Amazon bans TikTok citing "security risks," then says it was all a mistake

David Matthews

Staff member
What just happened? Today Amazon sent employees an email banning TikTok on devices connected to Amazon's email. This would have been just the latest on a number of setbacks for TikTok developer, ByteDance. However, a few hours later Amazon took back that stance, saying the email was sent by mistake. TikTok's Chinese ownership and privacy issues have garnered it much scrutiny from governments and companies around the world.

Amazon apparently had planned to request its employees to delete TikTok from their phones according to a company-wide email obtained by The New York Times. The company cited "security risks" as the primary reason. The email specifically requested that employees delete TikTok from any device that can "access Amazon email." Presumably, this includes both employer-provided phones and personal phones that have access to the employee's business email.

Later on, on the same day, Amazon issued a statement saying “this morning’s email to some of our employees was sent in error, there is no change to our policies right now with regard to TikTok.”

Amazon's retracted policy applied to employees' phones with a narrow window to remove the app in order to retain access to their Amazon email. Accessing TikTok from their laptops' browser was still allowed, however.

A TikTok spokesman responded to Amazon's decision stating, "While Amazon did not communicate to us before sending their email, and we still do not understand their concerns, we welcome a dialogue so we can address any issues they may have and enable their team to continue participating in our community."

This would have been yet another blow to the popular bite-sized video creation app which has continued to face scrutiny over its Chinese ownership. Increased tensions between the United States and China has led many to view TikTok as a danger to national security.

Earlier this week, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said that that U.S. is considering a ban on TikTok outright. The app has already been banned by both the Navy and TSA and is undergoing a national security review by the U.S. Committee on Foreign Investment (CFIUS).

ByteDance has continuously maintained its stance that it's not subject to the whims of the Chinese government, citing its decision to withdraw the app from Hong Kong and keeping U.S. based data inside of the United States. Regardless, the company is having a difficult time proving to the rest of the world of its innocence.

Permalink to story.

We all know the rumor that tik users made ppl not show up to trump rallies by buying out seats... And we all knows that is not true, no one was outside for his out of stadium rallies either. But his butt is hurt so, this is how he has chosen to react. Trump supporters are smarter then Trump, most of them won't gather during a pandemic.

We all know the rumor that tik users made ppl not show up to trump rallies by buying out seats... And we all knows that is not true, no one was outside for his out of stadium rallies either. But his butt is hurt so, this is how he has chosen to react. Trump supporters are smarter then Trump, most of them won't gather during a pandemic.

Mate nobody has heard that made up BS. It's just more anti trump nonsense propaganda designed to undermine the ongoing security concerns revolving around the dodgy TIk Tok app.

We should also ban Zoom. Zoom closed down accounts about the 1989 Tiananmen massacre while the accounts was having a video meeting about it. If I remember right it was on June 4th. They just shut it down. The data goes through China and more than likely the company has some kind of Chinese communist officer as required by CCP.

Every Internet-connected company in China is required by Chinese law to provide full, real-time access to ALL their data if the government demands it. There are no exceptions.

Every Internet-connected company in China is required by Chinese law to provide full, real-time access to ALL their data if the government demands it. There are no exceptions.
I've been saying since they came out but still ZOOM usage by Governments interdepartmental secret meetings is still being used, what the fart don't these countries check them arggggg don't they think the Chinese dare not listen to their meeting whether on ZOOM or TIKTOK both have the ability to listen or view from the device it's on even when it's off ...and still there are *****s that still use them, just wish they would make any A/V software detect them as deleting them might not get rid of them all ..

More evidence that most people don’t have a clue what their electronics are doing. Even those who sell devices are at a loss.

Is tik tok a security risk? I have no idea. But I’m not really interested myself so I don’t have it.

Conspiracists might point out that this is all conveniently happening right before google releases YouTube shorts. If your data is being harvested it needs to be done by a US company and not the Chinese government! Although I’d rather be harvested by the a US company if I have the choice..

It's not shady at all that it was retracted within an hour.. not sure who is strong arming who.. amazon or the ccp

Whatever you’re smoking, I’ll take two.

I understand very little of whatever your post was trying to say.

And you know this for a fact??

Doesn't the US / FBI / NSA have this access on US users phones? Go ahead, say no!!

China banned all Western social media platforms so why have so many *****s in Western countries embraced this obvious Chinese malware/data miner?

I think it's because AMERICA "land of the free" is supposed to be embracing "the free market" and allowing people who enjoy Tik Tok to do what they want rather than being like the Chinese.

Of course, America wants us to put our info into Facebook, Google and American controlled data mining operations so they can spy on us without having to compete with China.

I've been saying since they came out but still ZOOM usage by Governments interdepartmental secret meetings is still being used, what the fart don't these countries check them arggggg don't they think the Chinese dare not listen to their meeting whether on ZOOM or TIKTOK both have the ability to listen or view from the device it's on even when it's off ...and still there are *****s that still use them, just wish they would make any A/V software detect them as deleting them might not get rid of them all ..
If they are, it is in direct conflict with currently accepted policies.

This is either BS, or you know people who are ignoring the current security regulations.

As a non-american and non-chinese person, do I get to choose which of these two data harvesting governments gets to have my data off my iPhone? The utter hypocrisy of the US complaining about this. When they are just as bad if not worse. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

As a non-american and non-chinese person, do I get to choose which of these two data harvesting governments gets to have my data off my iPhone? The utter hypocrisy of the US complaining about this. When they are just as bad if not worse. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.
False equivalency. Both spy, only one harvests your organs.

Back