Amazon's Build It program lets you decide which concepts will be turned into products

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In context: Amazon in 2019 introduced Day 1 Editions, a program for early adopters that lets them get in on a limited production run of a new product. The idea was to use the program to gauge customer feedback on a particular product ahead of a broader rollout, but it prompted Amazon to question how they could get customers involved in the process even earlier.

Amazon has now unveiled Build It, a new Day 1 Editions program for uber-early adopters. The e-commerce giant will occasionally present some of its favorite concepts and customers can “vote” for the ones they want to see Amazon make by pre-ordering them. Should a concept amass the requisite number of pre-orders in a 30-day period, Amazon will start making it and the early birds will be among the first to receive it.

Amazon said pre-orders will carry a special price and users will only be charged if and when a product ships. If a pre-order goal is not met, the product won’t be made and nobody will be charged.

A handful of Build It concepts are already up for pre-order including a smart sticky note printer, a smart cuckoo clock and a smart nutrition scale. All utilize Alexa and are priced under $90 – check each individual product page for more information or to register your interest.

As of writing, the smart sticky note printer has reached 58 percent of its pre-order goal and has until March 19 to meet the remainder of its goal.

Permalink to story.

All I can say is I hope they have a better success rate and put in safeguards to keep contributors from getting it in the tail. From my point of view that has been the single greatest downfall of KickStarter ....

$90 or $120 for a tiny printer that uses rolls of paper like a calculator does seems a bit excessive!! I can't wait to see how the secondary market affects the price. Seems like a good idea for people who forget things easily ie what did I walk in the bedroom to do

Back