Amazon's Fire Phone is a colossal flop, analytics data indicates

Shawn Knight

Staff member

amazon fire smartphone sales phone fire phone

As Facebook and Microsoft before it have already found out, breaking into the crowded smartphone market is no easy task. Amazon launched its oft-rumored Fire Phone last month but reviews of the device were lukewarm and sales may be even worse.

Apple and BlackBerry are the only companies that give specific values for device sales in their financial results. That makes it a bit difficult to gauge sales but The Guardian recently compiled the latest data from Chitika and comScore to give us a pretty good estimate and it appears that Amazon has a dud on their hands.

Chitika measures sales by looking at activity on its ad network. The firm found the Fire Phone accounted for just 0.02 percent of activity during the 20 days following its release. That doesn't give us a solid figure but it's a start.

comScore, meanwhile, recorded 173 million smartphones in use in the US during a three month period ending in June.  As the publication notes, that figure is rising by 1-2 million each month.

That said, assuming the Fire Phone shows up on Chitika's network as often as other phones, we can then estimate that there are roughly 26,400 in circulation. Doing a bit more complicated math involving indexing and allowing for margins of error, The Guardian concludes that Amazon has likely sold no more than 35,000 Fire Phones.

In comparison, Apple sold more than nine million iPhones during launch weekend last year while Samsung sold "millions" of its Galaxy S5 on launch day.

Permalink to story.

I cannot fathom why anyone would buy the Fire, I am not a specs ***** but they should have foregone the silly camera tracking and put in a 1080 display panel.

Not surprised at all. It's a mediocre phone hardware wise and it's missing key software that make smartphones so useful in the first place. It really does seem like Amazon just went through the motions to get this device to the market. They are going to have to put in a heck of a lot more effort than this if they want to make their mark in the insanely crowded mobile world.

Well DUH! amazon creates a phone that can only be used on ONE network. then they focus on profit...how can the device make as much profit for amazon as possible...its really not a phone as much as it is a portable advertisement for amazon. what do they expect to happen?

"Well DUH! amazon creates a phone that can only be used on ONE network."

How quickly we forget... When Apple introduced their iPhone several years ago, it was only available on one network - AT&T. While I am not an Apple fan (nor an AT&T fan), I seem to remember that the iPhone sales did quite well during this exclusive carrier agreement period of time.

"Well DUH! amazon creates a phone that can only be used on ONE network."

How quickly we forget... When Apple introduced their iPhone several years ago, it was only available on one network - AT&T. While I am not an Apple fan (nor an AT&T fan), I seem to remember that the iPhone sales did quite well during this exclusive carrier agreement period of time.
But it was also the only smartphone worth having for the first few years of the smartphone market.

If the Fire Phone was running stock Android, I bet it would have sold twice as much. But that wouldn't be enough. Too many gimmicks.

You can't just launch a phone with a couple notable features and overlook appearance, style and elegance. By now it should be well known how to do it with Apple as an example. People want more than just a few vague features, they want beauty and technical quality.

Amazon finally let their hubris catch up to them. People didn't buy the Kindle Fire because they wanted a vending machine, it was successful because it was a decent tablet at a great price. This phone is a vending matching masquerading as a premium phone, and has the hubris to tie itself to one network and price itself into the same class as established devices.

Did Amazon even survey it's customers? "Hey guys, would you give up your iPhone or Android device for a full price phone from us? It'll be even easier to buy stuff!" Seriously, I think the Fire Phone would have failed even if Amazon had mailed them to Prime members for free.

Back