1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Amazon releases Kindle Fire 6.2.1 update, improves performance

By Rick · 7 replies
Dec 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Yesterday, Amazon released version 6.2.1 of its Kindle Software. The primary goal of this update appears to be improving UI performance, a notable complaint against the Kindle Fire since its…

Read the whole story

2. Xero07

Xero07 TS Booster Posts: 100

Looks like a decent update. still tempted to get one.

3. Julio Franco

Julio Franco TechSpot Editor Posts: 7,372   +795

Just got the update over the air. The device is reasonably faster, which was by far my #1 complaint because otherwise the Kindle Fire was VERY choppy to interact with and use. It's not got to the point where I hoped it would be, but it's a large improvement ~50%.

4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Topic Starter Posts: 4,572   +65

Sounds far from perfect still, but I'd say an anecdotal "~50%" improvement is definitely a good thing.

I don't have one, but I've demoed it a couple of times, actually. I was not impressed with the speed. It felt far less snappy than tablets with similar specs, so I assume the sluggishness is mostly software and not hardware. Hopefully that leaves room for further performance improvements.

5. Justgivemeaname

Justgivemeaname TS Rookie Posts: 36

Does anyone know if the kindle fire has expandable memory? I can't find a yes or no answer to that question anywhere. It seems like a good buy but with only 6 GB of user space it seems kind of small for something that can play movies.

6. Archean

Archean TechSpot Paladin Posts: 5,690   +95

@Julio
    With 50% improvement (I'm literally taking your words here !!), I think it is not a bad option for many users at all. In fact, I may decide to get it sometime soon as well ;)

7. A 50% improvement and yet it is still laggy? It must have been bloody awful before the update.

8. Kindle does not support expandable memory but u don't need it since u can stream your personal collection of movies, music, etc from your PC to the kindle using plex server/client which works great for me.