Amazon destroys Apple's iPad in new Kindle ad

Emil

Staff

Amazon is not going to let Apple's iPad steal all the thunder away from its Kindle. The online retail has decided to demonstrate how its electronic reader is better than the competition simply by pointing out the differences in screen quality. In a Kindle commercial aired on TV and uploaded to Amazon's Kindle channel on YouTube, the web giant shows a man and a woman lounging beside a pool in the sun.

The man is struggling to see the screen of his unlabeled iPad in the bright sunlight and decides to ask the woman how she is managing to read on her device. She replies with a wry smile, explains that it's a $139 Kindle, and says she actually paid more for her sunglasses. Satisfied, she returns to her reading, while the man sadly puts his slate device facedown on his lap. We can presume from the ad that the man's device is using an LCD screen, which is tougher to read in the sun, while the woman's is using an e-ink screen.

The $139 version of the new Kindle can wirelessly download books over Wi-Fi; the 3G and Wi-Fi version costs $189. Meanwhile, the iPad, which can be used for more than just reading books, goes for anywhere between $499 and $829, depending on which features you want. Despite's Amazon's obviously aggressive advertisement, the company also gains with the success of Apple's tablet since the company offers free Kindle applications for numerous devices, including the iPad.

Permalink to story.

1 this is old news
2 they didn't destroy it
3 there are so many ways amazon could of "destroyed" the iPad although they should be focusing more on the Nook.

Plus+ she is wearing sun glasses, all he had to do to shut her up was put on a movie, music, game, chat, stock market, surf the web, hell even write a book. Bad Advertisement. BTW Amazon sells the iPad.

Actually, I though it was a rather good ad and a nice jab.
Cheaper more single purpose, surprised they didn't go after battery life either.

@Kyosuke: The add was perfect. You should have something wrong in your head to be there and put a movie, or play a game, even chat, and you know what? you couldn't with that sun light.

Please learn to read, they destroy as in they put mud on ipad over the kindle, not outsell it in any way. Besides... an iPad costs 5 or even 6 times a Kindle which is extremely bad for what it can do... I rather have a netbook xP

Out of touch.

Not sure you want to brag about $200 sunglasses when so many people are broke and out of work. Makes the woman look like a snob or something worse I won't print here. Pushing the lower price is the right idea, but this is an stupid way to go about it.

And really, all they both need is some kid to cannonball next to them an they'll learn the hard way why it's better to just take a good old fashioned book to the poolside.

Android OS tablet taken second place it can even gives you more for less. I can view Amazon Kindle as well. Still this video puts the iPod to shame and again you can't compare the two as one being PC and the other is e-Reader which is not even in color more monochrome.

I don't really see competition between these devices, its like advertising a netbook as better than a desktop.

I thought the same thing at first...but then I realized they are going after apple customers so it makes sense.

Apple can sell a piece of wood and paint it as an iPad with nice looking icons and it would far outsell anything Amazon would provide.

The commercial didn't destroy the iPad. Sure, the kindle may have a better screen, but I don't know anyone who would buy an iPad just to use it as an e-reader (wow, for once I'm actually standing up for Apple, lol). But seriously, it's kind of common sense that the 2 devices are not the same, so any comparison is a stupid idea.

But I guess for the average consumer who doesn't think for themselves, the commercial worked, although I honestly didn't pay attention to the fact that it was an iPad...I thought it was some other e-reader (afterall, who compares an e-reader to a tablet? Lol).

Nuts. And here I just ordered an iPad from Apple so I could read Kindle books out by the public pool while lounging around next to professional models. Guess I'll have to think up a new come-on. Let's see... "You paid $200 for your sunglasses? Geez, I got the same pair for only $5 plus $172.50 S&H on eBay." Yeah, that might work.

Looks like Emil Protalinski is yet another Apple\iPad envy patient.

Besides, this is days old. They must be out of meaningful material and desperate for hits at TechSpot.

Back