All of Twitch has just leaked, including its source code and user payouts

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? A hacker appears to have leaked the entirety of livestreaming service Twitch, from the source code and user payouts to encrypted passwords. It's recommended that all users change their passwords, enable two-factor authentication, and reset their stream key.

A 4Chan user posted the 125GB torrent link on the forum earlier today, saying it was to "foster more disruption and competition in the online video streaming space" because "their community is a disgusting toxic cesspool."

The post also includes a #DoBetterTwitch hashtag, the same one from a recent campaign in which female and minority streamers shared their experiences of being subject to bot-filled "hate raids;" they also demanded that the platform do more to prevent them. It led to a group of streamers calling for a 24-hour Twitch boycott.

The leaked data, which the user says is just part one, is reported to include:

• The entirety of Twitch's source code with comment history "going back to its early beginnings"
  • Creator payout reports dating back to 2019
  • Mobile, desktop and console Twitch clients
  • Several proprietary SDKs and internal AWS services used by Twitch
  • Every other property that Twitch owns, including IGDB and CurseForge
  • An unreleased Steam competitor, codenamed Vapor, from Amazon Game Studios
  • Twitch internal 'red teaming' tools

The leak shows the millions of dollars earned by some of the service's top streamers. Félix Lengyel, better known as xQcOW, made almost $8.5 million between August 2019 and October 2021—and that's just from Twitch; it doesn't include money from sponsors, merchandising, etc.

VGC reports that the torrent is said to include Unity code for a game called Vapeworld, which appears to be chat software based on Amazon's unreleased Steam competitor Vapor, a game store that integrates many of Twitch's features.

Users are currently searching through the trove of data. Twitch has yet to comment on the leak.

Permalink to story.

I'm really not buying that such a mild organizing like #DoBetterTwitch when from a tepid, lukewarm hashtag to an historically big hack: this really sounds like the trolls doing hate raids trying to paint people opposing them on a negative light and going so far with it is not credible.

Anyway I think more streamers should find ways to connect with their audience directly for donations and alternative platforms since these clowns are more worried about screwing them over than actually securing things it seems, I'm sure veteran streamers can confirm they're not surprised in the least about this statement btw.

So this is Amazon - who runs servers, holds 1 billion credit card details - you would think they know how to do security - maybe inside help quien sabe

I'm really not buying that such a mild organizing like #DoBetterTwitch when from a tepid, lukewarm hashtag to an historically big hack: this really sounds like the trolls doing hate raids trying to paint people opposing them on a negative light and going so far with it is not credible.

Anyway I think more streamers should find ways to connect with their audience directly for donations and alternative platforms since these clowns are more worried about screwing them over than actually securing things it seems, I'm sure veteran streamers can confirm they're not surprised in the least about this statement btw.

They can use Twitch's source code to start their own XD

TTT @ number 7. That's pretty cool. I watch his Warzone streams and videos on Youtube more since he got a YT deal.
What Nickmercs made surprised me, but def explains his new Twitch deal.

I deleted my Twitch account a long time ago so I hope I'm safe.

They can use Twitch's source code to start their own XD
I'd love the irony of it here's a secret: having open source even by companies that weren't planning on it or was done against their will, not actually a big deal.

In the case of Amazon and Twitch we've known how to code livestreaming services from open source projects for a while, the Twitch code is not that special. The special thing is that Jeff Bezos incomprehensible fortune ready to basically throw more data centers at any issue. Competitors can't do that in fact, almost nobody can.

I would love to see a Peer2Peer based streaming and VoD delivery network emerge but the chances of one such project taking off and having enough users so that bandwidth constrains wouldn't be an issue are about 0.00% since that project would get sued into oblivion.

Actually, worst: I believe extreme lobbying to have extra swift enforcement and even new laws passed would be done just to stop a project that could easily kill Youtube and Twitch combined since the main problem, centralized large amounts of storage and bandwidth? Yeah: we solved that since torrents and peer-2-peer came into the scene over 20 years ago yet not much has happened on that front cause of endless litigation: if you have people chasing down Piratebay operators all around the globe well that's a good way to keep peer-2-peer from becoming mainstream.

Agreed for both.

In particular: Content creators have hopefully become more adept at directly getting money through their fans.

This is something Youtubers found out long ago. Something Adult Entertainment found out some time ago (and, especially, when OnlyFans planned on killing them off). Instagram is in the long process of "seemlessly" making transactions possible -- thereby killing off much of the profit from content creators who use 3rd party stories (like Etsy).

Even the ways to get direct contributions (like Patreon & OnlyFans) need alternatives.

When a content creator or influencer relies on only one stream of revenue -- they are setting themselves up for failure. It's hard for creators to do so much extra work but it's the only way a simple change in a company's algorithm won't kill their income stream.

When a content creator or influencer relies on only one stream of revenue -- they are setting themselves up for failure. It's hard for creators to do so much extra work but it's the only way a simple change in a company's algorithm won't kill their income stream.
Not to get too off-topic but it's not even just content creators online. This is basically the new paradigm of the infamously called "gig" economy: people like to praise the ability of "working for themselves" so to speak and having no bosses until they realize how much labor goes into maintaining a revenue stream and all fiscal responsibilities which regular employment can easily do because they only need a small team of maybe 3 or 4 HR employees that can handle literally thousands of employees so their overhead is tiny compared to the effort it takes anyone doing a "gig" full time with revenue divesification, self promotion, tax paying, handling retirement funds, handling healthcare, etc.

Twitch and CurseForge merger ruined modded Minecraft for me. Too intrusive and annoying to get into the system. If they cocked that up, I am sure they did the same thing to other online systems. Bigger is not always better.

Another "cloud hack", they will keep coming. This is what happens when you put all your stuff out there. The real "big one" will be when Microsoft gets hacked and the companies that put all their IP "in the cloud" have it stolen.

Another "cloud hack", they will keep coming. This is what happens when you put all your stuff out there. The real "big one" will be when Microsoft gets hacked and the companies that put all their IP "in the cloud" have it stolen.
Cant get hacked if all the employees work for you in some way or another. I dont ever see MS being hacked.

Cant get hacked if all the employees work for you in some way or another. I dont ever see MS being hacked.
Well, I'm not sure where you came up with that logic... just because someone works for you, doesn't mean they might not decide to hack you... as for MS getting hacked - where 's the logic there? Are you implying that everyone in the world works for MS?

Its funny that these huge numbers that streamers make came out at the same time that a lot of the big Twitch streamers are saying it is dying or dead and they leave to go to youtube streaming instead.

Could this be just intentional bait, or last gasp, to get all the youngsters to join and start Twitch again because they see the dollar signs in their eyes from this "leak"?

Well, I'm not sure where you came up with that logic... just because someone works for you, doesn't mean they might not decide to hack you... as for MS getting hacked - where 's the logic there? Are you implying that everyone in the world works for MS?
I'm saying this isn't new. People have said before wait till MS get hacked. It's never happened, probably never will.
Some believe it's because they are behind it. Most big companies have been hacked some way or another but not MS. Call it a conspiracy theory if ya like but it does make one wonder how your competitors get hacked, some even multiple times but you haven't, once. Xbox service went down a few years back but wasn't classed as a direct hack against MS.

I'm saying this isn't new. People have said before wait till MS get hacked. It's never happened, probably never will.
Some believe it's because they are behind it. Most big companies have been hacked some way or another but not MS. Call it a conspiracy theory if ya like but it does make one wonder how your competitors get hacked, some even multiple times but you haven't, once. Xbox service went down a few years back but wasn't classed as a direct hack against MS.
And? I was wondering about the “can’t get hacked if all employees work for you“ line you said... not even sure what you really meant...

And? I was wondering about the “can’t get hacked if all employees work for you“ line you said... not even sure what you really meant...
Meaning the people who are doing the hacking are related to MS. Can't get hacked if you are ones doing it.
Does it mean that the world works for MS no but it means no one would be stupid enough to try n after them.

Just because people or someone doesn't know something doesn't mean it's not happening.

Something weird is happening. There were more streaming services hacked in this century than in all previous centuries combined.

Back