AMC Theatres closing all US locations for up to 12 weeks, Regal, too

Shawn Knight

Staff member
The big picture: With theaters now shutting down across the country, could this be the catalyst that leads to the end of the theater era? Do we even need theaters anymore or are they simply a holdover from an earlier time? Would you be sad to see theaters disappear or is it time to say goodbye? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below.

AMC Theatres on Tuesday closed all of its cinemas in the US in order to comply with local, state and federal directives to help slow the spread of Covid-19.

AMC, which operates the largest theatrical chain in the country, said its theaters will remain closed for at least six to 12 weeks. The situation is being monitored closely, we’re told, with the company remaining flexible on reopening in accordance with CDC guidelines.

Regal on Tuesday also closed all locations due to current circumstances.

The response to the coronavirus has escalated rapidly in the US over the past week. Yesterday, government officials recommended that people avoid public gatherings of 10 people or more. Officials in more than a dozen states have also forced public venues like bars and restaurants to close. Such mandates make operating businesses like movie theaters virtually impossible.

NBCUniversal this week said it will make Universal Pictures films available to rent from home on the same day as their global theatrical releases.

Hollywood has been interested in the concept of letting people rent first-run movies at home for over a decade but figuring out how to do so without cannibalizing movie theaters has kept the plan from materializing in any meaningful capacity.

Masthead credit: Empty theater by Fer Gregory. Home theater by Koksharov Dmitry.

Permalink to story.

We have a pretty elaborate setup at the house, 5.1 receiver with subwoofer, floorstanding speakers with a center speaker and surround speakers, with a 75" QLED HDTV. All of it setup by yours truly and I'm pretty good with audio/video.
So we got a theater-like experience at home, but still enjoy going out to the Regal theaters a few times a year for big releases or movies, and was looking forward to seeing Godzilla vs Kong later this year in theaters.
So, I think there is a market still for massive cinema's, but I also believe more and more folks are content staying in as bigger HDTV's have become crazy affordable (amazing what a 70" HDTV will sell for) and there is sooo much streaming content.

My wife and I stopped going to the theater many years ago because of the noise and other undesirable conditions. We wait until movies stream or borrow them on disc from our local library.

My wife and I stopped going to the theater many years ago because of the noise and other undesirable conditions.
I know what you mean. We still go to theaters but choose to go on week nights or sometimes Sunday night to the last showing of a particular movie which is usually after 10 p.m. There are few other patrons at that time and very often we are the only ones in the theater. Yes, I know that is not an option nor a good solution for most people. That's precisely why the theater is so empty to begin with and why we go at that time.

When I used to go during peak times, we would typically wait until the movie had been out for awhile to reduce the "crowds" but now with late nights we can see movies almost right after its release. We usually go to a small, local chain theater but I still go to AMC or Regal fairly regularly. Oh well, not anymore for awhile.

Some movies MUST be seen in theaters on huge screens and great surround sound.

But the movie "experience" is getting to be, in many cases, an unpleasant one. Ever since they allowed people to order food (you know, burgers, Nachos, hot dogs, Pizza, etc) all you hear now is people constantly wrapping / unwrapping, opening / closing food bags and pizza boxes, munching and slurping loudly....add to that smart phones ringing and *****s answering them.

Screw that experience!

And theater chains are wondering why less and less people now go to theaters....!

"Are traditional movie theaters still necessary?"

It's a good question but let's not forget that there are still a lot of Drive In's out there that are financially solvent and this virus might just make them more popular .... oh yeah, no necking during the feature, that's way too close! LOL

I thought things had reached their maximum levels of stupid... I was wrong as evidenced by the nonsense this article describes.

Back