Alien Swarm gets "brutal" difficulty, updated AI Director, more

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

If you've played Alien Swarm you can probably agree that it's a fantastically polished game (especially for free), but it's nonetheless repetitive and can be a bit easy. In fact, Valve says the most requested additions are more variety as well as greater difficulty, and it's tried to answer that feedback with a new update.

The developer has added an "onslaught" mode with a tweaked AI Director that dynamically generates swarms of aliens based on various factors, including the squad's stress level. This sounds a bit like the experience Left 4 Dead provides and it can be enabled on any difficulty so "no mission plays the same way twice."

There's also a new "brutal" difficulty setting, which is apparently no cakewalk, because nobody on the Alien Swarm team has managed to beat a mission on it. If that's still not hard enough, you can toggle "hardcore friendly fire," which increases the damage of friendly fire, forcing players to coordinate their movements.

To reward dedicated players, the game has also received three new IAF Promotion Ranks: Platinum Star, Osmium Star, and Iridium Medallion.

Permalink to story.

It is an awesome game. This new update shall make things much more interesting.

Cheers!

Just starting playing Alien Swarm and it is a wonderful game, particularly considering it's FREE. Well done, Valve.

I got it the day it came out and the next day I went to a Lan with 3 friends, Turns out they all had it too and love it! we LAN'd it till about 3 in the morning.

All I can do is congradulate Valve in some how making such a polished free game.
Not as good as the UT2004 Mods but thats because I like my FPS's :p

I really like Alien Swarm, it's great fun and it's free but 'insane' difficulty is ridiculous it's so hard and adding an even harder difficulty is as they say 'adding insult to injury' =P

If you can speak English(or Cymraeg =/) my steam ID is Mischievous47 if you want to play sometime.

Back