AMD Athlon 200GE Review: $55 Zen CPU

Julio Franco

Staff member
We were told all "ryzen" will be unlocked

Very nice review

The video-encoding and -decoding engine could´ve been tested, too.
I´m also curious what thisone can do with a GTX 1050 ti or even an RX570 4GB

I think the 200GE is very usable for media-pc in your livingroom
or as office-pc.

I also heared there will be 220GE and 240GE, too.

Very nice review

or as office-pc.

Indeed, had AMD allowed overclocking this could have been the new budget king.

Put it in a laptop then I'm good. It's 2.5 better than what I have right now, and it's more than enough to accomplish what I need done. A $300 laptop with that in it? Sold.

Very nice review

or as office-pc.

Indeed, test it with a >= RX570 card.

Pretty impressive, IMO. Would have bought it for my HTPC if I didn't already have the G4560.

I imagine that the locked clocks are to help with differentiation from the 220GE and 240GE (I would guess that the 220GE will have higher clocks, and the 240GE both higher clocks and more CUs).

Put it in a laptop then I'm good. It's 2.5 better than what I have right now, and it's more than enough to accomplish what I need done. A $300 laptop with that in it? Sold.

A Ryzen 3 2200U with similar specs already exists. Unfortunately it's not available in anything as inexpensive.

Pretty impressive, IMO. Would have bought it for my HTPC if I didn't already have the G4560.

I imagine that the locked clocks are to help with differentiation from the 220GE and 240GE (I would guess that the 220GE will have higher clocks, and the 240GE both higher clocks and more CUs).

A Ryzen 3 2200U with similar specs already exists. Unfortunately it's not available in anything as inexpensive.
I looked up benchmarks and A-12 9800 isn't too far off from the 220GE. Perhaps it will hit the price point, though I'm not expecting it.

If you come back to this review, we would like to see some HTPC tests. Namely 4k@60 h264/h265 with and without hdr, 100 mbps bitrate; and 4k@60 vp9 (youtube). Probably would not have a problem with them (the youtube is probably the most questionable) but you never know. Thanks!

If you come back to this review, we would like to see some HTPC tests. Namely 4k@60 h264/h265 with and without hdr, 100 mbps bitrate; and 4k@60 vp9 (youtube). Probably would not have a problem with them (the youtube is probably the most questionable) but you never know. Thanks!

I totally agree I don't see how they missed these types of tests. I would also love to see I/O related benchmarks. This would be a perfect NAS or HTPC chip if it can support 4K HDR 60 FPS.

But before your shrek
---> Movie franchise ads here? :) Author, assume you meant "shriek", please fix.
If you did mean shrek at least clarify which of the movies it is. :)

I’m bored on a bus and I just priced up a pentium G4560, motherboard 8 gb RAM and the same for an Athlon 200GE and the Pentium setup is slightly cheaper in the U.K. So I think If you’re going to go for a discrete graphics card then the pentium is the better choice as it’s clearly faster at being a CPU. But if you’re relying on the integrated graphics then then Athlon is the better buy. But I would find that odd, I mean neither of these things have graphics that can even really play most games at 720p. The Ryzen APUs really are a far better option than either for really not much more extra money.

What does "Diffused in USA" which is printed on chip mean?
It means Marketing. So they can slap something on the label which says "we still employ a few people in the country where we're incorporated!" Apple's is: "Designed in California." MS has their text, too but I forget the exact wording.

It means Marketing. So they can slap something on the label which says "we still employ a few people in the country where we're incorporated!" Apple's is: "Designed in California." MS has their text, too but I forget the exact wording.

TBH the "designed in the USA" is really the part that you do want. Those jobs are higher paying.

If there is a job that needs to be done, we should want it and be willing to do said job.

So you want American's working at Foxconn instead of the Chinese? Well, safety net stock just went up 10pts. They'll offer $30,000 a year with 80 hour work weeks. Oh and did I mention the big fat tax break your city will be giving them? Since when did America become the land of desperate? My first boss always told me "work smarter, not harder". You'd have to be a fool to work yourself to the bone for less then a pittance.

If there is a job that needs to be done, we should want it and be willing to do said job.

So you want American's working at Foxconn instead of the Chinese? Well, safety net stock just went up 10pts. They'll offer $30,000 a year with 80 hour work weeks. Oh and did I mention the big fat tax break your city will be giving them? Since when did America become the land of desperate? My first boss always told me "work smarter, not harder". You'd have to be a fool to work yourself to the bone for less then a pittance.
Because people like you say things like this:

TBH the "designed in the USA" is really the part that you do want. Those jobs are higher paying.
people who think like you shipped out all the middle class jobs, only keeping the few high end elite jobs, then wondered why nobody has any money. Americans want to work for an honest living, make an honest wage, and live a decent life, not be reliant on the government for handouts like europe and canada do.

Not everyone can be an apple designer. Even if everyone COULD, there are not that many of those positions. If you dont have middle class jobs, your economy will crumble sooner or later. By moving all those jobs overseas, the middle class has shrunk tremendously, as has their buying power, and by extension, their ability to grow an economy.

Because people like you say things like this:

people who think like you shipped out all the middle class jobs, only keeping the few high end elite jobs, then wondered why nobody has any money. Americans want to work for an honest living, make an honest wage, and live a decent life, not be reliant on the government for handouts like europe and canada do.

Not everyone can be an apple designer. Even if everyone COULD, there are not that many of those positions. If you dont have middle class jobs, your economy will crumble sooner or later. By moving all those jobs overseas, the middle class has shrunk tremendously, as has their buying power, and by extension, their ability to grow an economy.

Yep, I was a corporate CEO through the 80s - now. I'll let you in on a secret, there are a lot more middle class jobs in America outside the manufacturing industry and better paying.

The problem isn't people like me, it's Americans who think the only middle class jobs in America should be manufacturing. And no, you are not an elitist if you sell cars, service computers, or work as a warehouse manager. By moving all those jobs overseas you can finally enjoy clean air and jobs that don't require you to kill yourself for your boss. So yeah, sorry for pushing a positive change and improving your life. You can go back to the coal mines now.

Nothing I said would lead you to think that. You can take your accusation back.

Really?

I rest my case.

Really? I rest my case.
You are the one assuming I was referring to unfair wages. No one should be put under those harsh environments. You seem pleased about their conditions though. As long as the higher paying jobs come to America, you don't care who has to do the others. My idea is to make conditions better for everyone not just the Americans. I belief all imports coming from countries with worse conditions than our own should be banned period. Then we can decide what wage we are willing to pay for the same job locally.

Now seriously did you have a case to rest? No you didn't.

Back