Alleged RTX 3080 Ti benchmarks put performance almost on par with the RTX 3090

midian182

Staff member
Rumor mill: We’ve been hearing rumors about an RTX 3080 Ti packing 20GB of VRAM for weeks now, but Nvidia still hasn’t dropped any hints that such a card is in the works. However, if a new leak is to be believed, the high-end Ampere product is drawing closer, and its performance will be very similar to that of the RTX 3090.

Alleged details of the RTX 3080 Ti (or it could be called the RTX 3080 20GB or RTX 3080 Super) appeared on Chinese video-sharing service Bilibili and were spotted by Twitter user HXL. It include CPU-Z stills that confirm the 20GB of GDDR6X memory.

According to the screen grabs, the RTX 3080 Ti has the same 320-bit memory bus/760 GB/s total bandwidth as the standard version while mirroring the RTX 3090’s 10,496 Cuda cores, 112 ROPs, and 328 texture units.

Elsewhere, the RTX 3080 Ti boasts a 1395 MHz base and 1695 MHz boost clock, slightly slower than the RTX 3080.

Benchmarking software including Port Royal, 3DMark Time Spy, and Firestrike compared the RTX 3080 Ti and RTX 3090. They were collated in a handy chart by Twitter user Harukaze5719; as you can see, the two cards offer very similar levels of performance.

There were rumors that Nvidia would reveal the RTX 3080 Ti/20GB/Super at its CES keynote earlier this month. Sadly, the RTX 3060 was the only announcement.

With its 20GB of GRDDR6X, the RTX 3080 Ti will stand above AMD’s Radeon RX 6000 series, all of which come with 16GB of GDDR6. It could also offer an attractive option for those after a high-end Nvidia card without paying $1,499+ for the RTX 3090.

The Radeon RX 6900 XT has a $999 MSRP, so the RTX 3080 Ti could arrive at around the same price. Previous rumors claimed it would launch in February, but we'll have to wait and see.

If the RTX 3080 Ti is real, it will almost certainly be another Ampere product to fall under scalpers' crosshairs. Just over 53,000 new Nvidia and AMD cards have been sold on reseller platforms, bringing in $65.45 million.

Permalink to story.

Do the smart thing and buy a 3090 - overclocked if possible. I am loving my FTW3, but if I can get my hands on a Kingpin, I'll upgrade and sell the FTW3.

There's no way the 3080Ti will match or exceed the 3090 when the 3090 has a larger memory Buffer.

3080 is a great card for the mainstream and the 3080Ti will probably be exactly what buyers actually wanted the 3080 to be.

RIP 3090 then. I mean everyone knew this was going to happen. The 3090 was like the Titan. There to scoop up all that money from the enthusiasts who will pay obscene amounts to have the best, even if it’s for just a few months.

I think il wait until the 4080 or whatever the next gen is called to upgrade my 2080. I really wouldn’t want to be buying a a GPU right now.

There's no way the 3080Ti will match or exceed the 3090 when the 3090 has a larger memory Buffer.
The performance difference would be due to clock speeds and SM count, not the amount of local memory - what game is going to notice the difference between 20 and 24 GB?

RIP 3090 then. I mean everyone knew this was going to happen. The 3090 was like the Titan.
Insert "Always has been" meme...

At this point, MSRP prices are pure fiction and I don't understand why they are even mentioned at all.
So the scalpers know how much to fleece you by :)

Ηere in the EU, the 3090 isn't $1499+, it's 2300 Euros+.

At this point, MSRP prices are pure fiction and I don't understand why they are even mentioned at all.

Because here in America, we can walk into Microcenter, or go on Best Buy's website during restocking periods, buy the card and pay MSRP.

RIP 3090 then. I mean everyone knew this was going to happen. The 3090 was like the Titan. There to scoop up all that money from the enthusiasts who will pay obscene amounts to have the best, even if it’s for just a few months.

I think il wait until the 4080 or whatever the next gen is called to upgrade my 2080. I really wouldn’t want to be buying a a GPU right now.
Why would you upgrade from one generation to another anyway? That just doesnt make financial sense. The 2080/1080ti doesnt struggle to run anything today at 1440p ultra and can run most games at 4k as well with some tweaking. Back in the day it wasnt unusual to wait 2-3 generations before upgrading, and nowadays with how long GPUs are lasting it is feasable to go longer.

The performance difference would be due to clock speeds and SM count, not the amount of local memory - what game is going to notice the difference between 20 and 24 GB?

Since you're STAFF, you can get this message to the people who matter in this regard:

I am most interested in the comparison between the 3080, 3080Ti and 3090.

But, I specifically want to see those comparisons in:

#1 Microsoft Flight Simulator
#2 Crysis Remastered.
#3 Cyberpunk 2077
#4 DCS World

All other older games are secondary.

Please forward this to your tester.

Thank You.

Last edited:
Why would you upgrade from one generation to another anyway? That just doesnt make financial sense. The 2080/1080ti doesnt struggle to run anything today at 1440p ultra and can run most games at 4k as well with some tweaking. Back in the day it wasnt unusual to wait 2-3 generations before upgrading, and nowadays with how long GPUs are lasting it is feasable to go longer.
Because my girlfriend and I are both on professional salaries and we don’t have any kids. We share a mortgage comfortably and the companies we work for pay for our mobile phones, home broadband and cars.

You should see the crap my girlfriend buys. You think a top end GPU is a waste of money, have you seen how much shoes and handbags cost!?

Do the smart thing and buy a 3090 - overclocked if possible. I am loving my FTW3, but if I can get my hands on a Kingpin, I'll upgrade and sell the FTW3.

3080 is a great card for the mainstream and the 3080Ti will probably be exactly what buyers actually wanted the 3080 to be.

This is why you don't buy halo products unless you have money to burn.

So now everyone that bought a 3090 is going to feel silly because the 3080ti will offer 95% of the performance for cheaper.

That feeling at the pit of your stomach is called buyers remorse.

Because here in America, we can walk into Microcenter, or go on Best Buy's website during restocking periods, buy the card and pay MSRP.

That is only true if you live next to a microcenter and alot of people in the US don't. And you still have to get their early and deal with a line up. So you are hoping there is still stock by the time you get to the front of the line. Getting these GPU's at MRSP is the exception not the rule these days. There is enough evidence to point to that.

Because my girlfriend and I are both on professional salaries and we don’t have any kids. We share a mortgage comfortably and the companies we work for pay for our mobile phones, home broadband and cars.

You should see the crap my girlfriend buys. You think a top end GPU is a waste of money, have you seen how much shoes and handbags cost!?

lol yup a woman will always win on buying frivolous stuff, the malls and shopping in general focus more on women than men.

We also have these newfangled "stores" you speak of, but I think the poster was referring to the scalper price. The retail channel cards are (mostly) at the MSRP, they are just rarely or if ever in stock.

We also have these newfangled "stores" you speak of, but I think the poster was referring to the scalper price. The retail channel cards are (mostly) at the MSRP, they are just rarely or if ever in stock.

You've got to put in the foot work.

Stalk your microcenter every day until they finally get one. Worked for me - got two 3090FTW3.

Yep - give the scalpers nothing.

Also, the memory you speak of - according to the GPU-Z s-shots, not only is the 3090 4GB BIGGER, but has 936GB/s throughput, compared with the Ti's 760GB/s.

So bigger, faster, and the potential for NV-Link / SLi in the future, if that's your thing.

I don't regret my purchase - I expected that, and knew it was out in late Feb, but if I couldn't' get a 3080 now, I don't see how I could get a Ti then, I reasoned to myself.

FleaBay will be full of used 3080s the moment this drops, and I imagine snapped up in microseconds too.

Yep - give the scalpers nothing.

Also, the memory you speak of - according to the GPU-Z s-shots, not only is the 3090 4GB BIGGER, but has 936GB/s throughput, compared with the Ti's 760GB/s.

So bigger, faster, and the potential for NV-Link / SLi in the future, if that's your thing.

I don't regret my purchase - I expected that, and knew it was out in late Feb, but if I couldn't' get a 3080 now, I don't see how I could get a Ti then, I reasoned to myself.

FleaBay will be full of used 3080s the moment this drops, and I imagine snapped up in microseconds too.

If you can use a credit card to buy a 3080Ti, and actually manage to get one, chances are the 3080 resale online will be high enough to justify upgrading to the Ti.

I managed to sell my 3080 for over $1000 and my 2080Ti prior for around $850 (adjusting for seller fees).

If 3080Ti exceeds $1400, people would gladly spend $1000 for a 3080. ANYTHING to play their games.

You've got to put in the foot work.

Stalk your microcenter every day until they finally get one. Worked for me - got two 3090FTW3.

Some people have better things to do with their time. During a pandemic you sure as hell aren't going to catch me outside in a huge line of people for an over priced video card :)

Some people have better things to do with their time. During a pandemic you sure as hell aren't going to catch me outside in a huge line of people for an over priced video card :)

Masks and some social distancing are all you need.

Chances are, the workers will trade phone numbers with you to simply text you when they get what you want in, before it goes into the stock scan, and you can swoop in to get it.

Masks and some social distancing are all you need.

Chances are, the workers will trade phone numbers with you to simply text you when they get what you want in, before it goes into the stock scan, and you can swoop in to get it.

Trade phone numbers with you to skip ahead in line? And what worker is going to do this without you give them something in return like cash? Unless that is actually a friend working in the store.

Most of the stores I know would not go lightly on employee's for doing this and if someone in the lines notices this is going on and complains will it be worth their job?

Last edited:
Ηere in the EU, the 3090 isn't $1499+, it's 2300 Euros+.

I decided to check prices now. They doubled. In my country rx 580 now costs 450 euros instead of 220. I'm out of words...

I decided to check prices now. They doubled. In my country rx 580 now costs 450 euros instead of 220. I'm out of words...

Yup the prices on the 5700XT also went up. So I'm sitting on my rx 580 until this crap settles so 6800XT probably in the summer for me.

I call BS until we see an actual real card.

"GamersNexus reported NVIDIA partners' comments on the indefinite postponement of the RTX 3080 Ti and possible SUPER derivatives of the RTX 30-series lineup. It's being said that NVIDIA decided (smartly, I would say) to ensure consistent supply of their existing lineup to sate demand, instead of dispersing its limited chip production across even more product lines.

This would result, I have no doubt, on NVIDIA only having even more SKUs out of stock than they currently do. Considering the market's current state of mind in regards to NVIDIA's lineup, this seems like the most sensible decision possible. TechPowerUp has in the meantime confirmed this information with NVIDIA partners themselves."
Link

I disagree I upgrade every generation as soon as I can and try to sell my old card either as soon as new cards announced or right before.

In doing so I've had the absolute best in gaming pc performance at all time since the 780 to the 3080 and every card in between (80's / 80ti's) and my out oc pocket costs has only averaged out to about $200 a year.

Looking at a friend who went 980 ti to 3080 he ended using spending $550 out of pocket after selling off his old card and yet I went from his card and every card in between to the 3080 and only spent about $425 total out of pocket.

The "value" people think they gain is really just and exchange in performance for possible dollars saved but in almost every comparison I've had with friends my costs have been relatively the same or even better (like now) and yet I never had to sacrifice on performance.

Max settings high res high fps at all times and yet Im actually out less money than if I had suffered through for years with a weaker card.

Yea no thanks I'll continue basically upgrading my pc for next to nothing.

Back