Amazon Prime Day kicks off July 12 with 48 hours of savings

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Amazon hosted its first Prime Day sale on July 15, 2015, to commemorate the company's 20th anniversary. The shopping event has been held annually ever since – usually in July. In 2020, Prime Day was pushed back to October due to the pandemic. Last year, it came a month early in June.

Amazon's annual Prime Day sales extravaganza is less than a month away but you won't have to wait until mid-July to take advantage of savings.

This year's 48-hour Prime Day kicks off on July 12 and runs through July 13 for Prime members in more than 20 countries including the US, Canada, Australia, China, Japan, Mexico and the UK.

Shoppers can take advantage of discounts from today. Amazon's three for the price of two sale is still going strong, and customers will have access to early Prime Day deals starting June 21. Users can even complete tasks to earn a $10 credit for use during Prime Day.

The influence of Prime Day extends far beyond Amazon's walls. In recent years, other major retailers including Walmart and Target have countered Prime Day with their own exclusive sales events to coincide with Amazon's shopping holiday. There's no reason to think this year will be any different.

Discounts aside, Prime Day has traditionally served as an excellent opportunity for Amazon to sell more Prime memberships. That could be a bit tougher this year, however, considering the recent $20 membership price hike.

Permalink to story.

Amazon Prime used to be amazin, but I think it has become too big. Prices are increasing and every year I keep questioning whether or not to get rid of it. This year might be the year… we will see.

Amazon Prime used to be amazin, but I think it has become too big. Prices are increasing and every year I keep questioning whether or not to get rid of it. This year might be the year… we will see.

Same with me. I've been purchasing less online, and more locally, when I can find it. I've watched about everything I want on Prime, don't use their music. Dropping Prime? yeah, the shipping and longer wait for delivery...big deal.

Prime has lost it's appeal. My membership is up in July and I think it's about time to dump them, especially since they refuse to seperate the services to you can pick and choose what you want from what you don't want.

Specifically because of the last rate hike, I dropped Prime membership when it expired. Have not really missed anything. At least here, you can still get free shipping if you spend (I just checked) it seems $25. It is pretty easy to resubscribe later, if necessary.

I know prices are going up, but we customers/users have to stand up for ourselves and impose some cost on repeated price raising decisions like these companies keep making.

And it may be a bit petty, but it felt good to let it go. It was almost as good as cancelling a cable company. OK, nothing is as good as cancelling a cable company...

Strange to read about so much hate for Prime here. I absolutely love it! Prime video alone is worth more then the $10 a month. On top of that most of my deliveries are 1 day primed and I get well over 150 packages a year. Amazon Prime is an absolute steal!

Strange to read about so much hate for Prime here. I absolutely love it! Prime video alone is worth more then the $10 a month. On top of that most of my deliveries are 1 day primed and I get well over 150 packages a year. Amazon Prime is an absolute steal!
Yeah, good point, Max225719. I don't intend to sound negative. It sounds like Prime is good for your situation. I am just pushing for users to stand up for themselves. Business, government, labor all stand up for themselves. I feel like customers/users don't... enough. Cheers!

Back