Amazon is finally cracking down on counterfeit products

Jos

Staff

Amazon has been doing some cleaning up lately to provide a safer shopping experience to its users. After stepping up its efforts to clamp down on incentivized reviews, the company is now looking to fight fake products from appearing on its website, by setting up teams in the U.S. and Europe that will work with manufacturers to establish a registry of recognized sellers.

According to a report by Bloomberg, Amazon has made fighting fakes a major goal for 2017. The news outlet’s sources claim that the company's new teams will seek out brands, even those that don't sell through Amazon, to register with it. Once a trademark name is registered, any marketplace seller who lists one of the products will be forced to provide proof they have the brand's permission.

The system would in theory reverse the current situation by going directly to brands when sellers want to list a product, instead of brands reporting counterfeit goods to Amazon and waiting for a response.

This has become an increasingly troublesome issue for Amazon. According to Bloomberg, the counterfeit problem has prevented the MLB and the NFL from selling its merchandise on the site, while Apple recently sued US-based firm Mobile Star LLC for trademark infringement, alleging that it has been selling counterfeit goods using Apple logos and product images in its Amazon listings.

When it comes to electronics, buying one of these fakes means you could be putting yourself at risk. Apple noted counterfeits are often poorly built with inferior or missing parts, flawed designs, and inadequate electrical insulation. They have the potential to cause fires or even “deadly” electric shocks.

The creation of a brand registry would mark Amazon’s biggest push against counterfeits yet, but the company has tried other policies recently, including a $1,500 fee for sellers who want to sell a major brand — something legit businesses would be willing to pay while fending off counterfeiters. It also filed two lawsuits against merchants it says are selling counterfeit goods.

Permalink to story.

So the big question is:

1. Are they finally giving a damn about their customers as well as their image? or
2. Are they seeing their loyal shoppers go elsewhere because they are tired of being ripped off, then ignored?

I for one am dropping my Prime Account since they can't seem to make that quick shipping deadline they claim and frankly, getting something in a few days vs. a week to ten days simply isn't worth a $100 of my hard earned money when they should be getting me the product quickly as a matter of business practice, not just as a bribe that I'm having to pay for.

Amazon has gotten as big if not bigger than the JC Penny, Sears, and other catalog companies. Oh yes, their speed has increased, but they apparently has forgotten what made them successful and hope that everyone else will too ...... small chance of that!

So the big question is:

1. Are they finally giving a damn about their customers as well as their image? or
2. Are they seeing their loyal shoppers go elsewhere because they are tired of being ripped off, then ignored?

I for one am dropping my Prime Account since they can't seem to make that quick shipping deadline they claim and frankly, getting something in a few days vs. a week to ten days simply isn't worth a $100 of my hard earned money when they should be getting me the product quickly as a matter of business practice, not just as a bribe that I'm having to pay for.

Amazon has gotten as big if not bigger than the JC Penny, Sears, and other catalog companies. Oh yes, their speed has increased, but they apparently has forgotten what made them successful and hope that everyone else will too ...... small chance of that!

Honestly, this post is going to be ignored by everyone other than Amazon haters (an impossibly small group of people, given Amazon's revenue).

Reminds me of when I used to work retail a few years back and we'd get some customer who'd make a big deal out of nothing or come in with an entirely unreasonable expectation and make a scene because "the customer is always right." Inevitably ending in, "I am never doing business with this company again." ... to which management, staff, and every customer in the store would respond with indifference.

That having been said...it is nice to hear they are taking action against bogus goods. I suppose those $2 "chronograph" wrist watches are going to be delisted soon.

Well I have a solution for companies who's products are being so heavily counterfitted

1) don't make products with Chinese slave labor to make 10,000% profit margins on small electronics
2) don't mark up your products 10,000%, it only attracts counter fitters

It's not Amazon's fault that other companies greedy business practices encourage counterfitting.

So the big question is:

what are you talking about, I am a prime member too, I always receive my packages on time (I.e. next day if I order them up until a certain hour). My grip is with the prime video, it looks like every bastard with a camera can upload its brainfarts and call it a movie.

Well I have a solution for companies who's products are being so heavily counterfitted

1) don't make products with Chinese slave labor to make 10,000% profit margins on small electronics

It's not Amazon's fault that other companies greedy business practices encourage counterfitting.
That profit figure is not attainable, please watch ifixit videos to have an idea about the profit they are making (based on the comparison of the cost of total components and the price of final product). It is not slave labour btw - it is an economical partnership. If it would be slave labour it would make you an accomplice as you would buy the products of slave labour.

On the other hand, these days I am reading a book by Carl Sagan which warned the US (his compatriots) in 1995 that if they don't start investing heavily in their education, the industry is going to move to other countries. I also heard that most americans believe in angels which gives an accurate estimation of the low education levels in there. It is funny as I always thought that US companies are moving the production lines out because of profit. This is true but there are deeper reasons which if solved will bring back the jobs to US. The book is called The Demon-Haunted World - very good read (you can also find the pdf online if you do a simple google search ;)).

I so seldom use Amazon. I can mostly always find the same thing for less elsewhere so that's where my money goes. On the occasion I have used them, and that was for something difficult to find elsewhere, their service wasn't great so they're usually the last resort for any of my purchasing needs.

Last edited:
That profit figure is not attainable, please watch ifixit videos to have an idea about the profit they are making (based on the comparison of the cost of total components and the price of final product). It is not slave labour btw - it is an economical partnership. If it would be slave labour it would make you an accomplice as you would buy the products of slave labour.

On the other hand, these days I am reading a book by Carl Sagan which warned the US (his compatriots) in 1995 that if they don't start investing heavily in their education, the industry is going to move to other countries. I also heard that most americans believe in angels which gives an accurate estimation of the low education levels in there. It is funny as I always thought that US companies are moving the production lines out because of profit. This is true but there are deeper reasons which if solved will bring back the jobs to US. The book is called The Demon-Haunted World - very good read (you can also find the pdf online if you do a simple google search ;)).
To clarify, I wasn't talking about the devices themselves(which aren't being counterfited) what is being counterfitted is cables and adapters. When you take <$1 worth of parts and turn around to sell it for $30-40, yeah, that's absurd amounts of profits.

And if you think you the working conditions at anything at Foxconn and other Asian manufacturing countries are anything less than slave labor then you're a fool. They have suicide nets around the tops of builds for ****s sake, you take your "Partnerships" and shove it. I also don't buy apple products or name brand anything for the simply reason that it is ****ing slave labor and I don't support it. There are somethings that I have to buy, doesn't make me like it anymore.

As far as US manufacturing is going, there is actual manufacturing coming back to the US. It's simply cheaper to make things here with robots. They work 24/7 for free and without breaks. They also perform higher than human labor. The next great surge in jobs will be from robotic technicians repairing broken manufacturing robots.

To clarify, I wasn't talking about the devices themselves(which aren't being counterfited) what is being counterfitted is cables and adapters. When you take <$1 worth of parts and turn around to sell it for $30-40, yeah, that's absurd amounts of profits.

And if you think you the working conditions at anything at Foxconn and other Asian manufacturing countries are anything less than slave labor then you're a fool. They have suicide nets around the tops of builds for ****s sake, you take your "Partnerships" and shove it. I also don't buy apple products or name brand anything for the simply reason that it is ****ing slave labor and I don't support it. There are somethings that I have to buy, doesn't make me like it anymore.

As far as US manufacturing is going, there is actual manufacturing coming back to the US. It's simply cheaper to make things here with robots. They work 24/7 for free and without breaks. They also perform higher than human labor. The next great surge in jobs will be from robotic technicians repairing broken manufacturing robots.
You have people complaining about slave labour here in UK too. Actually everywhere. Suicides due to harsh conditions at work happens everywhere - cause corporations are used to exploit their employees. ... so I'll continue calling it partnership if you don't mind - at least the Chinese economy got out of the poophole with this partnership. Western world buy their products and Chinese make a living. When you were dirt poor before, you are glad for this opportunity and China has improved constantly since decades ago when Motorola decided to start this trend on spilling know-how towards them in exchange for profits. The fact that you don't buy apple products is not relevant - that Foxconn company can make deals with other brands - unless you'll become a hermit in the wilderness, there is no way to avoid getting your hands dirty too as you buy the products of "slave labour". Secondly - keep dreaming about manufacturing coming back to US. Robots my behind - please see my remark above about americans believing in angels...

Agree entirely.

You have people complaining about slave labour here in UK too. Actually everywhere. Suicides due to harsh conditions at work happens everywhere - cause corporations are used to exploit their employees. ... so I'll continue calling it partnership if you don't mind - at least the Chinese economy got out of the poophole with this partnership. Western world buy their products and Chinese make a living. When you were dirt poor before, you are glad for this opportunity and China has improved constantly since decades ago when Motorola decided to start this trend on spilling know-how towards them in exchange for profits. The fact that you don't buy apple products is not relevant - that Foxconn company can make deals with other brands - unless you'll become a hermit in the wilderness, there is no way to avoid getting your hands dirty too as you buy the products of "slave labour". Secondly - keep dreaming about manufacturing coming back to US. Robots my behind - please see my remark above about americans believing in angels...
yeah, you brexit guys don't know what slave labor is(trust me, I'm an American). So even if the Chinese people are more indentured servants than slaves, that doesn't excuse the fact that their living conditions are far below your's and mine. Comparing our lives to theirs is a disservice to the sacrifice they're making for us to have this argument. I do not like buying things from china, but it is unavoidable. That does not mean I'm actively supporting slave labor just because I'm forced into buying products made with it. And don't think you know harsh working conditions, I was trained as a stone mason in the US and few things are more grueling than masonry training. Well, aside from being a Chinese slave.

You seem to think that just because our globalist politicians and economists forced the world in this direction that I, as an individual, is responsible. China has not improved constantly. In fact, the Chinese elite are buying their way into western nations because of the destruction China is causing to their homeland. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is forcing people with enough money out of their country. The people who have become rich off of the western deportation of jobs are now moving to other countries to spend their money. China's economic growth is slowing because their constant counterfeiting and thief of intellectual property is forcing businesses to, well, do business elsewhere.

I also don't understand where you get this idea of American's believing in angels, I'm certainly not one of them. Fact of the matter is that when considering IP thief, it is cheaper to manufacture goods in the US using robots to sell to US citizens than make and ship them overseas. We are, after all, the largest economy in the world.

And as a bit of a side note, I am an outdoorsman so what is wrong with being a hermit in the wilderness? Are you too afraid to step outside your protected box paid for by your wage-slave job to actually enjoy what the world has to offer? True happiness in life comes not from an illuminated box you hold in your hand, but the expansive wilderness given to us to explore with those closest.

where Are those made BTW (j/k)
Nevada , New York State and New Mexico. As a Pennsylvania resident I know that they are starting to appear around Pittsburgh. Many tech startups are looking to locally source companies to rapidly build prototypes for them before sending the final plans to NV, NY and NM.

So the big question is:

what are you talking about, I am a prime member too, I always receive my packages on time (I.e. next day if I order them up until a certain hour). My grip is with the prime video, it looks like every bastard with a camera can upload its brainfarts and call it a movie.
Don't forget how easy it is to accidently purchase a video not included with prime.
Family have done it to me a few times >_>

Asides from that, living in the middle of nowhere off mainland I never expect next day. All my deliveries are usuall 3-5 days but it's nice to know I can sometimes get same day or next day if I send stuff to friends which I've never had a problem with.

yeah, you brexit guys don't know what slave labor is(trust me, I'm an American). So even if the Chinese people are more indentured servants than slaves, that doesn't excuse the fact that their living conditions are far below your's and mine. Comparing our lives to theirs is a disservice to the sacrifice they're making for us to have this argument. I do not like buying things from china, but it is unavoidable. That does not mean I'm actively supporting slave labor just because I'm forced into buying products made with it. And don't think you know harsh working conditions, I was trained as a stone mason in the US and few things are more grueling than masonry training. Well, aside from being a Chinese slave.

You seem to think that just because our globalist politicians and economists forced the world in this direction that I, as an individual, is responsible. China has not improved constantly. In fact, the Chinese elite are buying their way into western nations because of the destruction China is causing to their homeland. The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) is forcing people with enough money out of their country. The people who have become rich off of the western deportation of jobs are now moving to other countries to spend their money. China's economic growth is slowing because their constant counterfeiting and thief of intellectual property is forcing businesses to, well, do business elsewhere.

I also don't understand where you get this idea of American's believing in angels, I'm certainly not one of them. Fact of the matter is that when considering IP thief, it is cheaper to manufacture goods in the US using robots to sell to US citizens than make and ship them overseas. We are, after all, the largest economy in the world.

And as a bit of a side note, I am an outdoorsman so what is wrong with being a hermit in the wilderness? Are you too afraid to step outside your protected box paid for by your wage-slave job to actually enjoy what the world has to offer? True happiness in life comes not from an illuminated box you hold in your hand, but the expansive wilderness given to us to explore with those closest.

Nevada , New York State and New Mexico. As a Pennsylvania resident I know that they are starting to appear around Pittsburgh. Many tech startups are looking to locally source companies to rapidly build prototypes for them before sending the final plans to NV, NY and NM.

Look, I just live and work in UK, I don't even have citizenship. Call me after you worked 36 hours straight to meet a deadline - we can compare who had the toughest situation although I wasn't aware it should be a competition.

I don't know who told you about that situations, but you are misinformed. I work along with the Chinese so I get the info from them - not political analysts, CNN, etc. Most of them don't adapt to life here - they hang out together, when they visit other cities they eat at Chinese restaurants, etc. It is very painful for them to speak other language than Chinese - you want to torture a Chinese - put him to watch a movie without subtitles. Trust me, all they want is to get back to their country as soon as they get a bit of experience here. I have two colleagues which are going to get a much higher salary than me when they are going back to China in one year - they already signed the contract. China is not slowing down - businesses are flowing into it. Such a large market, not as poor as India for instance is the dream for each company - going away would be retarded at least. For example, Apple products are selling like crazy in China, every Chinese I know has an Iphone and an Ipad if not a mac too. When this year's iphone model appeared, they told me about people back in China spending as much as 3000$ on black market just to get one quickly.

Corruption exists anywhere - in fact, you have corruption in US too, plenty of it. What I like about Chinese is that from time to time they execute their corrupt politicians, while in US they only step back from the public view in order to resurface later on to apply for an even bigger position. I am not trying to defend the IP theft but when you spend in average 4 millions dollars on a patent lawsuit is counterproductive. It does not help the little guys, only the top dogs I tell you. The model is not perfect, is far away from its original purpose when it was invented 150 years ago, and western companies are stealing from each other all the time. Signaling out the Chinese for such practice and posing like US is the bomb means you are deceiving yourself.

If you still think you are buying the slave labour products from China, there is no way to avoid responsability. Do not blame the politicians, economists or other causes. Stop buying Made in China products or accept complicity. The "globalist politicians" expression is cute, except that US politicans cannot be suspected of having a coherent external politics - in fact I have the feeling they didn't control anything in this matter - free markets stuff you know, companies chosed to move elsewhere, capitalism is a b**** but what can you do? you can stop buying products from China.

Here - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-nearly-8-in-10-americans-believe-in-angels/ it is not the only link, you can google and see more like astrology, reincarnation, etc. Stuff like this can be related with low levels of education.

I am an outdoorsman too, though the UK landscape is not as challenging as in my country. And you got me wrong - I am not stopping you to do anything. Go and explore and wait for the robots to come and work instead of you .... slave wage? What are you a 6 years old? Is it a shame to work in US for a low salary?

Don't forget how easy it is to accidently purchase a video not included with prime.
Family have done it to me a few times >_>

Asides from that, living in the middle of nowhere off mainland I never expect next day. All my deliveries are usuall 3-5 days but it's nice to know I can sometimes get same day or next day if I send stuff to friends which I've never had a problem with.
That is very weird - you are referring to that 1 click buy stuff? Never bought accidentally a movie but I think it is very easy to apply back for a refund. I have prime Membership - if I buy the product today it will get to me tomorrow - this is a guarantee. If the product I buy doesn't have a Prime option than it can take as much as 2-3 weeks sometimes.

Look, I just live and work in UK, I don't even have citizenship. Call me after you worked 36 hours straight to meet a deadline - we can compare who had the toughest situation although I wasn't aware it should be a competition.
I owned and operated a masonry company, I've never worked 36 hours straight, but I am no stranger to 80 and 90 hour weeks during the work season

I don't know who told you about that situations, but you are misinformed. I work along with the Chinese so I get the info from them - not political analysts, CNN, etc. Most of them don't adapt to life here - they hang out together, when they visit other cities they eat at Chinese restaurants, etc. It is very painful for them to speak other language than Chinese - you want to torture a Chinese - put him to watch a movie without subtitles. Trust me, all they want is to get back to their country as soon as they get a bit of experience here. I have two colleagues which are going to get a much higher salary than me when they are going back to China in one year - they already signed the contract. China is not slowing down - businesses are flowing into it. Such a large market, not as poor as India for instance is the dream for each company - going away would be retarded at least. For example, Apple products are selling like crazy in China, every Chinese I know has an Iphone and an Ipad if not a mac too. When this year's iphone model appeared, they told me about people back in China spending as much as 3000$ on black market just to get one quickly.
I don't get my information from CNN or any of the US propaganda networks. As far as a higher salary than you when they go back to China, I have to call BS. Either they are some of the lucky few elite or you're just flat out lying. The Average Chinese worker, in china, makes about $5000 a year. Foxconn Pays their employees $400/m before overtime, with many making around $550/m working 60 hour weeks.

http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/the-ieconomy-how-much-do-foxconn-workers-make/ Keep in mind that foxconn is one of the highest paying slaveries in China. Fact of the matter is that foxconn, and ofther chinese factories, have to install suicide nets to prevent their slaves from killing themselves
15384_large_Foxconn_Suicide_Nets.jpg

Corruption exists anywhere - in fact, you have corruption in US too, plenty of it. What I like about Chinese is that from time to time they execute their corrupt politicians, while in US they only step back from the public view in order to resurface later on to apply for an even bigger position. I am not trying to defend the IP theft but when you spend in average 4 millions dollars on a patent lawsuit is counterproductive. It does not help the little guys, only the top dogs I tell you. The model is not perfect, is far away from its original purpose when it was invented 150 years ago, and western companies are stealing from each other all the time. Signaling out the Chinese for such practice and posing like US is the bomb means you are deceiving yourself.
I'm not deceiving myself, you were trying to imply that I as an individual is personally responsible for the corruption in the US. I am not and it was a dumb argument to try to make.

As far as IP theft is concerned, companies are moving out of China because IT IS A SECURITY RISK. It's not about lost profits, it's about security.

If you still think you are buying the slave labour products from China, there is no way to avoid responsability. Do not blame the politicians, economists or other causes. Stop buying Made in China products or accept complicity. The "globalist politicians" expression is cute, except that US politicans cannot be suspected of having a coherent external politics - in fact I have the feeling they didn't control anything in this matter - free markets stuff you know, companies chosed to move elsewhere, capitalism is a b**** but what can you do? you can stop buying products from China.
Again, I, as an individual, have no control over where Apple or whoever makes their products. Our current situation is is from decades of deregulation and "free trade". Which, I might add, is complete and utter bullsh*t. The free market and free trade helps no one but the companies using it. Free trade is current reason that wages are going down not only in the US, but world wide. We the people do not have billions of dollars to throw at politicians to push a political agenda.

Here - http://www.cbsnews.com/news/poll-nearly-8-in-10-americans-believe-in-angels/ it is not the only link, you can google and see more like astrology, reincarnation, etc. Stuff like this can be related with low levels of education.
I don't care what your or other people believe, personally I'm an athiest. There is an agenda in the US to lower the IQ of the people to make them easier to manipulate. If you look at the results of our last election you can see that it is working quite well. However, I don't understand the relevancy of angels unless you are trying to lump me in with all the other dumb Americans.

I am an outdoorsman too, though the UK landscape is not as challenging as in my country. And you got me wrong - I am not stopping you to do anything. Go and explore and wait for the robots to come and work instead of you .... slave wage? What are you a 6 years old? Is it a shame to work in US for a low salary?
If you look at the propaganda that's being pushed in the US you'd know that there is an ideaology that says that people who work low wage jobs deserve to be paid little because they're uneducated and probably drug users. That isn't true, but it works to manipulate the masses into thinking that it's their fault for getting paid so little and that they, and only they, are responsible for their shitty wage.

BTW, salaries don't really exist in the US anymore. People get paid by the hour and overtime pay is on it's way out too. Companies abuse something called "contractor law" which allows them to label all their employees as private contractors. Contractor law enables companies to not pay overtime or give benefits to their employees. Another thing that happens is "franchising" where one person will own, say, a McDonalds. That store is separate from the corporation and partially exempt from internal policy.

Going back to overtime pay, I've had a few winter jobs that it's cheaper for the company to hire an accountant to cook the books and pay you standard hourly wage cash. Everytime I work for one of them I wait until the work season starts and then anonymously report them for tax evasion. Even if they beat the audit they still had to pay a few hundred thousand for lawyers fighting the IRS.

Last edited:
Back