All the Silent Hill announcements: new games, movie, and Silent Hill 2 remake (with PC...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Konami's Silent Hill transmission revealed a slew of new content related to the horror franchise, including a remake of Silent Hill 2 (check out its PC requirements below), a new movie, and three new experiences set in the same universe.

The biggest news from the stream is that Bloober Team, the Polish dev behind The Medium, is remaking horror classic Silent Hill 2, confirming last year's rumors that came after the studio signed a strategic co-operation agreement with Konami.

Silent Hill 2 already has a Steam page. While the release date is down as TBA, the required system specs are in place. As we've seen with other recent titles, this timed PC/PlayStation 5 exclusive comes with some high-end demands for the former system: Minimum requirements, which is low/medium quality in 1080p@30fps, asks for at least a Core i5-8400/Ryzen 3 3300X and a Radeon RX 5700 or GTX 1080.

If you want medium-quality settings at 60fps or high-quality settings at 30fps either in Full HD "or 4k using DLSS or similar technology," you'll need at least an RTX 2080 or AMD Radeon 6800XT along with a Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600X. That's around the same ballpark as Plague Tale Requiem, which asks for an RTX 3070 for 1080p@60fps gameplay.

We also heard that Silent Hill 2 would be the basis for a new movie directed by Christophe Gans, who was behind the first and best entry in the motion picture series.

Silent Hill 2 isn't the only new game on the way that's set in this universe. A project called Silent Hill F is an entirely new story set in 1960s Japan. Check out the pretty graphic teaser below.

Another spinoff game, Silent Hill: Townfall, developed by No Code Studios and publisher Annapurna Interactive, was announced. There's not much to learn from the teaser video, but it certainly looks interesting.

Finally, there's the very different-sounding Silent Hill: Ascension, an immersive project where viewers control the action, which sounds a little bit like Twitch Plays. The official blurb says the game will "immerse participants around the globe in the psychological horror at the heart of Silent Hill in an unparalleled way – by putting an all-new Silent Hill story and characters into the hands of the audience as the narrative unfolds, live on multiple platforms."

Permalink to story.

A 5700xt for minimum requirement and a 6800xt for a medium requirement, this is getting more interesting. Hopefully the quality will come hand in hand with the requirements. I'm waiting for the day when game dev can fully utilize the current GPUs.

Will we ever have a Silent Hill 1 remake? yes, there's a fan project, but it's most certainly will get a C&D eventually...

Silent Hill 2 at 4K? OMFG!

Silent Hill 2 on PS2 was already the most psychologically disturbing game that I've ever seen or heard about.
IGN calls it "The Scariest Game Ever Made":

Den of Geek says:
"Ask gamers what they remember about the first Silent Hill and they’ll likely say “the fog.” Granted, that game’s fog-filled streets can partially be attributed to the PlayStation’s atrocious draw distance, but there’s no denying the effectiveness of making a player feel like they’ll never know what’s around the next corner.

Silent Hill 2 relies a little less on fog but secures its status as arguably the most intimidating horror game ever made by invoking similar feelings of uncertainty. The game’s complex psychological narrative loosens your grip on reality while the visceral terror of creations such as Pyramid Head ensure that you’ll find no comfort in whatever answers you may uncover.

Few games have the ability to scar you quite like Silent Hill 2. It lingers in your mind long after the quick scares of other games have settled into a vague memory."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Back