AMD dropping multiplier while playing games

tehMarkerer

Hello everyone ... I have a problem with this almost about 2 months and still can't figure out how to have static multiplier ... Everytime it drops everything starts to lag in games ... I have an AMD Phenom X3 8450 2.1ghz NO OC cooled by Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev. 2 temperatures while Idle 37-39 °C and while gaming 43-46 °C monitored by SpeedFan ... I even turned off Cool 'n' Quiet in BIOS and it didn't help and even in Windows ( I have Xp ) I switched power management to Always ON and didn't helped anything ... I even tryied overclocking programs so i could set my multiplier to 10.5x for having it stable but I couldn't even change that because all the options for managing multiplier were locked for unknown reason :( ... Please someone give me some more tips because i'm getting hopeless on this :(

It would probably help to know what motherboard you're using.

See if you can find AMD C1E Support in your BIOS and disable it, that might help.

Its gotta be a option in BIOS, turn off C1E like Mizzou said. That should make your Mhz stay.

C1E is for power saving you want it off. gl

I have ASUS M2N MX-SE Plus ... I barely think that i will find something like that in BIOS :/ But i will try to find ... I even tryied to reset the BIOS by removing the battery or the jumper on MB ... Thanks for info gonna try it

Update : I've tryied every possible combination in BIOS to disable or enable some features but nothing worked and that C1E or something like that isn't in my BIOS ... I don't understand I even updated my BIOS to the newest version from manufactuer site :/

You havent tried "EVERYTHING"

First lets get this out of the way, with tinkering with your motherboard at anytime, could you have had the possibility of damaging it?

If not, Then

Second, Lets assume there is no damage, Test your power supply to make sure its not over stressing, Make sure to clean any dust or debris out of your computer completely, as believe it or not it can cause for you to suffer dramatically in power/ performance loss.

If not, Then

Third, Go ahead and power off your PC, Disconnect everything from the back, and open up your case, Scan through all of the connections and memorize them, slowely disconnecting everything. Clean whatever you can, and connect everything back into its proper spot.

If not, Then i apologize but i cannot help you any further.

Unfortunetly my problem was resolved with a BIOS update, and changing my Power supply.

Hopefully it's not a Motherboard problem on your end, and everything fixes itself.

Good luck!

Well I bought not long time ago a Fortron 400W power supply but I don't know how to stress test it :eek: ... I couldn't damaged my MB I know that for sure ... Everything is connected properly because I had problems having it connected badly but I reconnected few things and the computer was running fine ... How could I stress test my PSU ? Could that help ? Because I don't know why for god sake is the multiplier going down :/

I'm not too familiar with software programs that can check the voltage on your PSU, but i can tell you that if your multiplier is going down then obviously there's a power issue somewhere along the lines of your PSU or Video Card.

What i personally did was switch from my 500 Watt to a 750 Watt.

Hm that is interesting because I bought ATi HD5670 1gb GDDR5 And that card has minimum 400W and I had like 325W PSU so I bought a new one ...

Sorry for double post but I think what can make the problem I'm going to downgrade my BIOS since I noticed a lots of users who got ASUS motherboards are swearing for lower performance after upgrading BIOS so I'm going to downgrade and let you know if something has changed

Its worth a go, but I would still download HWMonitor and check your voltages whilst gaming to see how they handle it.

It will give you current readings, minimum readings, and maximum readings for all your voltages, positive and negative.

Try that, and get back to use with the figures.

I'm no expert on this, but that all looks OK to me, as long as the CPU temperatures can be trusted, as a maximum of 33'C seems very low.

Assuming it is good, I'd say the issue with a setting in BIOS, as mentioned above by other people that have commented in this thread previously.

I see that you have an AM2 motherboard with an AM2+ processor, it's possible that you may need a BIOS update for the Phenom X3 to run properly. According to the ASUS site the current BIOS version is 0501, if you're already this version then problem lies elsewhere. If not, I'd definitely try upgrading to see if that solves the problem.

There were some issues with ACC in the AM2 to AM2+ progression but think these only applied to motherboards running AMD chipsets and not Nvidia. Also, if the Cpu multiplier is on auto it might be worth trying to set it manually.

Well I was searching a long time last night over the internet and many people were having problems after updating the latest versions of BIOS like I did and lost many options to overclock So i was like ... Okay i'm going to downgrade so I'm going to downgrade my BIOS but i'm pretty scared if I screwed up something :/ I did Upgrade but Downgrade hm that will be tricky

I've downgraded my BIOS and nothing has changed :( I guess I'm screwed now for sure I've done everything and nothing helped

Back