Amazon is reportedly reconsidering New York headquarters following unexpected pushback

Shawn Knight

Staff member
A hot potato: Given the pushback from locals in New York, one has to wonder if Amazon had a runner-up in its bid. If so, that city might be getting a second look, especially if opponents continue to put up a fight.

Amazon in late 2017 announced plans to build a secondary headquarters in North America. The e-commerce giant elicited a bidding war as host cities interested in bringing jobs to their local communities offered varying incentives to help persuade Amazon to pick them.

After careful consideration, Amazon narrowed its search down to two host cities: Long Island City, New York, and Crystal City, Virginia.

The economic impact of the projects would be substantial. Each location is expected to provide up to 25,000 jobs for locals and generate millions in tax revenue. Most cities coveted the selection but apparently, not New York.

According to a recent report from The Washington Post, Amazon is reconsidering its plan to set up shop in New York following a wave of unexpected opposition from local politicians. The publication notes that opponents are concerned about rent hikes which could lead to displacement. Increased traffic around the site would only worsen the area’s gridlock.

It’s entirely possible that Amazon will grow tired of devoting time and money to a fight it didn’t anticipate.

Sources say no specific plans are in place to abandon New York and it’s unclear what might happen if Amazon does pull out of the project. One possibility would be to downscale the project; another would be to look for a different host city.

Permalink to story.

I don't blame NY one bit for trying to put a halt to this. Here in Seattle, we're all appreciative of the jobs and influx of money Amazon has brought, but there's a nightmare side to it also.

Highest rent hikes in the nation two years running, severe lack of housing, huge homelessness problem as they come here to "feed" off the new influx of people, horrible traffic and street congestion, you name it.

I think Amazon would be better served looking for a more rural city to plant it's next headquarters as opposed to a huge metropolis.

I don't blame NY one bit for trying to put a halt to this. Here in Seattle, we're all appreciative of the jobs and influx of money Amazon has brought, but there's a nightmare side to it also.

Highest rent hikes in the nation two years running, severe lack of housing, huge homelessness problem as they come here to "feed" off the new influx of people, horrible traffic and street congestion, you name it.

I think Amazon would be better served looking for a more rural city to plant it's next headquarters as opposed to a huge metropolis.

Yeah, seeing people who've lived in an area their whole lives being forced out by greedy landlords is pretty horrible. Its even worse when you think about how Amazon could shut down those facilities at any time and then you've got all that new development just sitting their idle and crumbling away. Companies need to either commit to an area long-term (like they used to) or expect NO special breaks from local government.

Yeah, seeing people who've lived in an area their whole lives being forced out by greedy landlords is pretty horrible. Its even worse when you think about how Amazon could shut down those facilities at any time and then you've got all that new development just sitting their idle and crumbling away. Companies need to either commit to an area long-term (like they used to) or expect NO special breaks from local government.
It was the same thing with malls in their heyday.

Politicians and developers would get together and promote a new mall coming to the area with promises of, "great increases of citizen's property values". Sure enough, housing went up in value, as did the taxation on those properties.

Malls expand outward sort of like ringworm. The closest ones to the center of the infection then die, and new mall projects keep having to move further outward from urban population centers, seeking new customer base.

The old mall dies, but the property taxes increased by its former existence, never go back down.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if he made an island just to save more money in the long run. Didn't China build or in the works of making a man made island?

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if he made an island just to save more money in the wrong run. Didn't China build or in the works of making a man made island?
I thought it was the Arabs, but I did a quick Google search to be sure: https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/man-made-islands-in-dubai.html

As for Bezos building an island for his distribution center., the whole idea is to get the goods closer to the people who are buying them.

Accordingly, any part of the continental US is subject to territorial sovereignty, and eminent domain, out to and including territorial waters https://www.quora.com/What-parts-of-the-oceans-are-considered-international-waters

So, your post does pass the sarcasm muster with flying colors, but you have to admit, it is absurd.

If by "forced out", you mean "bought out with a windfall of money."

No one forces anyone to do anything. My God it's insane how fundamentally most people seem to not understand basic economic concepts.

That, or the upper class is bored of being rich and wants to make New York poor again lol. Hey then they can complain more too!

Back