Amazon workers call for virtual 'Sick Out' to protest Coronavirus-related firings, work...

midian182

Staff member
Why it matters: Amazon has never had the best reputation when it comes to the way it treats employees, and that appears to be especially true during the Covid-19 crisis. Two workers who were fired after criticizing the company over its actions during the pandemic are calling for staff to phone in sick this Friday to protest work conditions.

A Medium post by Amazon Employees for Climate Justice (AECJ) explains that the group sent meeting invitations internally on April 10, so warehouse workers could talk about the conditions they’ve experienced during the Covid-19 outbreak.

Hours after the invitations were sent, Amazon fired two AECJ leaders— Emily Cunningham and Maren Costa— who had criticized the company’s treatment of warehouse workers during the pandemic. Amazon also deleted the meeting invitations and details from employees’ calendars, but the online event went ahead anyway and was attended by hundreds of workers.

Amazon said Cunningham and Costa were fired for “repeatedly violating internal policies,” which prevent employees from speaking publicly about the business without corporate justification and approval from executives.

“We support every employee’s right to criticize their employer’s working conditions, but that does not come with blanket immunity against any and all internal policies,” an Amazon spokeswoman said.

The AECJ is now calling for Amazon employees to call in sick this Friday, April 24, to show their dissatisfaction with the company. There will be a livestream on the day for warehouse workers to talk about their experiences.

AECJ is also demanding that Amazon reinstate Cunningham and Costa, change its communication policies, continue to implement new measures to protect workers from Covid-19, and make commitments to climate justice.

Earlier this month, it was reported that Amazon is building its own lab to test workers for Covid-19, though it’s unclear how long the process will take.

Permalink to story.

Hmm during a national emergency while the war powers act has been used, these workers that protest by refusing to go to work could actually be arrested. Look what happened to protestors and strikers during WW2. Also any other employee in any other company knows you don't use internal systems for unauthorized use, nor do you insult your boss or company publicly. I'm not sure why these people feel the rules shouldn't apply to them. I have no issue with Amazon firing them, and anyone that calls out sick on Friday without a Dr note should be marked as no call no show and receive a write up and loss of any raise or promotion they would otherwise be entitled to.

Hmm during a national emergency while the war powers act has been used, these workers that protest by refusing to go to work could actually be arrested. Look what happened to protestors and strikers during WW2. Also any other employee in any other company knows you don't use internal systems for unauthorized use, nor do you insult your boss or company publicly. I'm not sure why these people feel the rules shouldn't apply to them. I have no issue with Amazon firing them, and anyone that calls out sick on Friday without a Dr note should be marked as no call no show and receive a write up and loss of any raise or promotion they would otherwise be entitled to.

Pretty sure there is a difference between a worker making weapons or medical supplies, and warehouse worker picking someone's boredom purchase.

Pretty sure there is a difference between a worker making weapons or medical supplies, and warehouse worker picking someone's boredom purchase.

It depends doesn't it, they may be shipping vital items needed by hospitals. I worked it in one, you'd be surprised the amount of Amazon that was ordered.

"The walkout will be livestreamed"

You can bet that Amazon will be checking faces and will eventually fire each of them. May take awhile, but when it comes to employee's they guys are just your basic thugs ......

If people work in warehouses like this there should be strict rules, ppe, testing and temperature checks but quite sure it is limited to tape on floor spacing 2m which no adheres to and limited sanitizer available.
Alot of machinary, tools, devices, trolley etc including your order will be handled by multiple people and very much doubt enough measures have been put in place.
Companys will do the bare minimum the the letter of the law to continue trading and maximise profits at a profitable time.

It depends doesn't it, they may be shipping vital items needed by hospitals. I worked it in one, you'd be surprised the amount of Amazon that was ordered.
Sure, if Amazon was setting up a system like that - hospitals getting priority, not having limits on order items, etc - but they're not. They're just prioritizing by 'necessities', posting some 'anticipated shipping dates' that are months out (when it still ships a day or two later, and calling it a day.

Raise or promotion ?

Back