Alienware M11x gets Core i5, i7 and Nvidia Optimus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

As expected, Dell has infused its 11-inch gaming notebook with Intel's latest processors. The new base model starts at $949 – a $150 increase from the six-month-old Core 2 Duo-based machine, which is also still available. The extra cash nets you 1.06GHz Core i5-520UM, and for another $150 ($1,099 for the total system) you can add a 1.2GHz Core i7-640UM. Additionally, to offset the extra muscle, Core i5 and i7-equipped models ship with Nvidia's Optimus automated graphics switching technology.

Standard specifications include an 11.6-inch 1366x768 display, Nvidia GeForce GT 335M discrete graphics with a gig of VRAM, 2GB to 8GB of DDR3 800MHz RAM, 160GB to 500GB of mechanical storage or a 256GB solid-state drive, wired and wireless network connectivity, a 1.3-megapixel webcam, and a 5.1-channel sound system. The M11x ships with a one-year warranty as well as a factory installed copies of Valve's game distribution client, the game Portal, and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Permalink to story.

Lol! my Girlfriends dad just recieved his and bought it 2 weeks ago! so he just missed the newer models! haha! ow well, better luck next time.

I told him gaming laptops are pointless...

So for the $950 base system I will get a computer with 2 GB of RAM and a 160 GB Hard drive? WOW, massive FAIL.

Yeah but it "Looks cool" and is small (doesn't even have a CD drive) so it will sell. At least thats why my GF's dad bought it... ***** (if he's reading =)

Guest, can you direct us to a similarly compact notebook with an i5, discrete graphics on par with the GeForce GT 335M, and Nvidia Optimus technology for less than $950?

Just to let everyone know, I thought I'd have a play with this laptop and I got Battlefield Bad Company 2 to run in (almost) full! at the full res of the screen as well!

Actually for a gaming laptop its not half bad! but the proccessor does let it down a bit but I think thats just because it wasn't the higher version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back