Amazon is reportedly planning to open six more cashier-less Go stores in 2018

midian182

Staff member

After a long testing period and one big delay, Amazon’s cashier-free grocery store finally opened to the public last month. But it seems that the experiment has already been deemed a success, as the company is reportedly planning six more Amazon Go locations by the end of this year.

According to Recode, which cites people familiar with the plans, at least three of the new stores will open in Seattle—the same city where the current Amazon Go is found—while others will appear in Los Angeles. It’s unclear if Amazon will open more outlets in different locations this year.

Recode adds that Jeff Bezos’ company has held “serious talks” with billionaire developer Rick Caruso about placing one of its stores within The Grove, L.A’s famous 600,000-square foot outdoor shopping center.

Amazon Go’s “Just Walk Out Technology” uses a combination of machine learning, computer vision, deep learning algorithms and sensor fusion to determine when you pick up an item and place it in your basket. It even knows if something is returned to the shelf, should you change your mind. Once shoppers leave the premises, the total cost is automatically charged to their associated Amazon account.

While the system removes the need for cashiers, the stores are still staffed by humans who stock shelves, check IDs for alcohol purchases, and other duties, along with security guards.

After it opened in late 2016, only Amazon employees could use the company’s Seattle Go store during the lengthy beta phase. It was supposed to open in March last year, but the system reportedly struggled when more than 20 people were in the store. As such, the opening was delayed until January, though Amazon claims the delay was due to excessive demand from its own employees.

While they are due sometime in 2018, there’s no word on exactly when we’ll see the new Amazon Go stores. Given that the original has only just opened to the public, they’re more likely to arrive in the second half of the year. Eventually, it's thought that Amazon may start implementing the technology in Whole Foods outlets—the company acquired the organic-food chain in 2017. How such a move would affect Whole Foods staff is unclear.

Permalink to story.

WAY TO GO!!!

Lets put more people out of work, increase poverty and crime rates!!!

Who was the retard that thought this was a good idea???

No way will I ever use your service and anyone who does should be ashamed of themselves!!!

All the unemployed will be raping the shelves clean with no one present to stop them. These business models don't work too well in poor neighborhoods.

All the unemployed will be raping the shelves clean with no one present to stop them. These business models don't work too well in poor neighborhoods.

Hence why they'll never be in poor neighborhoods. The Grove in LA is posh outdoor mall. I imagine Amazon will put more of these around Seattle and its expensive real estate.

This is the future and that's how it's going to be. Gas stations already doing this with Self-Serve for years even in poor areas. No Cash accepted it's all PDC, DC, CC. Costco, Walmart Scan N Go and my work has this stuff in place no need to hire a food service person. Robot Sally will take your order or take your items you want to purchase. Note some self-serve will take cash Depends where you live. Banks cutting down on tellers and using Automatic Teller (aka ATM) some are only cashback no deposit. My bank the drive through has no live teller shoot drop it's has more than one ATM in it's drive thru bays.

WAY TO GO!!!

No way will I ever use your service and anyone who does should be ashamed of themselves!!!

From the first time a car put a blacksmith out of work because he didn't need to shoe horses, technology has been shifting people to different jobs. Technology moves jobs around... it doesn't create unemployment. Back in the 1920's some famous economists (like Keynes) thought that the automation in factories and farming would create so much free time for people that we'd all have 20 hour work weeks. Clearly we don't.

20 years ago no one could have imagined there'd be a job called 'Social Media Coordinator' in companies today. I'm a programmer... a job that did exist when I was born, although there's like a million percent more of them now.

This type of technology is a good thing. Stop thinking it's another way for the rich to pray on the poor. Were you upset when Apple put a GPS in their phone and instantly made separate GPS devices obsolete? Should we not make self-driving cars because some taxi/uber drivers won't be needed?

WAY TO GO!!!

From the first time a car put a blacksmith out of work because he didn't need to shoe horses, technology has been shifting people to different jobs. Technology moves jobs around... it doesn't create unemployment. Back in the 1920's some famous economists (like Keynes) thought that the automation in factories and farming would create so much free time for people that we'd all have 20 hour work weeks. Clearly we don't.

20 years ago no one could have imagined there'd be a job called 'Social Media Coordinator' in companies today. I'm a programmer... a job that did exist when I was born, although there's like a million percent more of them now.

This type of technology is a good thing. Stop thinking it's another way for the rich to pray on the poor. Were you upset when Apple put a GPS in their phone and instantly made separate GPS devices obsolete? Should we not make self-driving cars because some taxi/uber drivers won't be needed?
While that holds true, most of these efficiency increases decrease the job availability for the extremely poor or uneducated people. Some will go through the process of getting the required education to get the higher end jobs these types of changes produce, but many are left behind, with nothing to do, and no work for them to have. So they go on welfare programs and everyone with the higher end jobs gets stuck paying for it. There was a quote in my medieval history book in high school that boiled down the peasant revolts to them not having anything to do, give them work, they will work, There has to be ditch diggers.

WAY TO GO!!!

While that holds true, most of these efficiency increases decrease the job availability for the extremely poor or uneducated people. Some will go through the process of getting the required education to get the higher end jobs these types of changes produce, but many are left behind, with nothing to do, and no work for them to have. So they go on welfare programs and everyone with the higher end jobs gets stuck paying for it. There was a quote in my medieval history book in high school that boiled down the peasant revolts to them not having anything to do, give them work, they will work, There has to be ditch diggers.

Stupid people need jobs too..! as the saying goes..:p

I would love to see a bot doing pick and shovel work.hand exposing a gas main valve.better be intrinsically safe...

good idea ,I can now refuse certain tasks ."get the bot.I'm not getting down there,Going in there,getting up there,etc..."

Hell, I'm still waiting for Gender Equality to kick in, be careful what you ask for girls..

Last edited:
Back