Amazon Prime Video gets HBO and Cinemax add-ons

Jos

Staff

Amazon is continuing its push into online streaming video with the addition of two new Channel add-ons for Prime video members: HBO and Cinemax. The HBO package is $14.99 per month for unlimited streaming access to its TV shows and full movie library, which is the same price as an HBO now subscription, while Cinemax is a bit cheaper at $9.99 per month.

Amazon Channels was launched in late 2015 and currently lets Prime members select from more than 70 video subscriptions to add them to their existing membership. Current partners include Showtime, Starz, Acorn TV, NBCUniversal’s Seeso, Machinima, Warner Bros.’ DramaFever, Tribeca Shortlist, Comedy Central’s Stand-Up Plus, and the service recently added PBS Kids and Fandor.

Having yet another way to get HBO may seem unnecessary when you can already get it directly through HBO's own streaming app for the same price, and other over-the-top streaming services. However, if you are a heavy Prime ecosystem user, adding HBO through Prime will let you stay within that ecosystem when flipping between channels rather than having to cycle through multiple apps.

Amazon offers free 30-day trials with all Amazon Channels subscriptions.

Amazon has been positioning itself as a capable competitor to Netflix. The service was previously only available to annual Prime subscribers for $99 per year, but the company began offering a monthly $8.99 Prime subscription back in April, and has been putting more money into original programming too.

Permalink to story.

In other news, Techspot is doing the job Amazons marketing department should be doing.
Yes, but I like seeing fed people, do you?
They are earning their bread, who can blame them for that?
I wouldn't pay for that though. They should combine all addons and offer entire package for something like 49.99 or 99.99 depending on whats included (im not familiar with current amazon library) instead of this ridiculous mess that is also unreasonably expensive.

The add-on part got me interested, then I realized it was the same price as their normal subscription, so... why is it called an add-on to an already paid service?

I know it's not techspots fault, they just release the tech news but still... =/

The add-on part got me interested, then I realized it was the same price as their normal subscription, so... why is it called an add-on to an already paid service?

I know it's not techspots fault, they just release the tech news but still... =/

Concur with your assessment. It's like paying twice for a second less capable option.

I've used Amazon Prime for several years and although I don't like the rate increase it's still one of the best deals around. I save more than the $99 a year in shipping alone. On top of that you get movies and books free, what a deal.... My subscription gets updated every Feb.....

Personally, I have no interest in this. I am already watching almost too much TV with OTA, Netflix, and Hulu. With Hulu, there are similar add-ons, and I have no interest in these either. I used to have Prime, but I hardly used it to view anything, and keeping it for the occasional free shipping is not worth it to me.

In addition, I have ordered from crapAzon subsequent to my prime subscription, and I find myself pestered to resubscribe to prime. When my orders have been over the limit for free shipping, they frequently sit for days until they are shipped. As I see it, it is all an effort to get me to resubscribe to prime. Instead, I have found that there are other online retailers out there that offer the same or better pricing than crapAzon and free shipping without all the hassle that I get from crapAzon. I am simply not a fan of crapAzon's business practices, and I refuse to support them by giving them my business.

As far as these addons go from crapAzon, I view this as yet another attempt in the long line of online streaming services to get subscribers to pay more than they were paying for cable or satellite for less content. I cut the cord almost three years ago now, and I left behind that $87/mo cost for a cost of $14/mo. I personally do not see why I would want to pay these exorbitant fees when I can just wait for the same content to come to one of my current services.

The way that the fees work for addons is that the price for the addon is in addition to the price for the normal service. I.e., $99/year for prime + the cost per month for each add on. Subscribing to their addons will dramatically increase any prime member's monthly cost. Also, I believe it is not possible to subscribe to an addon without subscribing to prime.

Last edited:
Back