AMD Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 driver brings 25% boost to Saints Row IV, more

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Following up on the Catalyst 13.8 beta driver released earlier this month, AMD has released a second revision with scattered tweaks, including new frame pacing support for World of Warcraft, Sniper Elite, Watch Dogs and Tomb Raider when playing on a Crossfire setup. Frame pacing was introduced with the previous beta build to help ensure frames are displayed smoothly. The feature should be enabled globally by default but you can configure it on a per-application basis in the Catalyst Control Center.

Today's update also improves performance in many titles, not least of which is a 25% boost when playing Saints Row IV on ultra at 1080p and a 9% gain in Splinter Cell: Blacklist when it's running on ultra at 2560x1600. AMD doesn't provide specific numbers, but Radeon owners can also expect better performance out RIPD on single GPUs, Minimum and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow on multiple GPUs and Final Fantasy XIV on both types of graphics configurations.

Catalyst 13.8 beta 2 (release notes): Desktop | Mobile | Linux

Additionally, AMD has solved corruption and image quality issues in Doom 3 BFG Edition, Far Cry 3 and Van Helsing, particularly when playing the latter two with anti-aliasing enabled in the CCC.

Naturally, there are always kinks to iron out and the company says it's aware of at least three more issues with the latest beta drivers: Crossfire used with Overdrive can result in secondary GPUs running at 99%, enabling Crossfire can cause the secondary GPU's PCIe bus speed to be reported as x1, and apparently BioShock Infinite's new DLC doesn't play nice with frame pacing, so you'll probably want to disable that for the time being.

Permalink to story.

They obviously want me to keep my 2 x 5850s and not change to a Nvidia setup. Will be testing this out this evening. With any luck they've refined the FP even further.

Good to see that AMD is finally putting out decent driver. All we need now is modern installer and an easier way to clean install.

Who said it was a decent driver? AMD?
Its a great driver dude, don't know what your problem is, something tells me you own an NVidia card (checked your profile yes you do).

Good to see that AMD is finally putting out decent driver. All we need now is modern installer and an easier way to clean install.
Well now if you just install the latest driver, it just overwrites the previous one. Its been working that way for me.

Its a great driver dude, don't know what your problem is, something tells me you own an NVidia card (checked your profile yes you do).

Well now if you just install the latest driver, it just overwrites the previous one. Its been working that way for me.

I get better game performance and stability if I clean install.

The drivers may not be as fancy and stable as nVidias, but they get the job done...

Just got this installed on my daughter's computer - she's gonna need this for FFXIV ARR next week. Now I just need an upgrade for my other daughter's machine. X58 mobo is dead for her i7 930 upgrade and those mobos have now skyrocketed in price since they stopped production. I was really hoping Haswell was going to blow me away so I could hand down my current rig, but it wasn't enough for me to do it.

Yeah. It muttered something something about incompatible hardware but I think you're right.
Maybe my GTX 660 will be compatible. It is a generation older. lol
I usually install over the older one although some people recommend the use of Driver Sweeper. I found it made no difference.
I usually install over the older driver to.

Just got this installed on my daughter's computer - she's gonna need this for FFXIV ARR next week. Now I just need an upgrade for my other daughter's machine. X58 mobo is dead for her i7 930 upgrade and those mobos have now skyrocketed in price since they stopped production. I was really hoping Haswell was going to blow me away so I could hand down my current rig, but it wasn't enough for me to do it.

Wait for IB-E or Haswell E.

I used to do that. I think I should just do that again since the uninstaller doesnt work sometimes.
I went ahead and did what you did just to try it since I had been just overwriting the old ones. Haven't noticed any differences yet personall, but I have not really tested some extreme gaming yet.

You could also wait for Broadwell-E but why don't you rather wait for her to get married then it'll become her husbands problem, not to mention cheaper as well. :)

I went ahead and did what you did just to try it since I had been just overwriting the old ones. Haven't noticed any differences yet personall, but I have not really tested some extreme gaming yet.

I just saw better performance in BF3. Like 4-5 FPS better. Nothing major.

for your information I have 2 5870's and a 6950 . I was not knocking it I just asked who said it was a good driver? I also don't look at another mans profile

You could also wait for Broadwell-E but why don't you rather wait for her to get married then it'll become her husbands problem, not to mention cheaper as well. :)

Haha - my daughters are 6 and 8... it's going to be a really long time before she gets married. This is already my 8 year old's third computer so I'm betting she'll be asking for an upgrade within the next year or two.

That is what profiles are for xD. It is a good driver if it does what it says.
Was about to say the same thing lol, like I make my profile specifically for others, not myself. What am I gonna do, stare at it when I can't remember who I am.

Second, yea it's an excellent driver, works flawlessly in my useable so far and has only been an improvement across the board.

Third, then comment in a different way, if you did not mean that in a bad way, why would you write it that way. It sounds sarcastic especially seeing this is beta 2 of 13.8 which has been out a month and the second part came today. When you write it like that, it reads like sarcasm in that sense. However since you did not say it that way intentionally, sorry for jumping the gun.

Was about to say the same thing lol, like I make my profile specifically for others, not myself. What am I gonna do, stare at it when I can't remember who I am.

Second, yea it's an excellent driver, works flawlessly in my useable so far and has only been an improvement across the board.

Third, then comment in a different way, if you did not mean that in a bad way, why would you write it that way. It sounds sarcastic especially seeing this is beta 2 of 13.8 which has been out a month and the second part came today. When you write it like that, it reads like sarcasm in that sense. However since you did not say it that way intentionally, sorry for jumping the gun.

I am still running on 13.1. I am waiting for a new release since I skipped 13.4. I have a feeling it will be 13.9 at this rate xD.

I am still running on 13.1. I am waiting for a new release since I skipped 13.4. I have a feeling it will be 13.9 at this rate xD.
I thought you said you were on the 13.8 beta? I don't even think I tried 13.1, I think I unintentionally skipped it somehow. Why not grab the new betas and blast away on those, I've been rocking them (btw I tried your idea and uninstalled then clean installed beta 2 13.8 to make sure)

I thought you said you were on the 13.8 beta? I don't even think I tried 13.1, I think I unintentionally skipped it somehow. Why not grab the new betas and blast away on those, I've been rocking them (btw I tried your idea and uninstalled then clean installed beta 2 13.8 to make sure)

I rolled back to stable.

Back