or three times a year for that matter. Every time I read 'carbon footprint' the first thing that comes to mind is the climate cult and yes it's a cult.

Here's your algae in action.

I've lived next to the sea my entire life. I can remember red tides hitting every year, sometimes two or three times a year for that matter. Every time I read 'carbon footprint' the first thing that comes to mind is the climate cult and yes it's a cult.

Here's your algae in action.

PSP: Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning - not much fun ( humans gatherers know better - but some dog owners don't know . Alexandrium catenella is in the sea beds in Alaska in large numbers - mostly inert . But with the Arctic warning red tides, are becoming more common - so yes get used to it as it will get more common , head north and more extensive .

We have mussels , oysters etc in NZ - probably like Alaska the beds , growing conditions are monitored quite a lot .
Things like this are a huge deal going forward - with fishing stocks declining - the huge growth of marine farms - Salmon , shrimp etc - we need to know how to keep them healthy from disease , sea lice etc - not to infect their wild brothers and sisters .

as for a cult - just about no one denies the increasing yearly temp averages anymore - the std of proof - pass the gold std years ago its manmade - ie 5 Std deviations - e 1 to 3.5 million - just saying it's some natural cycle we have yet to bed discovered is kind of sad. When you plot CO2 rise from industrial revolution to now - along with over 1 degree of warming . When CO2 is a known greenhouse gas for over 120 years - that science is not disputed - all I hear is how can a a gas that makes up such a small percentage really affect us - ie if does not feel right is so untrue .
To think all the climate scientists from all countries are secretly in a big scam is flat earth thinking .

Anyway the talking points from polluters are CO2 is great for plants , warm weather is great , we still need oil and coal , there's nothing we can do , what about that country , don't worry humans are smart we can fix it easy ( though we BS for decades - that mere puny humans could not affect the climate - even though we see it all the time on a micro scale eg grasslands vs forests - cities vs countryside - we can change these around - ie plant , or cut trees , build or deconstruct cities )

Simply amazing to see huge floods and droughts in the same country - makes me laugh to here once in hundred year flood - when that stat is now changing fast .
NZ just hit by huge cyclone - Pakistan , Australia . Madagascar hit today by the same cyclone twice and incredible 35 days apart - The Same Cyclone - you don't see that every year - Nor temps in Arctic way above normal.

Oh look see how much sea ice this year - knowing full well it has no thickness - You know this as an Alaskan seeing a pond - you know the difference in temp - can you walk on it- can you drive a tractor over it ?
I'm tired of people being so gullible to fool for surface area of sea ice - from polluters pushing an agenda - in the next sentence raving how wonderful opening up the northwest passage fo shipping and the lack of sea ice is great for oil exploration.

PSP: Paralytic Shellfish Poisoning - not much fun ( humans gatherers know better - but some dog owners don't know . Alexandrium catenella is in the sea beds in Alaska in large numbers - mostly inert . But with the Arctic warning red tides, are becoming more common - so yes get used to it as it will get more common , head north and more extensive .

We have mussels , oysters etc in NZ - probably like Alaska the beds , growing conditions are monitored quite a lot .
Things like this are a huge deal going forward - with fishing stocks declining - the huge growth of marine farms - Salmon , shrimp etc - we need to know how to keep them healthy from disease , sea lice etc - not to infect their wild brothers and sisters .

as for a cult - just about no one denies the increasing yearly temp averages anymore - the std of proof - pass the gold std years ago its manmade - ie 5 Std deviations - e 1 to 3.5 million - just saying it's some natural cycle we have yet to bed discovered is kind of sad. When you plot CO2 rise from industrial revolution to now - along with over 1 degree of warming . When CO2 is a known greenhouse gas for over 120 years - that science is not disputed - all I hear is how can a a gas that makes up such a small percentage really affect us - ie if does not feel right is so untrue .
To think all the climate scientists from all countries are secretly in a big scam is flat earth thinking .

Anyway the talking points from polluters are CO2 is great for plants , warm weather is great , we still need oil and coal , there's nothing we can do , what about that country , don't worry humans are smart we can fix it easy ( though we BS for decades - that mere puny humans could not affect the climate - even though we see it all the time on a micro scale eg grasslands vs forests - cities vs countryside - we can change these around - ie plant , or cut trees , build or deconstruct cities )

Simply amazing to see huge floods and droughts in the same country - makes me laugh to here once in hundred year flood - when that stat is now changing fast .
NZ just hit by huge cyclone - Pakistan , Australia . Madagascar hit today by the same cyclone twice and incredible 35 days apart - The Same Cyclone - you don't see that every year - Nor temps in Arctic way above normal.

Oh look see how much sea ice this year - knowing full well it has no thickness - You know this as an Alaskan seeing a pond - you know the difference in temp - can you walk on it- can you drive a tractor over it ?
I'm tired of people being so gullible to fool for surface area of sea ice - from polluters pushing an agenda - in the next sentence raving how wonderful opening up the northwest passage fo shipping and the lack of sea ice is great for oil exploration.
I'm guessing NZ, Australia, etc .. have never been hit with a cyclone before until now. 🤔 Fact of the matter is the climate has been changing since the first day this planet came into existence and nothing man does is going to change that fact.

120417-dinos-zoom-hmed-543p.jpg

So......where does putting millions of PCs out in the cold with windows 11 system requirements fit into this "carbon neutral" idea?

Is being "carbon neutral" with "algae" going to replace all the plastic and metal used in devices that you no longer support?

Just curious.

There is no carbon footprint problem, there is more than enough evidence that the world needs masses of Carbon for trees to grow for life to exist, without it the world will die.... the problem is the liars who push a narrative to make money from the poor fools

Strategical lies to address the real problem: there are too many useless eaters. There are currently many insidious tactics used against the mass. Insidious, or otherwise the fools may actually suspect something, like recognize the pattern of intentionally being killed. It is not good to lose the TRUST between a fool and his 100 inch TV.

It would save a lot more CO2 if Bill Gates and his friends stop traveling around in their yachts and private jets.

Back