Amazon confirms it is letting go of a record 18,000 employees

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Amazon is joining the growing number of companies laying off staff as the global economy continues to impact businesses. The tech giant is initiating the largest round of job cuts in its history by letting go of 18,000 workers, some of whom won't discover that they've been fired for another two weeks.

Back in November, the New York Times reported that Amazon planned to lay off approximately 10,000 people in corporate and technology jobs. The cuts began straight away, with many of them concentrated on Amazon's devices organization, retail division, and human resources.

Thousands of employees have already lost their jobs, and many more layoffs are coming—a higher number than expected. Amazon CEO Andy Jassy wrote that this year's review of Amazon's annual planning process has been more difficult given the uncertain economy and the company's rapid hiring to keep up with demand during the pandemic. As such, the number of roles being eliminated is rising to 18,000. Jassy added that several teams are impacted, though the majority of eliminations will come from Amazon Stores and PXT organizations.

The cuts make up around 5% of Amazon's corporate workforce and 1.2% of its overall 1.5 million employees. They represent the biggest round of layoffs in the history of the company and the highest number of layoffs among tech firms cutting staff in recent months.

Amazon saw its fortunes boom during the height of the pandemic before many consumers returned to traditional shopping and reined in their spending as inflation and the cost of living skyrocketed.

Jassy said that as the decision to lay off even more staff was leaked before time—The Wall Street Journal revealed the revised figure before the CEO's post—he shared the news early, rather than speaking to those directly affected first. It means many staff being let go won't discover their fate until January 18. That could mean a long and stressful two weeks for those who fear their jobs are at risk.

Last year was a difficult one for tech firm employees. Twitter, HP, Meta, Lyft, Microsoft, Snap, Robinhood, and many more announced they were reducing their workforces.

Permalink to story.

"Last year was a difficult one for tech firm employees. Twitter, HP, Meta, Lyft, Microsoft, Snap, Robinhood, and many more announced they were reducing their workforces."

I would say most Americans feel like this.
Stay strong folks.

But the super woke Jeff Bezos cares about people!!!!
jeff-bezos-laugh.gif

But the super woke Jeff Bezos cares about people!!!!
jeff-bezos-laugh.gif

What's crazy is that I noticed quickly it's been slow since late November we always had an Amazon van go past our street even when driving around town and to work you would see one almost every 10mins or so. Last month or two I only saw a total of 5 -10 delivery drivers! We all know why but I don't wanna get banned again.

Very soon Amazon will have fully automated warehouses that operate with minimal supervision. Like a giant vending machine. Then deliveries to and from will be automatic with drones and vehicles. Buying directly from a supplier will not be allowed if they sell on Amazon. And to become a supplier, you will need supplies, probably from Amazon. It's gonna be great.

It is inevitable that eventually automation will nullify the need for low level human labor. When the working class are no longer of any utility to the rich, they will be nothing more than a burden and a nuissance. At which point, they will desire to eradicate more than half the earth's population. And they will.

Very soon Amazon will have fully automated warehouses that operate with minimal supervision. Like a giant vending machine. Then deliveries to and from will be automatic with drones and vehicles. Buying directly from a supplier will not be allowed if they sell on Amazon. And to become a supplier, you will need supplies, probably from Amazon. It's gonna be great.
I think I got a product from one of those automated warehouses, I ordered some vitamins in a glass bottle,it was shipped in a plastic bag (no packing) and it arrived with holes in the bag from the smashed glass and leaking oily vitamins!!

2 issues here,
1. When more and more people are out of jobs, are they still expecting sales to improve? Job cut is a slippery slope. Instead of job cuts, they should consider cutting extravagant spendings by the management. Just reducing business trips by senior management will result in substantial savings

2. Where governments worldwide are claiming a mild recession, the reality on the ground clearly runs contrary to these claims. We see big companies across most industries cutting headcount drastically, freezing pay, slashing bonuses, etc.

It is inevitable that eventually automation will nullify the need for low level human labor. When the working class are no longer of any utility to the rich, they will be nothing more than a burden and a nuissance. At which point, they will desire to eradicate more than half the earth's population. And they will.
They will or they are already doing it?

So the last argument of people who defend Amazon monopoly just fell, "they hire a lot of people", well they're starting to get rid of them.

Get used to this people, with the scare about a recession companies will start letting go of normal workers while the big money people will still be making tons of money and not giving up any of their salary.

YAY capitalism and greed!

Unless the first world economy nosedives into a massive depression...or turns into Mad Max. You need to watch the documentary Idiocracy

Will admit it quite nice to watch Amazon bleed a little. Over the last decade they've just gone from strength to strength to strength (with a few small tech mishaps along the way, Fire phone, gaming etc.)

Companies will start letting go of normal workers while the big money people will still be making tons of money and not giving up any of their salary.

YAY capitalism and greed!
During the pandemic, the CEOs of Disney, Marriot, Royal Carribean, Delta, Cinemark, and literally hundreds of other companies chose to forego their entire salary. Tens of thousands more took pay cuts of one form or another.

Misguided attacks on capitalism have caused more human misery in the modern era than other belief. And when you define "greed" as "anyone with more money than I", you'll find it everywhere, particularly if your income is low.

Well, they did say in the future people won't have to work, they'll just lie on the beach and drink cocktails with little umbrellas. Because everything will be done by the robots. I guess the future is here.

I am sure your politicians care a lot more about people!!
Intelligent individuals don't care if a politician "cares" about them. They heed only the legislation and policies that politician enacts.

Supporting someone because you "like" them -- or worse, because you believe they like you -- is for teenage girls, not responsible voters.

Intelligent individuals don't care if a politician "cares" about them. They heed only the legislation and policies that politician enacts.

Supporting someone because you "like" them -- or worse, because you believe they like you -- is for teenage girls, not responsible voters.
the-wolf-of-wall-street-clap.gif

I just like to point out the virtue signaling liars. You know the ones who pretend to care about people for publicity then turn around and crap on them when it hits their pocketbook.

During the pandemic, the CEOs of Disney, Marriot, Royal Carribean, Delta, Cinemark, and literally hundreds of other companies chose to forego their entire salary. Tens of thousands more took pay cuts of one form or another.

Misguided attacks on capitalism have caused more human misery in the modern era than other belief. And when you define "greed" as "anyone with more money than I", you'll find it everywhere, particularly if your income is low.
I define greed as the extreme wealth inequality. Exec salaries have been rising obscenely compared to the rest of the company. It's OBVIOUSLY greed.

Back