Alternative to Adobe Reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DelJo63

Now with Foxit Reader, you don't have to endure pain any more.
The following is a list of compelling advantages of Foxit Reader:
  • Incredibly small: The download size of Foxit Reader is just a fraction of Acrobat Reader 20 M size.
  • Breezing-fast: When you run Foxit Reader, it launches instantly without any delay. You are not forced to view an annoying splash window displaying company logo, author names, etc.
  • Annotation tool: Have you ever wished to annotate (or comment on) a PDF document when you are reading it? Foxit Reader allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document.
  • Text converter: You may convert the whole PDF document into a simple text file.
  • High security and privacy: Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to the Internet without users' permission. While other PDF readers often silently connect to the Internet in the background. Foxit PDF Reader does not contain any spyware.
WOW! That's impressive (to me) -- hope you find this useful too.

Foxit vendor website
(and NO, I'm not affiliated in any manner what-so-ever)

[moderator:] imo, this belongs in Reviews, but that forum is lockup from public posting. [/moderator]

I totally agree! Highly recommend!

Been using it for years!

Make sure you get rid of the Ram, Cpu and disk space hog. Uninstall Acrobat!

Right on JO!

Mike

I have been using Foxit Reader for quite some time now, and uninstalled Adobe/Acrobat Reader. It has certainly been a good decision.

The reason I make this post is for mentioning two additional advantages of Foxit: security and ease of maintenance. Every so often, a new security hole would be discovered in Acrobat Reader and I had to go through the process of updating to the new patched version. This is much less of a problem with Foxit Reader. You can practically leave it alone. Plus, it is less of a target to hackers, because it is less widely used, though this may be changing.

The above case tells a universal story. An app keeps getting bigger and heavier, cluttered with gimmicks, and consequently more vulnerable and cumbersome to learn and use. There comes a point when enough is enough and a new much lighter app appears, gradually replacing it, till the new app starts following the same destiny. I just hope this doesn’t happen with Foxit Reader.

FoxReader was okay but they started stick crap inside the code I don't use the most current version. But if you want some free opensource ones you can go here:

http://pdfreaders.org/
pdfreaders.org.png

Sumatra PDF (freeware)
A PDF Viewer for Windows

There are tons of open source PDF readers out there like XPDF. However, I have not come across a better reader than Adobe's own reader. And besides - it's free too.

try sourceforge.net for alternatives.

PDFXchange Viewer is another good free pdf reader.

And Sumatra Pdf Reader too.. if you want a lightweight pdf reader.

XPDF is for unix based systems i think, not for windows.

you're correct. Give Sumatra a try. XPDF is for unix, but there are windows components that can be compiled under C++

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back