All of a suden Windows is not genuine and gives error code

When I logon to the computer I get a message saying that Windows is not genuine and when I click ok the Windows theme has changed to a black background where at the corner the message
Windows 7​
Build 7601​
This copy of Windows is not genuine.​
is displayed. I found this Microsoft article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2008385) describing what sounds to be my problem but I'm having trouble following the steps. First off, in rsop.exe it says navigate to "Computer Configuration / Policies / Windows Settings /Security Settings / System Services / " but I don't have that. I do have computer configuration / Windows Settings / Security Settings / System Services which appears to be what they're looking for and it has the entry Plug and Play. Now Plug and Play is already set to "Not Defined" and even if it weren't I don't know how to change it. So basically I'm hopping someone could tell me what to do to complete these steps

a. Edit the Group Policy that is identified in Step 1 and change the setting to “Not Defined.” Or, follow the section below to add the required permissions for the Network Service account.
b. Force the Group Policy setting to reapply: gpupdate /force (a restart of the client is sometimes required)​
Thanks in advance.

Believe it or not I had a machine a week ago deactivate over a BIOS update. After a few Blue Screen getting the settings right, Windows was asking for activation again. There was no hardware changes, only hardware settings in the BIOS were changed.

I've had Windows deactivate while swapping secondary HDD's. I've heard stories from people who ended up with Mal-ware that triggered a deactivation of Windows. It wouldn't hurt to run a few scans to be on the safe side. At the end of the day though, if you have not changed hardware and you don't have a copy of Windows that has been blacklisted, Windows should reactivate.

Have you tried to re-activate it. You should have a license key On the computer somewhere. If it is a laptop usually it is located underneath or if you take the batttery out it is sometimes there. On a desktop they are usually on the sides or the top, on rare ocassions right inside the case. So if you right click on computer and go to properties at the bottom you will see Windows activation. Select activate windows but that license number in and try and activate. If that does not work or it does not look like I described please let me know. Thanks!!

Back